Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help - gas fumes in the cabin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john_g
As the title says, this past week I've had pretty strong gas fumes in the cabin. This has been ever since I filled up with gas. So, at first I thought I just spilled some when filling up, but the smell has lasted for a week. I'm wondering if I don't have the cap sealed properly, but it's pretty hard not to twist the cap back on. Is it possible that the cap gasket is worn (although it looks fine to me), or ...?

When I raise the bonnet and sniff around, the smell is pretty strong right around the gas cap area, so I know it's coming from somewhere around there. confused24.gif
AZ914
You should have an expansion tank surrounding your gas filler neck. That should have a vent hose attached to it.. make sure you don't have an open hose connector there.
Madswede
QUOTE(john_g @ Apr 16 2013, 08:18 PM) *

As the title says, this past week I've had pretty strong gas fumes in the cabin. This has been ever since I filled up with gas. So, at first I thought I just spilled some when filling up, but the smell has lasted for a week. I'm wondering if I don't have the cap sealed properly, but it's pretty hard not to twist the cap back on. Is it possible that the cap gasket is worn (although it looks fine to me), or ...?

When I raise the bonnet and sniff around, the smell is pretty strong right around the gas cap area, so I know it's coming from somewhere around there. confused24.gif

Are the breather lines still connected? I don't remember where they go for a stock car set up, but I know there should be some connected. I'm working on routing mine as well since I no longer have the charcoal filter. I do know that's the reason I smell gas fumes in my cabin. I bet the routing can be found by a search on the forum. smile.gif

EDIT: yeah, what Jason said.
914itis
Take a look at the gas cap area, you will see the bolts, I believe there is 8 of them holding the neck of the cap. Make sure they are tight, and the gasket is good. I had that happened and it turns out that one of the bolts was missing. I pi one in there and no more smell.

I hope this helps .
mepstein
There are 3 different rubber gaskets used in the tank. 914rubber has replacements.
Elliot Cannon
It only takes a very small abount of gas to keep it smelling for a long time. Mine used to leak mostly after filling, then a hard left turn. I replaced the gasket under the filler and the leak and the smell stopped.
rick 918-S
Or you have a leaking line under the tank huh.gif Do not let this persist. Too many 914's have been lost to gas fires.
mepstein
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 17 2013, 11:55 AM) *

It only takes a very small abount of gas to keep it smelling for a long time. Mine used to leak mostly after filling, then a hard left turn. I replaced the gasket under the filler and the leak and the smell stopped.

agree.gif I replaced all 3 rubber gaskets and aligned the overflow hose to exit the bottom of the fuel area instead of draining into the bulkhead. Made a huge difference.

* Also installed SS fuel lines and replaced all the rubber gas lines on the engine.
john_g
Thanks, guys. I've checked many of your suggestions. I've tightened the bolts in the expansion bowl around the gas cap (none were super-loose, but all easily took 1/2 to a full turn), and checked the breather line/vent hose to see that it is still connected. It all looks good. I'm wondering if it's as simple as a worn gasket on the filler cap itself - it feels quite hard. When new, what is it's consistency?
Jeffs9146
I had the same problem, it turned out to be the nipple on the bottom of the tank. I was able to see it from under the car when I removed the front cover plate! Later it came back and I found a small rust hole where the tank sits on the bulkhead and would only smell when I filled up the tank!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.