Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stumbles (misses) Big Time Upon Accelaration
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
So I finished installing the new stereo system, took it for a drive and it began to stumble (that's the best I can describe it) on 1st and 2nd gear. Like it stops giving gas for a moment.

Afterwards the stumbling stops and it runs fine.

I park the car for a couple of hours and drive it again and it does it again, and stops after I get to third or fourth gear.

Any thoughts?
ThePaintedMan
Carbs or FI?

Engine size?

Other pertinent information? Like stereo wattage?
914itis
We're you pulling any wires in the engine compartment? Check voltage when running.
Kaduku
FI and 1.8, don't know about stereo wattage. Lucky just to figure out how to install the damn thing, Can the stereo actually cause this?

One thing I did realize, just before each run, I would leave the ignition on without starting the car To listen to the stereo to make adjustments. Also the car starts fine and accelerates fine out of my street (slow speed), then I wait at the intersection, then when I Accelarate into second and third it stumbles. I haven't drove he yet today because of a second issue (see below).

Second issue I forgot to mention. While driving the car the second time yesterday, I noticed the brake pedal was not retracting up, it was also stiff. I had to lift it back up with my foot, plus it was slow to retract too, really stiff. The car was braking. Help!
914itis
If you had the ingnition on you may have damaged your points . I would check the points and dwell.
Kaduku
QUOTE(914itis @ Apr 15 2013, 08:22 AM) *

If you had the ingnition on you may have damaged your points . I would check the points and dwell.

Just spoke to my mechanic and he said the same thing.

timothy_nd28
Might be an excellent time upgrading to this
Click to view attachment
Kaduku
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 15 2013, 12:44 PM) *

Might be an excellent time upgrading to this
Click to view attachment

What is it? blink.gif

timothy_nd28
This is a 49 dollar kit, that replaces your mechanical points. It sets the dwell perfectly, so you don't have to. Buy 2 of these, keep the spare in the glove box. Just like mechanical points, these modules don't like seeing power when the engine is not running.
Kaduku
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 15 2013, 02:31 PM) *

This is a 49 dollar kit, that replaces your mechanical points. It sets the dwell perfectly, so you don't have to. Buy 2 of these, keep the spare in the glove box. Just like mechanical points, these modules don't like seeing power when the engine is not running.

Thanks, you got me interested, what are they called and where can I buy?

914itis
That's what I have now and I don't have to deal with points and dwell adjustment anymore. Keep on mind that you can still burn it if you leave the ingnition on when the at is not running. In other words you would still have the same issue.
timothy_nd28
There is many different products by different company's that essentially do the same thing, but I kinda like this one.

ebay link
Kaduku
So I guess I can't have the stereo on with the ignitin on while waiting for the wife at the subway station. I guess it has to be connected directly to the battery.

Hammy
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Apr 15 2013, 03:10 PM) *

So I guess I can't have the stereo on with the ignitin on while waiting for the wife at the subway station. I guess it has to be connected directly to the battery.

I wired my stereo into the fuse panel so it gets constant power, even with ignition off. Just have to always remember to turn your stereo off...Search stereo wiring on this forum.
Kaduku
QUOTE(Hammy @ Apr 15 2013, 04:41 PM) *

I wired my stereo into the fuse panel so it gets constant power, even with ignition off. Just have to always remember to turn your stereo off...Search stereo wiring on this forum.

Which fuse did you use and how did you secure it?
76-914
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Apr 15 2013, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Hammy @ Apr 15 2013, 04:41 PM) *

Which fuse did you use and how did you secure it?

There should be some splitters or doubler thingamabob's on the back of the fuse panel that are unused. Just put your fe spade on one of those and an inline fuse.
rhodyguy
use the fuse for the cig lighter.

k
Kaduku
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 16 2013, 06:09 AM) *

k

C'mon guys, I am new to all this, which fuse is that?

JStroud
If you can't figure it out, you're not that far from McMarks shop in Sonoma, I'm sure he could get those problems resolved quickly.

Jeff
KELTY360
QUOTE(Kaduku @ Apr 16 2013, 05:17 AM) *

k

It's shown in the illustration in your owner's manual.
Kaduku
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 16 2013, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Kaduku @ Apr 16 2013, 05:17 AM) *

k

It's shown in the illustration in your owner's manual.

Thanks Marc, I forgot I have an owner's manual. rolleyes.gif

Kaduku
Stumbling is now gone. I had Victor at Auto Medic tune-up my car today, which included valve adjustments, oil change, and a Hot Spark eleconic ignition conversion.

Victor also lubed my shift bushings and fixed loose front wheel bearings, which I wasn't aware of.

Drove the car home and it handled beautifully. He really liked my car and said I did well in purchasing it.

He did suggest converting from FI to carbs and installing front and rear sway bars.

For those looking for a Porsche mechanic in Contra Costa and Solano County, who knows his stuff and with reasonable prices, Victor is your man! He does not advertise and just goes by word of mouth.

mepstein
He did suggest converting from FI to carbs confused24.gif
Kaduku
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 19 2013, 04:56 PM) *

He did suggest converting from FI to carbs confused24.gif

He said the way my set-up was that I will eventually have issues with the FI and with some parts getting harder to find that I may want to switch to a dual carb set-up. He did say that if I do this, that I should still save all my FI equipment.

Truthfully I would as much as possible keep the stock set-up I have now.

timothy_nd28
No need for converting to carbs. As long you're proactive with catching any potential vacuum leaks early, you'll be fine. What's your impression with this hot spark pointless module?
Kaduku
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 19 2013, 08:50 PM) *

No need for converting to carbs. As long you're proactive with catching any potential vacuum leaks early, you'll be fine. What's your impression with this hot spark pointless module?

It came just in time for the trip to the shop. I had Petronix in my MGB and I am glad this did not cost as much. So far so good, I am happy I don't have to worry about the points anymore. Thanks for suggesting it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.