Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping various LARGE items
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I need to ship some bumpers and would like to hear how you guys have done it in the past.

I was thinking of wraping the bumper in that foam sheet and then 3-4 layers of brown paper. Will that work? Or should I wrap the bumpers in pieces of carboard?

Same question for a fiberglass front air dam. I don't want it to get broken so I will need a good packing method here.

UPS will be the shipper smile.gif

Thanks
GWN7
Send them by greyhound. Cheaper......

Front dam....double box it
Dr Evil
fedex is pretty cheap. I had one shipped in a box with peanuts for like $30. Some quotes are rediculously high as well as inaccurate.
VegasRacer
For large items, box it and pack it good. Then double box it with more padding. Greyhound is a great way to go for large items.
morph
cardboard box and with fed ex
best rated you can get,and we ship alot of parts.
keep the box smaller than 66"x12"x12"
boxstr
Ship UPS if you want the items to be damaged.
CCLINUSPS
xsboost90
anyone ever ship a motor?
If you don't really have time to pack them well.
Ship them via Grayhound.

Do it right the first time or don't complain
GWN7
Shipped a motor from Cal to here. The seller drained the oil and put it in a crate. Simple 2 X 4 framework on the bottom with chipboard for the top and sides. Went by truck, came up with load of icecream. Cost me $200 (ex wifes new husband is in the trucking business).
Hi_Fi_Guy
UPS Store has some very strict guidelines. They quoted me $35 to ship both bumpers andc even though I had them paqckaged very well it ended up being $80 by the time they sold me enough extra boxes & peanuts & crap to meet their standards.

I would do UPS but have them pick it up at yur location the truck driver's will not bitch about your packing and it will save you a lot.

Forward Air is always good, FedEx Ground, etc.
boxstr
I shipped a 914 motor, that was apart, case was not split. Packed it into large storage tub with lid. Used foam peanuts and then screwed the lid onto the tub with speednuts.
You can also ship a motor on a pallet at FORWARDAIR.
Check there website to see if they have a drop near you.
CCLINSHIPSAHOY
nebreitling
foward air rocks for big heavy stuff. had a motor shipped from texas to california for $105 or so. it was very well packed (thanks, Doug!) on a pallet, and made the trip fine. took only a few days in transit.

Doug also shipped fiberglass bumpers via fedex ground. arrived no worse for wear, probably because they were packed very TIGHT and secure.

i don't like the greyhound idea, only because it conjurs up bad memories of all the freaks i used to have to ride across the country with. i f-ing hate greyhound. old ladies that would throw candy at me, drunks passed at on my shoulder, vomit in the bathrooms, and militia freaks showing me their knife collections. but that has nothing to do with shipping.
GWN7
I shipped a front hood from North Dakota to Tennessee by Greyhound. Cost $30. No problems. Cargo goes under the bus, the freaks ride inside. biggrin.gif

I rode one Greyhound once...two guys behind me discussing which were the better jails to spend time in. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.