Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who to use to ship an engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mockmaw
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing an engine from someone in Texas and we're trying to find the least expensive way to ship it. I've heard a recommendation of ForwardAir, but they want $362 to ship it (which seems very high.)

Does anyone have any recommendations? In the meantime I'll be searching the old posts, but I imagine prices change over time. Thanks!
2teeners
most freight companies are a rip off now, unless you can get the "discounted rate". why don't you see if you can ship it via a friends company frt line. I know I get %60 off of the rates they quoted you.

If the engine's near Dallas-Ft Worth, I'll ship it for you. I'd guess about $150.
Lawrence
Did you call Greyhound or Amtrack?
Mockmaw
Engine is in Austin, which I don't believe is close enough to D/FW.

I have not tried calling Amtrack/Greyhound. Is there a special 'department' I should contact, or should I just find an 800 number and see what happens?

I appreciate the suggestions so far, thanks!
campbellcj
I don't know if they do business in your area, but I had an engine shipped by Oak Harbor Freight last Fall and they did a great job for a very reasonable price; I think it was $110 from Seattle WA to LA, Calif for a crated 911 motor.
cha914
Thats strange, I used forward air last year and it was about 90bucks including insurance to ship from Austin to Atlanta, Georgia.

You know that if you use them you have to drop it off at their place and pick it up from the nearest international airport...I think they will deliever, but its alot more expensive.

You might want to hollar at Jake Raby, as he ships alot of engines and he was the one who recommend forward air...maybe he has found a better deal now?

Tony C.
campbellcj
The shipper I mentioned was door-to-door, but it has to be a business. (I had them ship directly to my mechanic). Residential service is a lot more, if you can get them to do it at all.
Mockmaw
Well, things didn't pan out for the engine so I won't be having it shipped after all, but I appreciate all the help and advice. I'm back to looking for another rebuilt engine or rebuilding my own.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.