Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
Headlights turn off but won't go down. What gives?
Mike Bellis
Motor up/down is powered by fuse #8 I think. Spin the fuse and see if it starts working.
mepstein
Doesn't seem to be the fuses
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 15 2013, 07:02 PM) *

Doesn't seem to be the fuses

The odds of both relays or both headlight motors going bad at the same time is very remote.

So you problem most likely would be the green/black or grey wire coming from the switch. One lifts and one drops.

BTW, the up/down power is fuse #12. I just looked at the schematic... biggrin.gif
7TPorsh
If you pull the relays and turn the knobs do they go down?

After if you put the relays back in with the switch off and turn the switch on do they go up....WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!

Also look for brown wires around the driver's side headlight motor and make sure they are grounded.

mepstein
I can lower lights with the knob and pulling headlight switch will raise them. Headlights are not lighting at all. All the other exterior lights are working
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 16 2013, 10:15 AM) *

I can lower lights with the knob and pulling headlight switch will raise them. Headlights are not lighting at all. All the other exterior lights are working

Power for the lamps comes from the ignition switch, then to the hi/low relay, then to fuses 1-4.
mepstein
High beams haven't worked for a while. Now neither setting works.
mepstein
I replaced the headlight switch with another used one. The dash lights work for the first time but the headlights still don't light or retract. Switched the relays in the front trunk with some spares and replaced all the fuses in the cabin but still no love. Fixed a broken conector on the fuse board and now my fog lights work for the first time.
Maybe the experts can take a look on friday fun run or at Hershey.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 16 2013, 01:13 PM) *

High beams haven't worked for a while. Now neither setting works.

It is possible (though not probable) that the high/low relay is stuck in between. There is a plastic cam inside the relay that toggles back and forth.

You should turn on the key, turn on the headlights and test for power at the high/low relay. If you have power on the red wire and not on the white or yellow, the relay is bad. It may be bad already since the highbeams don't work.

You should also verify you have a constant power at the bucket relays up front. Those relays have power all the time from fuse #12.

I think you have multiple problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.