914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Red-Beard
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
bondo
Yikes! who did that? Anyone we know? smile.gif At least they said please smile.gif Did everything make it unharmed?
Red-Beard
no names
Jenny
QUOTE(bondo @ Nov 22 2004, 11:53 AM)
At least they said please smile.gif

Is that what it says? I thought it said "UP DUMASS" lol2.gif

Jen
mike_the_man
Was there an entire transmission in there at one point? Thats a pretty beat up looking box. I bet a lot of stuff fell out.
mike_the_man
QUOTE(Jenny @ Nov 22 2004, 11:59 AM)

Jen

biggrin.gif Now that you mention that, it does kinda look like that. biggrin.gif
bondo
I wonder what it looked like before it left.. I once shipped a couple heavy things (~20 lbs each), and I packed them very carefully... large box, 3-4" of packing popcorn between the items and all the way around the items. Everything was packed tightly, and nothing could move at all. Lots of tape, there was no way it could come open.. I was quite satisfied that it would make it unharmed. But someone or something at UPS ripped an entire corner off the box, and all the popcorn leaked out! Then they tossed the box around enough that one of the heavy items beat the crap out of the other. Moral of the story: never underestimate UPS... and if you really care, pack it in a wooden crate.
J P Stein
Heh.....I'm pretty anal about packing "stuff".

I once sent a 2.4/2.7 crank & rods to a guy.
The parts were fine, but he raved about the box.....of course I emailed instructions as to how to open the thing (screwed & glued except for the "open here" side). Fortunately he had a screwdriver. biggrin.gif

Even UPS couldn't fuck up that thing.
Red-Beard
QUOTE(Jenny @ Nov 22 2004, 11:59 AM)

Jen

laugh. Maybe...
Toast
I do shipping and recieving every day.

Looks like that was an old used box to begin with. Then it was taped to death with cheep tape that probably didn't stick when it was first taped anyway.
If that was all the items that were in it, it looks like the box was Way too big for the items. Or if anything, definatly missing a sh*tload of packing material. slap.gif
Dr Evil
Ask Bob O. When he shipped me some wheels in two boxes and only 1.5 showed up. F UPS! finger.gif I bet I know whose stuff that is...I hope you can still use it.
jd74914

Thats what I read. rolleyes.gif Then I thought about how stupid the guy was because he couldn't spell dumb Too much beer.gif i guess.
BMartin914
Doesn't surprise me...

Worked at UPS for a short period of time. If you knew how those employees treated boxes marked "fragile" you would never ship with them again.
IronHillRestorations
Anything shipped via UPS should be able to pass a three foot drop test. That means the box should have enough packing material to cushion the contents from a three foot drop.

Doesn't look like the shipped packed that box worth a darn, let alone the ability to survive a three foot drop.
Red-Beard
I'm probably in deep shit now...

But, a sense of humor is essential to owning a 914!

_My_ belief: The packing material _leaked_ out of he box. rolleyes.gif
Joe Bob
Shit....don't know how I missed this thread....THAT was my transmission. ar15.gif

It was boxed in a smaller box and then reboxed, popcorn in each one including an extra 30lbs of packing material.

Redbeard was being nice....UPS gorillas really hosed that thing.

My insurance claim goes into today....

BTW....the UP DUMASS is not my hand/printing writing.... :finger2: UPS
aircooledboy
ohmy.gif NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.gif

That was an entire transmission at some point? chair.gif
Joe Bob
The rear cover plate with gears was in a seperate package inside the box...I am surprised the mounting ears were not broken off.

Even though the plate came thru OK....the gears are lost in space. I've been shipping crap....errrr, vintage parts for quite awhile....THAT's NOT how it left MY shop.

To ME....it looks like someone fucked up at UPS and repacked it....badly.

I insured it and it shipped at 100lbs. It showed up at James' place 30 lbs light.
airsix
Guys, you gotta think about this logically. You are going to pay less than the cost of a meal to ship a heavy package across the country with up-to-the-hour tracking and an ETA of just a couple of days. That alone is amazing.

