Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice - Selling 1975 2.0: Assistance with How to Sell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
kliney30
Hi Everyone -

I'm making the extremely difficult decision to sell my 914 this summer as I'm getting ready to leave the country for work reasons and don't want to let my car sit for a few years.

I've had it since 2003 and have done a good deal of work on the car (can list everything out if it helps) over the years, but have not had as much time over the last few. I have receipts dating back to 1975 including the original sales sticker, which I think is rare for this / any car, but this can validate the work that has been done over the years.

I really have no idea how to price the car.

Some quick details:
- Original Malaga red exterior (decent condition)
- 103,000 original miles on the engine & trans. New clutch installed less than 3K miles ago
- Minor rust (new rocker panels installed and underlying rust fixed at that point). Purchased a new trunk pan but have not installed. There is a little bit of rust in the back corner of the trunk, but not significant. This is the only rust I'm aware of.
- Tan seats with new tan carpeting installed. One seat has a few seam tears, but the driver's seat is in great shape. There is a seam on the dashboard
- Center console installed with all gauges working
- New speakers & radio / cd player installed
- Electronic ignition / points installed
- Original fuel injection
- New exhaust installed 2 years ago
- New tires
- Sway bar installed
- Fluids replaced
- New battery and no rust on the battery tray
- Last inspected in 2010, but passed every year previously without repairs. Depending on timing, I can probably inspect again before sale

I've done a lot more to the car but didn't want t list everything. I forgot to mention that it runs great. I've been looking for comparables on-line but it's so difficult to find a good match. So, I wanted to see if anyone could provide some guidance for how these cars could be valued, any feedback on which site to sell this, and any other selling tips, that would be much appreciated!

I'm having a hard time just thinking about selling her, but I guess the time has come.

Many thanks,
Evan (Philadelphia)
JawjaPorsche
Damn Evan, I feel your pain about selling your baby. Sounds like you have really taken good care of her. Posting lots of pictures of your teener will help to evaluate your car better. Be sure to include pictures of problem rust areas that teeners tend to have. Your documentation will definitely help with the value of your car. Good luck with your sale.
Cairo94507
Damn sorry to hear that but I am sure you will have another one in your future too.

As for selling, you have the right idea already. Pictures of the car showing all typical problem areas. Please spend the time to take some good shots showing the issues typically present on these cars. Also, if you have them, in-progress photos of the rust repair to the longs, etc.

A detailed list of all of the things you have done along with pictures of that stuff. Pictures sell cars. Then be prepared for the inquiries about the car.

I would suggest listing it here for a couple weeks if you have the time first. If you do not get any interest, list it on eBay with a high reserve and you will quickly find out what it might sell for. Just take all of the necessary precautions when using eBay or any other Internet site for selling.

Best wishes in your move and sale.
BajaXJ92
Sounds like a very nice car, Evan!

As others have mentioned, pictures help!

Also, if you would like to hang on to the car, I'd be happy to take care of and/or drive your car until you get back in a few years! biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
kliney30
Thanks to everyone for your help! My father may want to buy it from me, but if not, then I'll do as you've said and post here or ebay if I don't have time.

Thanks again,
Evan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.