Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: compufire distributorless ignition
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vintage914racer
I have a compufire distributorless ignition system for a four cylinder vw/porsche that is sitting around not doing me any good, since I have sixes. Any idea what it is worth? Anyone interested?
SLITS
If it's a DIS - IX, it still uses a distributor (009) to trigger the coil(s). I thought they listed for about $250. I bought mine for $130 off EVILbay.
914werke
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SLITS
Really?

IPB Image
Mueller
Hey Slits....

is that system wasted spark?
programmable?
Aaron Cox
so you cant adjust advance etc.....
Mueller
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 22 2004, 08:18 PM)
so you cant adjust advance etc.....

according to the directions, the advance is mechanical..inside the housing

Installation instructions
lapuwali
It's just a crappy 009 dizzy with two twin-post coils. Same bad advance curve, same fix to bad advance curve (find someone that still does that). I suppose there would be some minor benefit over a straight Pertonix-type electronic ignition, but I'd doubt if it could even be measured over a properly curved distributor.

A MUCH better idea is a doodad a place called 123ignition is working on (for VW/Porsche applications soon). A complete, self-contained distributor with all electronic advance control. The only moving part in the thing is the rotor shaft (in a sealed bearing, not just a sloppy bushing). Several curves to choose from (set of 16, selectable using a rotary switch). Not user programmable, but the supplied curves should be adequate. Vacuum advance/retard is also available. The only trick now is it's not yet available for VW (they're in the Netherlands, and only supply parts for Citroens now), and it will likely be fairly expensive in the US when it does get here (I'm guessing $300 or thereabouts).
vintage914racer
I have what is shown in the picture slits posted. I never said it was the greatest system, just that its sitting around in my collection of parts and not in use.
SLITS
Ahhhh, the experts on the board. You can take the guts outta the "crappy" 009 and put them in any Bosch 4 cyl dizzy. You can even put it in ones with the trigger points.

But...............I didn't buy it for what it is............I bought it for the sexz appeal.....when I show up at the WCC05 smoke.gif

Oh, and I will let you hold onto the end of the high tension wire while I crank it over ohmy.gif

I gotta change my avatar - I looked in the mirror and I'm beginning to look like Howard barf.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 23 2004, 11:48 AM)
EVERYBODY will think it's fast............just because. I'm gonna leave the engine lid off so that that blue anodized billet cap reflects the bright California sun.

I like your style, sonny. biggrin.gif
TGM
I've got the same setup but with 050 distributor. Jake convinced me to switch to Mallory so mine is available for sale too.
scooter311
I'm with SLITS on this one - Bling Bling! I wanna buy one, I need to be hip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.