Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbon Fiber 911 Style Dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
alright, here are some pix of the 911 Style Carbon Fiber Dash.
It's actually from Getty and not from A.I.R. as i had previously stated ...

it is kind of rough, but i think it'll clean up nicely.
2 layers, first layer is fiberglass, second is carbon fiber.
if you hold it up against the light, you can see through the fiber,
so i will apply a coat of black paint on the back before i put it in the car.
it also came with a 911 face-plate (fiberglass).

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
72Signal914
I like it, if you can get the gauge plate in Carbon Fiber to where its the whole thing that'll look cool.
scottb
hey andy, that is sweet! aktion035.gif

how hard is that to do? i think that would look great to cover up my cracked teener dash. let me know your progress.

cheers... beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(scottb @ May 19 2003, 05:51 PM)
how hard is that to do?  i think that would look great to cover up my cracked teener dash.  let me know your progress.

it's not a cover. you need to take off your old dash top.
it bolts on in 3 spots in the front and near the windshield, it's held down by the rubber seal, which means i probably get some nice/shiny chrome srews and screw it down along the windshield cool.gif
you also need to remove the ash-tray. you can keep the original gauge-cluster hoop if you want but i cut it out just because it seemed easier. but the gauges will fit with it in there. then of course, you'll need gauges to fill the holes wink.gif
72Signal914
So that'll just fit right into the 914, no cutting or anything
SirAndy
QUOTE(72Signal914 @ May 19 2003, 06:14 PM)
So that'll just fit right into the 914, no cutting or anything

yepp ...
scottb
hey andy, what if i took off my current cracked pos dash and used the carbon fibre technique to redo it? could that work?
SirAndy
QUOTE(scottb @ May 19 2003, 06:26 PM)
hey andy, what if i took off my current cracked pos dash and used the carbon fibre technique to redo it? could that work?

sure. you would need to make a mold. or sand down your existing dash and try to put CF mats over it. that might actually work quite well ...

i took the easier route and just send Getty a check cool.gif
Andy
scottb
i may have to find some funked up dash on ebay to give that a try. if i smooth out the hills and valleys, rough up the surface for adhesion, i could be golden! or i could just inhale fumes and watch the pretty colors!!!! icon8.gif
Jeroen
NICE!

cheers,

Jeroen
L8Apex
that's sexy! I want it!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 19 2003, 05:28 PM)
.....some useless BS............yadayadayada....."i took the easier route and just send Getty a check cool.gif
Andy"......more useless BS

how much did it ligfhten yur wallet?
Aaron Cox
also, in the thirs pic posted, what is that recession for?
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ May 19 2003, 07:27 PM)
also, in the thirs pic posted, what is that recession for?

your fresh air laugh.gif
your car should have 2 hot/cold air vents for the windshield ...
(if you have a early car like mine, the 3rd vent in the middle of the dash has to be removed and taped off) ...

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(acox914 @ May 19 2003, 07:27 PM)
how much did it ligfhten yur wallet?

you can download their entire catalog here (750k) ...
they have quite a lot of 914 stuff. it's somewhere in the middle of the catalog.

http://www.gettydesign.com/Catalog/2003%20...alog%20v1.0.pdf

$250 ducks ...
SirAndy
forgot to post their website url ...

http://www.gettydesign.com/
Gary
Hey Andy (or Brad, or someone who's done this)...

Did you take notes when wiring the gauges? We're at that point in my 914, it's been stalled for several months over befuddlement on wiring the 911 gauges. I would imagine the tach and speedo (if mechanical) would be the same, and the clock would be no sweat. It's the oil level, temp, pressure, and fuel gauges that are less clear.

Thanks, Gary
jgiroux67
So do you have to take your windshield out to install this, and for that matter to take out the orginal dash?
Gary
Windshield can stay. The original dash and gauge cluster come out and are replaced. If you follow the link that Andy posted and download the Getty catalog, you can see what comes. The kicker is that the stock wires are too short, and are rerouted. It's not clear to me which wires go where, or if new wires need to be routed to accomdate the oil gauges.
Rockaria
Here is my report on a Getty install:

My Getty Dash install...

I found that the tach gauge and speedo gauges are a perfect fit and work great!

All of the other VDO gauges are very easy to change parts and swap. As long as the gauge and sender match you are all set. Don't worry if the whole cluster has a wrong gauge. The gauge part just unscrews and can be replaced by the correct one.

The 911 5bar oil pressure gague that came in the 911 gauge I bought works perfectly with the 70psi double pole sender I bought. The oil temp gague needed to be replaced by the one I already used. I just unscrewd the old one and replaced it with the working one. If the gauge is too tall in the cluster I just took off the glass and modified the gague face to sit higher in the cluster.

IPB Image

Here are some pics:VDO 914 Gauge parts

I found that I did not need to extend most of the wires. But I did add an extra wire length to them all. 4 inches was just fine. All of the wires I needed were up there except the oil pressure and temp wires. I just extended the oil temp wire from the floor console and wired a brand new wire set fot the oil pressure. The original green low oil pressure light wire works perfectly. I have no oil level any where so I just grounded a 100 ohm resistor to it to make it look like it was doing something.

Many people disagree but I find the fuel level on the 911 gauge works just fine with the 914 sender (Its the same part in the catalog anyways.) the 1/2 full line is in a funny position, but over the past many months that does not bug me a bit. The red light for empty is perfect and unaffected.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gary @ Jul 25 2004, 03:33 PM)
The kicker is that the stock wires are too short, and are rerouted.

i never took any notes, but i got them all to work.
i got myself a lüsterklemme-terminal to extend the wires.
IPB Image
just bolted it on the dash-subframe.
then took color-correct wires out of a old harness ...

one thing to keep in mind, for things like oil-temp and oil-pressure, you'll need 911 sending units also!
the gas-gauge works with the 914-sender.

wink.gif Andy
Gary
Way cool. Thanks guys.
Root_Werks
This is a great set up and I plan on doing this to my 914 later this year. Here is another source for 914/911 dash:

http://www.rennspd.com/

I have done a few deals with Peter who is a really nice guy and has some great deals. Lost of fun stuff! smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.