Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shifter karts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone here was into shifter karts. I am really interested in getting into them but I was looking for a good site where I could start learning about them and possibly some classifieds for used karts.
carr914
I can ask my friend who works at a Karting Track. I drive his Shifter every once in a while
jd74914
A friend of mine bought a shifter cart without an engine off Craigslist. We ended up building a spare YZ-250 motor for it (big bore, higher compression, etc), converted to 520 chain and did the swap. With an estimated 50 hp or so the cart now flies. biggrin.gif

That said, I know nothing more about shifter carts than that little experience. They sure are fun to drive!
andys
Google to find a Kart club local to you. Go to some races and ask a lot of questions. You'll learn a lot about your local Kart racing scene. Also, ekartingnews.com is a good resource. I ran shifters (roadrace) for 25 years, but retired 12 years ago. If you have no prior Karting experience, then a shifter will be a rude awakening; just take your time.

Andys
jwc914
When they advertise the shifter carts for sale, do they say "handles like a 914"?
BKLA
QUOTE(andys @ Apr 14 2013, 09:53 AM) *

Google to find a Kart club local to you. Go to some races and ask a lot of questions. You'll learn a lot about your local Kart racing scene. Also, ekartingnews.com is a good resource. ... If you have no prior Karting experience, then a shifter will be a rude awakening; just take your time.

Andys

agree.gif see if someone has a 125 TAG kart you can try first. Once you have some seat time, then try a shifter.

A 125 shifter on a sprint course is .... Ultra violent... to borrow the phase from a clockwork orange.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.