Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show Me Your Magnaflow or Flowmaster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hydroliftin
I am planning to replace the Supertrapp on my 4-cylinder Kerry Hunter header with a small Magnaflow or Flowmaster muffler. If you have a similar setup, please post photos of what it looks like installed, or what the uninstalled piece looks like after the flange connector. Also, if you know the size/model of the muffler that would be extra helpful.

Thanks,
cobra94563
I have a magnaflow, 2 in/2 out.
I don't know if it helps, cause I have a v8.
Pretty quiet, but not sure on a 4.

IPB Image

with the lower cover, the muffler is hidden.

IPB Image
McMark
This isn't a Kerry Hunter header, but it's a similar situation. I used a Hooker system from Summit. I recommend looking on there because you can narrow down the list by shape (round or oval), number of inlets, number of outlets, etc.

This is a 3" system, but it's on a turbo 1.7, so I just wanted BIG. Haven't run it yet, so I can't say anything about the sound.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Apr 14 2013, 08:30 AM) *

I have a magnaflow, 2 in/2 out.
I don't know if it helps, cause I have a V8

Chris -- Thanks for sharing. Your set up looks well engineered. I have a mechanic working on sorting out power & drivability issues on my 2 liter 4-cyl. The Kerry Hunter header works well, but he believes there is more power to be had by getting rid of the Supertrapp. On the dyno it gained 7 HP at the wheels just by removing the disks and running the Supertrapp fully open.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 14 2013, 08:35 AM) *

This is a 3" system, but it's on a turbo 1.7, so I just wanted BIG. Haven't run it yet, so I can't say anything about the sound.

Mark -- With the turbo this should be very quiet. Thanks for sharing. Also thanks for the tip on Summit. I guess they are not just for muscle cars after all.
THE STIG
Here are the shots, I will have to dig for the part # of this Magna Flow. You see it fits great. WAYYY better than the Super Trap/Phase 9 Silencer that was there before. Tolle Fab in Sac is the place. Mike is a PRO Race Car builder/Fabricator. Its the real deal.
THE STIG
I designed the system, including the hanger, routing and exit to include sizes. Mike made it a happen. Wanted a port hole, but not the tiny little pipe exit. Not straight either. The down angle looks right, this system sounds fantastic. I suppose the best description is that it does not sound like a Type 4 Volkswagen engine. I'll get the part number of the muffler later if you want it. Give me a call later in the day, I am working on the race car at the moment...
THE STIG
Exit tube.
silver74insocal
drooley.gif that looks dope Stig, what header does it go to?
THE STIG
Heres the muffler@ Summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-14210/

Thanks for the compliment...Header is OLD SCHOOL. Garrettson Racing Enterprises. This car was maintained for many years by Dwight Mitchell. He put it all together, for a Dentist in the Sacramento area. Early eighties I am guessing. Garrettson made several tuning parts for the 914. It has a few cracks on the stub pipe flanges, but it has held up well considering it age and use. I also include here my notes before fabrication. The only real change to the notes is which tube was inlet/outlet. actual system is opposite of planned. Just made for better routing. Also the muffler does not lay back at 45 degrees as shown. Not required. Muffler was very small, so the fit was good. I had the template for the hangar, but I tossed it. Easy to duplicate. Used a 2.0 upper ears to start out, then adjusted to offset the muffler to the right to allow for the connections. Muffler is actually spot welded to the hanger. It can be removed if need be to replace. etc.

THE STIG
vw505
Are the K/H headers still made?
hydroliftin
Thanks STIG! Your solution is elegant. I have seen other solutions to replacing the Supertrapp, but this is the first one I would use on my car. Well done.
hydroliftin
QUOTE(vw505 @ Apr 15 2013, 07:35 AM) *

Are the K/H headers still made?

No, but you can find used ones on e-bay or here from time to time.
THE STIG
QUOTE( @ Apr 15 2013, 07:38 AM) *

Thanks STIG! Your solution is elegant. I have seen other solutions to replacing the Supertrapp, but this is the first one I would use on my car. Well done.

No problem, if you want to see it for real, let me know. When I designed it, it had to be right. Cheap/Easy is usually not right, but this wasn't to bad compared to many of the systems out there, and if I needed heat, it would be a totally different deal.

THE STIG
speed metal army
Magnaflow!Sounds awesome.
Click to view attachment
My two in two out.Apologies for the crap picture.
Woody
I'm running a Kerry Hunter with a flowmaster. It was a 3 chamber mounted sideways exiting on the right. I cut out one chamber, shortened it by 6", and squeezed it straight out the back. It sounds really good and deep. It was a handful trying to weld the body of the muffler.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.