Your package is going to pass through several sorting facilities in different states, travel thousands of miles by truck, train, and air. It will be moved from docks to box-cars to trailers to shelves to rollers to chutes to belts. It will be placed in semi-trailers where packages are stacked 8ft high. Will it be at the top of the 8ft stack or the bottom? Imagine the force placed on your package at the bottom of the 8ft stack when that 18-wheeler hit's a Montana-sized chuck-hole at 65mph. Imagine the forces on your package as the whole load shifts as a truck breaks to avoid a deer (or a moron in a Durango). Ever seen train-cars being linked up? It's not very gentle on your package burried deep in that box-car.

I'm sure that UPS would oblige if you'd like to have your packages delivered on a velvet pillow, but don't expect to pay the typical $15.

Everybody thinks package damage happens when some guy has his hands on your box. Nope. It happens durring the travel or sorting. Sometimes something goes wrong and a good package is damaged - but 90% of all damage I saw was due to poor packaging. I did shipping for a national scientific lab. They sent and recieved huge-value delicate instruments to/from other labs on a weekly basis via UPS. They never had any problems because they packed their shipments according to their fragility and value. If you're shipping $35,000 worth of precision optics, you don't put it in an old shoe box and then pitch a fit when it get's crushed.

You can't send a 100lb transmission in a single-layer carboard box. I don't care how much bubble-wrap you use. HINT: If your stuff feels like it's about to rip out of the bottom of the box when you pick it up then you need a pallet or a crate.

-Ben M. (Used to work for UPS as a kid. People who don't handle packages gently get fired. Period.)
Joe Bob
There's no arguing your point...but even WITH proper packaging there are screwups.....

I've had three claims in ten years. One of them actually had tire tracks over the package.....
Red-Beard
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 30 2004, 01:55 PM)
the UP DUMASS is not my hand/printing writing

It sure sounds like you! wub.gif

ar15.gif UPS smoke.gif
SLITS
Destroyed a set of LT1 Aluminum Heads by running a forklift thru them.

Destroyed a tranny by giving it the 10' drop test.

Numerous other instances, but no interest in detailing them.

UPS may be "cheap", but they handle freight like shit. I drive a truck at times and know how stuff shifts and bounces. What they do to a package is not a "shift and bounce" problem - It's their "care" in transfer. finger.gif
airsix
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 30 2004, 03:57 PM)

UPS does not use forklifts in any of their facilities. You're either thinking of another shipper or it wasn't a forklift incident.

-Ben M.
SLITS
QUOTE(airsix @ Nov 30 2004, 06:15 PM)
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 30 2004, 03:57 PM)

UPS does not use forklifts in any of their facilities. You're either thinking of another shipper or it wasn't a forklift incident.

-Ben M.

It's the only way I could think of that they busted an aluminum head!
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Nov 30 2004, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE(mikez @ Nov 30 2004, 01:55 PM)
the UP DUMASS is not my hand/printing writing

It sure sounds like you! wub.gif

ar15.gif UPS smoke.gif

Gee thanks....anyone stupid enuff to put UP DUMASS deserves the way it was treated.....

I have printed stickers that say UP......in three different languages....
Red-Beard
Well, it really said "up please"...
airsix
I forgot to mention one of the biggest issues of all - OTHER PEOPLE'S STUFF. Many packages get damaged by other peoples poorly packaged er... packages. I've seen a guy ship off a 170lb stack of plow blades with nothing but a label slapped on the side. It's that sort of thing that will kill neighboring boxes. If you don't know what a plow blade looks like let's just say it's a big sharp pointed piece of steel that you wouldn't want to sit on.

-Ben M.
Dr Evil
And UPS accepted it as such for shipping? I guess thats not their fault rolleyes.gif
airsix
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 1 2004, 10:20 AM)
And UPS accepted it as such for shipping? I guess thats not their fault rolleyes.gif

Good point. When I worked there I did on occasion have to refuse a package. You've never seen a person go postal like a person who sped across town to slip in just before the cutoff only to be told their package can't be shipped in it's current condition. Man I'm glad I don't have to do that sort of thing any more.

-Ben M.
michel richard
I used to think that I packed well enough the few times that I sold stuff long-distance; guess I'll add another layer of care, now.

How do you satisfy the 3 foot rule when you ship an entire engine ?

Michel Richard
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.