Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for information or history regarding my unusually modified 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
geshaghi
A couple of years ago, I purchased a 914-6 in Riverside, CA. This is an original 1970 914-6 (#535) and retains the original engine. The car has been modified at some point in the past, in what I would call a 935 style. The work is all steel, and looks like it was done by a reasonably skilled craftsman. The car was last registered about 10 years ago, and was at one point owned by Dave Chrouch who now resides in Taft, CA. I've spoken with Dave, and he recalls that the body work was done by someone in Ojai, and that the engine was rebuilt by a race mechanic, but he has no other history or better recollection. We cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, plugs and points and replaced the master cylinder, and the car fired up on the first turn of the key! The photos below came from the prior owner when the car was in good shape; she is quite a bit more tattered and worn now, although mostly from sitting fort he last 10 years. If anyone has any recollection or information about this car, it would be appreciated. Thanks
monkeyboy
I can't say I know any details, but can we see more pictures?
rick 918-S
Nice! Show us some new photos! welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
geshaghi
I'll get some current photos this week and post them. I thought I had some but they seem to have vanished! Thanks guys.
geshaghi
A few photos taken yesterday. Original color code is 16 - Adriatic Blue
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
oldschool
I really dig the fender work...way cool.. aktion035.gif
pete000
Wow, cool save ! aktion035.gif

Are you going to be returning it to its former glory?

Something like this one...

geshaghi
We have gotten the car running and driving today, and I'm still not certain what I will do with her from here. The original color is beautiful, but the effort required to return the body to the original configuration will be tremendous and the work was clearly done by a skilled craftsman. It's kind of cool in a odd way. That's part of why I am trying to find more info on the car. I think I may leave the car as is, with just some minor body repairs
Cairo94507
I like the Adriatic Blue a lot. Since you have the original motor with the car I would return it to stock. But that's just me.
ThePaintedMan
I actually really like your car, and I'm not usually a fan of body kits, especially on /6s. That being said, the price of original /6s is going up so fast now, it might be something for you to consider to restore it. Are the fenders and everything fiberglass? If you were careful when removing everything, you might be able to sell that kit to someone else.

Very pretty car! I say drive it for now!
geshaghi
All steel except for the front and rear bumpers. Work is very nicely done, with some subtle touches, including laying the front turn signals down slightly. If the work was poor quality, I would remove it all. I'm thinking about replacing the front bumper with a stock unit and otherwise leaving it as is
Scott S
You could do a mix.... leave the bodywork intact (that front bumper is still available as I recall) repaint it in it's original color blue and put the big Fuchs back on. Also restore/detail the trunks, engine compartment and wheel wells. Car would be both super custom and super nice/detailed.

Is the interior still intact?

Here is the bumper: http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Imsa-Fr...N-RMIT1402.html

If these guys have it, I am sure you could also find it somewhere more trust worthy.
Mike Bellis
I found a bunch of history about my car here. Someone will recognize it eventually. That car is too unusual not to remember. I think you should restore it as is. Keep the fenders like they are!
geshaghi
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 17 2013, 03:41 PM) *

I found a bunch of history about my car here. Someone will recognize it eventually. That car is too unusual not to remember.

That's what I'm hoping for. Thanks
RON S.

Only thing I can add is hat my -6 when I found it back in the 90's had the exact same hounds tooth seats that I see yours has.

My car is a Euro (ROW) car, and I've never seen another car equipped with that same pattern. Kind of a corduroy hounds tooth in black. I've always wondered if they were original, or an upholstery shop recovering. Even my COA doesn't mention them.

It would seem extremely unlikely that 2 guys on opposite coasts would have the exact same seat patterns and they'd not be original...

Just my 2cents worth... biggrin.gif
Derek Seymour
QUOTE(RON S. @ Apr 17 2013, 04:57 PM) *

Only thing I can add is hat my -6 when I found it back in the 90's had the exact same hounds tooth seats that I see yours has.

My car is a Euro (ROW) car, and I've never seen another car equipped with that same pattern. Kind of a corduroy hounds tooth in black. I've always wondered if they were original, or an upholstery shop recovering. Even my COA doesn't mention them.

It would seem extremely unlikely that 2 guys on opposite coasts would have the exact same seat patterns and they'd not be original...

