Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey 911 owners - can I get your opinion? Steering question....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
I have a semi dead spot at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel. It is not really dead - it is actually the only place where the steering feels normal. Move the wheel 4-6" either side of this spot and it is pretty stiff, and the wheel does not return to center. It is like a video game - but not in a good way.

Any ideas on where I should start? It is a 1977 911S

Everything (ball joints, tie rods) is fairly new (less than 2500 miles). Tires are wearing even. After doing a search over on Pelican, I degreased, cleaned and regreased the steering u-joints in the smugglers box. No change (just a messy smugglers box...).

Thanks *again* for any direction. Sorry for all of the questions regarding this car. I am really out of my element on this thing/trying to get knowledgeable.

Thanks -
Scott S
cary
How many miles on it?
Spoke
In that year 911 (1977), I think it uses the same rack as the 914. No difference except the coupler to the steering wheel.
brant
maybe the caster settings?
Scott S
I have searched and read and read and read. I think I am leaving this one to someone else. I just left Randy over at Boulder Autowerks a message to see if I can get an appointment - (after it quits snowing!).

Thanks all!!
Scott S
wndsrfr
Do a quick check of your toe-in....it sounds like a toe out situation to me.....
rwilner
I would have the alignment checked, but if all that other stuff is new, the steering rack seems like the most likely culprit.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rwilner @ Apr 15 2013, 05:35 PM) *

I would have the alignment checked, but if all that other stuff is new, the steering rack seems like the most likely culprit.

How about the universals at the upper part of the column ? They get tight sometimes. I'd disassemble and check them for smooth motion.
rwilner
I just re-read this. Did you get an alignment after doing the tie rods and ball joints? Tie rods would require an alignment directly after, and this could definitely be the source of the problem.
Scott S
Hi Rich -
I have only owned the car since January. It has been driven very little in the past 2-3 years (like 600 miles). The ball joints and tie rods were done in 2010.

I drove the car a bit when it first was delivered, and as I recall everything seemed fine - but I was listening to every noise/bump/etc as the car was new to me and I was trying to figure everything out. Because of this, I cannot say with any certanty that the car has had this steering issue from day one or not.

A month or so ago I threw the nose of the car up on jack stands to simply do some cleaning and detailing - and to drill off some wheel locks (the key was not included with the car!). While up in the air, I noticed that the passenger side swaybar arm had partially slid off of the actual bar (it was very close to the strut housing). I loosend it up, slid it back on the bar with absolutely no drama, and tightened it up. The car was on jack stands for probably two weeks while I continued cleaning.

When I put the car back on the ground and went for a drive, I had a clunk in the front end - but I do not remember the steering being as bad as it is now. I poked around under the car and found only one source of noise - the front sway bar makes a clunk moving horizontally throught the body. The arm I had re-attached still looked as it did after I fixed it. I figured the sway bar bushings were bad and ordered a new set (along with new drop links) from Weltmeister, but have yet to install them.

Here is the crazy part. On my next drive (when I noticed the steering was really stiff/not coming back to center), I also realised that the clunk in the front end had become far less noticable. It is absolutely still there - but way more quiet.

I do know for a fact that when the nose of the car was up on jack stands (with the front wheels off) the steering was very smooth. I went to full lock in both directions many many times while scrubbing the wheel wells.

confused24.gif crazy.
rwilner
QUOTE(Scott S @ Apr 17 2013, 04:03 PM) *

Hi Rich -
I have only owned the car since January. It has been driven very little in the past 2-3 years (like 600 miles). The ball joints and tie rods were done in 2010.

I drove the car a bit when it first was delivered, and as I recall everything seemed fine - but I was listening to every noise/bump/etc as the car was new to me and I was trying to figure everything out. Because of this, I cannot say with any certanty that the car has had this steering issue from day one or not.

A month or so ago I threw the nose of the car up on jack stands to simply do some cleaning and detailing - and to drill off some wheel locks (the key was not included with the car!). While up in the air, I noticed that the passenger side swaybar arm had partially slid off of the actual bar (it was very close to the strut housing). I loosend it up, slid it back on the bar with absolutely no drama, and tightened it up. The car was on jack stands for probably two weeks while I continued cleaning.

When I put the car back on the ground and went for a drive, I had a clunk in the front end - but I do not remember the steering being as bad as it is now. I poked around under the car and found only one source of noise - the front sway bar makes a clunk moving horizontally throught the body. The arm I had re-attached still looked as it did after I fixed it. I figured the sway bar bushings were bad and ordered a new set (along with new drop links) from Weltmeister, but have yet to install them.

If the sway bar bushings are perished, it's likely most of the other bushings are too...and here's where the slippery slope begins. If you search you can find a thread where I had a squeaky sway bar bushing (diagnosed by Rory). That led to a full suspension rebuild, front and rear!! Not to say you need this, I do know that after I swapped the sway bar bushings and before I rebuilt the rest of the suspension, my car felt very very different in a good way.

Also, the clunk and the dead spot may be unrelated. Clunks and squeaks are cured by replacing bushings in my experience.

Here is the crazy part. On my next drive (when I noticed the steering was really stiff/not coming back to center), I also realised that the clunk in the front end had become far less noticable. It is absolutely still there - but way more quiet.

I do know for a fact that when the nose of the car was up on jack stands (with the front wheels off) the steering was very smooth. I went to full lock in both directions many many times while scrubbing the wheel wells.

IMO -- and I am no professionnal, maybe Rory will chime in again -- but this definitely points to alignment. Of course, it could be some other component that is only cranky when it's under load, but if the action is smooth in the air then the rack, tie rods, spindles, steering linkage, etc. are probably ok.

confused24.gif crazy.

One last thing to check -- the bushing in the steering column disintegrates over time and this could also be the cause of your issue. Does your steering wheel have up/down/left/right play? Pull your steering wheel off and check it out. Mine had turned to dust, and it was a low mileage princess when I got it (62k).

Mitch Leland sells a replacement made of delrin that works a treat -- you can get it direct or at PP. I would avoid the metal 928 hammer-in part, as it really isn't made for the 911 and didn't work for me nearly as well.

in conclusion

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Scott S
Hi Rich -

There is very little - if any - play in the wheel. Seems very precise (maybe it is too tight...)

The car is running a 22mm weltmeister bar that was installed in 1994 (getting bushings was sure a pain).

We'll see. I need to call the shop back and get an appointment (now that the snow has stopped for a couple of days!).

Here is the car:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.