Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Color Experts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bulitt
Posted this over in the what did you do to your dingy today thread.

So picked up this 1970 Tub. Pics look red, however in person the car is more orange.
So some responded the car is Phoenix-Red (L32). However according to the color code L32 was not available until 1973.
Paint code on the door jamb reads L21- Blood Orange or Tangerine which was available from 1969 to 1972 at which time it went away.

So, did L21 replace L32?
Are they basically the same color?
What do you all think?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
914itis
This looks like Phoenix red to me. Paint tags are easy to remove and replace. I don't recall seeing the VIN on the paint tag; could have been replaced from a parts car.
URY914
Did it really roll up the ramps on those little wheels?
Kaduku
My car was originally Bahia Red, but the PO painted the exterior Tornado Red which is a color VW uses. Looks red but under the sunlight or headlights at night, it turns into a slight orange tone.
rudedude
Nice looking tub! Did it have much repair?
bulitt
Barry didn't paint, and doesn't know. Yes rolled up on dolly, tilt trailer. And tub vgc. Just trying to get code to match paint. Thx
tod914
You can take a head light cover over to your local auto paint supply shop. They can match the paint with a spectrometer. If you bring in the two paint codes, they should be able to tell you which of the two colors it is. Is the car completely repainted? If not and the two paints match, that should narrow down your choices.
carr914
Looks like Tangerine to me. Tangerine has a lot of Red in it
McMark
It's been repainted. So it's just some-color.

The factory didn't paint over hoses.
bulitt
I think you are right Mark. Paint on the vin tags also. Looks like a single stage paint. Thanks.
tod914
There may be some area left that still has original paint. Maybe the lower portion of where the gas tank sits. In answer to your question, Phoenix red and Blood orange are not the same. Close, but different. Looks like a real nice tub you picked up.
mepstein
Are there any issues in the area of the rear passenger wheel well. I wasn't sure in the pics the seller sent me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.