Porsche listed hounds tooth interiors as an option. I imagine if the engine is original then the interior is as well

Not that you need another opinion but I say grab another IMSA front bumper/air damn, repair the body dings, paint it whatever color you want, throw on any rims you want, and drive it like you stole it! That body work is pretty cool and I don't think it's sacrilege to have a 6 with a modified body. Nor should it really be worth any less. Think about how many 6's ended getting their bodywork altered for racing and they still command high prices confused24.gif
jim_hoyland
Do a search in the VINdatabase. It may have been entered, if it's not listed, add it
carr914
QUOTE(Derek Seymour @ Apr 17 2013, 10:55 PM) *

QUOTE(RON S. @ Apr 17 2013, 04:57 PM) *

Porsche listed hounds tooth interiors as an option. I imagine if the engine is original then the interior is as well

That is a Different Houndstooth. This is what Porsche Offered

Click to view attachment

RON S.
Just to throw this out there, here's a couple old shots of my seat pattern.
these pics are from about 10 years ago.

I've saved these seats, and packed away in a spare room.

I'd like to think that they are one of a kind....
Scott S
am I seeing a GT oil line cover in the drivers footwell?
geshaghi
QUOTE(RON S. @ Apr 18 2013, 09:35 AM) *

Interesting. I don't think the pattern is factory original. The material has been used all over the interior of my car, including door panels and sunvisors. I wonder if the same upholsterer did both cars? Any idea who did yours?
geshaghi
just bumping this up to see if anyone recognizes this car. thx
geshaghi
I have continued to clean the car up and have driven her a little bit. Definitely fun, as the car is kind of outrageous in her current guise. Still haven't been able to find out anything about the history. Click to view attachment
nathansnathan

I think I have the same seat pattern in my 71 -4 - They have faded to be like purplish but I think were black to begin with and I think they are original to the car. I will take a better look to compare when I get off work.
siverson
I can't believe I'm the only one to recognize this car so far. Or at least the body kit. Am I really that old now?!?!

Anyways, I'm pretty sure the kit was made by Chuck Beck's son (Randy?) in the 90s. Randy had a shop around Claremont/Upland (or don't recall exactly) in the 90s that I visited a couple times when I was going to school at Pomona.

Randy had a blue 914 with that kit (or very similar body work), but he had a monster 3.6 or 3.8 engine it in. I doubt this is his car as his car was very modified.

Plus, I think there was an old V&W Porsche article with a car that had one of these kits on it. I have no idea how many were made/sold - maybe only a couple as they don't seem to be very common at all.

At least that's what I think it is...

-Steve
siverson
Eh... Maybe I jumped the gun on this. This is the car I was thinking of:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=1518601

Similar, but different. Maybe they started with the Beck kit and made your car... ?

-Steve
nathansnathan

look to be the same from here. This is a L98 black car. Would have been pretty striking, all black, fuzzy seats probably kinder than vinyl in the heat. Too bad they are faded purple from the junkyard. The PPO painted the car maroonish to match, it seems. smile.gif
Click to view attachment

little squares
Click to view attachment

It does seem that kit linked could have been the starting point. Much nicer-looking, the red one - looks pretty good actually.
geshaghi
Certainly has some similarities to the blue Beck, but seems much like a custom or one-off work. My car (the red one) has flares done in steel which blend into the existing contours and body lines of the car well. In contrast, the Beck, which is likely fiberglass, creates a new line for the flare and is more evocative of a 916 IMO.
nathansnathan
It's cool they actually moved the tail lights out so the orange of the euro signal lines up with the rear lid lines. Their being so wide-set makes it look bad ass. Nice that the 911 reflector fits in there uncut(?)

So is the beck kit fiberglass?
rnellums
They also sloped and chamfered the front turn signal buckets. Its subtle, but looks really clean.
Chris Pincetich
Another one-of-a-kind custom 914 beerchug.gif
I like it. Great mod for wide tires, w/o adding "flares" biggrin.gif
How big are those rear tires??
shades.gif
Mr.242
Interesting find. Wish someone knew more info about the car, but you may have all you're going to learn on this car.

What direction are you going on this? Rebuild? or Refresh the current condition?
geshaghi
I've decided to put the car up for sale. She runs and drives well now, so mechanically sorted and can be driven as is. The car has 15x8 and 15x9 fuchs replicas, and the rears are 265-50-15 (old tires, so these will need to be replaced, but they look cool!). If the car doesn't sell, I may return her to the original configuration, but as noted by several, the subtle details all suggest that the car was done by a skilled craftsman and I am surprised that I haven't been able to find any more info on the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.