Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: push rods tube seal replacement, glorified
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
So, I'm going to pull my motor - a seemingly annual springtime tradition - to do some maintenance. The engine is an EA code 1973 1.7 liter. This time around I'm going to change my pushrod tube seals with some viton seals, replace the oil cooler seals, pull the engine tins and have them powder coated, examine a suspicious exhaust stud, and install the heretofore completely missing cooling flap/thermostat assembly.

Here's my question: While I'm In There would it make sense to modify my rocker arms to accept the 911 swivel foot adjusters? Similarly, I've thought about going to chromoly pushrods. But I'm not sure about this. The only reason for doing so would be an attempt to quiet the valve train. Zero lash with steel pushrods seems like it would make for a quieter engine. But in searching the forums I've read that some who've done this experienced much quieter operation, yet others have reported louder. Plus, I want to change the tubes. It bugs me that every time I'm under the engine my tubes are rusty [insert metaphor here].

What's the current opinion on this? Am I just making work for myself? I'm okay with that, but not if I'm doing something utterly stupid.

Thanks,
Marcus

wndsrfr
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Apr 13 2013, 10:05 PM) *

So, I'm going to pull my motor - a seemingly annual springtime tradition - to do some maintenance. The engine is an EA code 1973 1.7 liter. This time around I'm going to change my pushrod tube seals with some viton seals, replace the oil cooler seals, pull the engine tins and have them powder coated, examine a suspicious exhaust stud, and install the heretofore completely missing cooling flap/thermostat assembly.

Here's my question: While I'm In There would it make sense to modify my rocker arms to accept the 911 swivel foot adjusters? Similarly, I've thought about going to chromoly pushrods. But I'm not sure about this. The only reason for doing so would be an attempt to quiet the valve train. Zero lash with steel pushrods seems like it would make for a quieter engine. But in searching the forums I've read that some who've done this experienced much quieter operation, yet others have reported louder. Plus, I want to change the tubes. It bugs me that every time I'm under the engine my tubes are rusty [insert metaphor here].

What's the current opinion on this? Am I just making work for myself? I'm okay with that, but not if I'm doing something utterly stupid.

Thanks,
Marcus

The chromoly push rods are set to "loose zero" with the engine cold.....since they don't expand as much as the case and heads they end up at .006 with the engine hot, so still give that delightful sewing machine clickety clack.....wunderbar!

76-914
I thought the 1.7 already had the 911 adj's. If not Jake has them. I've had both and can't tell a difference in sound level.
nathansnathan
The 1.7 rockers have the right size hole to fit them.

The chromoly should theoretically be quieter cold than the aluminum and louder when hot because of expansion differences, but chromoly is less resonant than aluminum, too.

Since there are a lot of factors that may need to change to go the 911 swivel feet - deck rocker arms, cut push rods, maybe shimming rocker stands, maybe solid spacers, maybe heavy duty rocker studs, maybe have to enlarge the "rocker shaft bracket" holes, might need to shorten the adjusters themselves and re-slot them - I would not do this conversion as part of a while you're in there thing. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.