Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timing Gun + Mirror
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Does anyone use a mirror to set their timing vs. climbing in the engine bay? If so can you explain the setup or show a picture?

I was going to try and rig something up or just remove the lid and stand in the car. I'm tired of bruising my ribs hanging over the trunk!
McMark
Yup, I use a large make-up mirror (6" or so) and try to shine the light into the inspection/timing hole, don't try to bounce it off the mirror. This technique means you have to check it, make an adjustment, then recheck since both hands are occupied while checking.

Hmm, I bet I could design something that would screw into the hole and use mirrors to make it obvious. idea.gif

Or take a little bit of time and set yourself up for easier future timing sessions. Set the engine at TDC and transfer the timing mark with white paint to the forward section of the fan. Then do the same for the 27 degree mark with red paint. wink.gif
yeahmag
I really only need the "0" as my gun has advance on it. Even so, the transfer mark is damn near impossible to see. Sure seems like we could design a mirror system that would clamp on to the fan housing and make this simple.

Thank goodness for my Unilite and CDI. I hate setting the timing.
yeahmag
...and anyone have a digital gun they like? I have an old, analog one that I've never been very fond of.
FourBlades
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 16 2013, 10:29 AM) *

Or take a little bit of time and set yourself up for easier future timing sessions. Set the engine at TDC and transfer the timing mark with white paint to the forward section of the fan.

This is the way to go.

I did this a long time ago and it saves a lot of hassle.

Just need one mark if you have a timing light with an advance setting.

John
JamesM
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 16 2013, 10:16 AM) *

Or take a little bit of time and set yourself up for easier future timing sessions. Set the engine at TDC and transfer the timing mark with white paint to the forward section of the fan.

This is the way to go.

John

Might want to ammed this to say "timing light with an advance setting that you trust" Some timing lights with advance dont work so well at higher RPMs (where 914s timming is checked) I always go off the proper markings with 0 advance on the light to be safe.

914_teener
QUOTE(JamesM @ Apr 16 2013, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(FourBlades @ Apr 16 2013, 10:16 AM) *

This is the way to go.

John

Might want to ammed this to say "timing light with an advance setting that you trust" Some timing lights with advance dont work so well at higher RPMs (where 914s timming is checked) I always go off the proper markings with 0 advance on the light to be safe.

Hunh?

Why not just use a tach/dwell meter for RPM's and shoot the hole while working the throttle cable with the other hand?

914_teener
Ah....

Problem if you don't have a stock dizzy....right Aaron?
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 16 2013, 03:29 PM) *

Why not just use a tach/dwell meter for RPM's and shoot the hole while working the throttle cable with the other hand?

That's the nice thing about carbs. I do exactly that, but I use the idle speed screw to set it up to 3,400 RPMS and hold it there solidly. Then you have a free hand to turn the distributor while watching the light.
yeahmag
Yeah... Non-Stock dizzy and holding the RPM up isn't the problem. It's having to dive head first in to the engine to see the damn timing mark.
TheCabinetmaker
Don't need a mirror. Its not a magic trick. just put marks on the forward side of the fan.
I don't even use marks. After doing it once, you'll always know which fan blade to use as a reference.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 16 2013, 03:37 PM) *

Yeah... Non-Stock dizzy and holding the RPM up isn't the problem. It's having to dive head first in to the engine to see the damn timing mark.

Yup, I hear ya. I did the same thing as John and marked mine the last time I had the engine out. But it's pretty easy to do with it in the car as well, might just have to lay on the rear trunk to do it.

Nail polish works very well! gayfight.gif
dlee6204
You could also transfer your timing marks to the back of the flywheel via the small inspection port at the back of the block. I had to do this because I have an a/c compressor mounted above blocking the timing port. Works fine.
jcd914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 16 2013, 01:00 PM) *

Don't need a mirror. Its not a magic trick. just put marks on the forward side of the fan.
I don't even use marks. After doing it once, you'll always know which fan blade to use as a reference.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
rhodyguy
take the lid off. while it's off continue the elongated holes for the bolts so the forward ends are open. all you have to do is loosen the 2 bolts a tad and it will slide off. makes a miserable one person task simple. hignlight the 0* timing mark with some white finger nail polish. for the advance, mark it with red
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.