Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bay Area 914 Breakfast-Meet & Drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
lanker88
Hey All,

The last turnout was so great and met a lot of nice 914 people. smilie_pokal.gif This time around I thought it would be fun to take some winding roads. We will be meeting at Alice's Cafe in Woodside, CA. The food is pretty dang good here no mishaps this time around since they are always dealing with car clubs and biker people showing up. If you want a good spot id show up a tad earlier because this place is popular for car club meets. Lets make this meet even BIGGER than last time! It doesn't matter the state of you 914 just bring it if its in driving condition projects are always fun to see too.

I think a fun drive after would be nice!

SOOO, I created a drive map starting from Alices Cafe go down Hwy 84(La Honda Rd) out to the coast then turn left to enjoy a drive down Hwy 1 coastline(will be gorgeous) to Santa Cruz and then back down hwy 17 as a group. smile.gif
The drive is about 1h and 20 mins. If its a nice day out it could be a real nice drive without the targa top.

Note:I will be notifying Alices Cafe before hand that we will be showing up to ensure they are ready to accommodate a larger group.

Date: Saturday May 25th 2013
Time: 9:14am
Address: 17288 Skyline Blvd
Woodside, CA 94062[

Pictures are panoramas of the last meet.
Please repost elsewhere so that we get a good turn out and tell your friends and family that are Porsche people.

Cheers,
Luke Anker
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
lanker88
Come on people get excited! icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
damesandhotrods
I’ll commit to a definite maybe, and give that olde college try. I can’t really say for sure until that morning.
lanker88
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Apr 18 2013, 12:45 PM) *

I’ll commit to a definite maybe, and give that olde college try. I can’t really say for sure until that morning.

You're already in santa cruz though... haha soo close. But i guess it all depends if the car turns over that morning or not.

Cheers
bluhun
QUOTE(lanker88 @ Apr 17 2013, 11:23 AM) *

Hey All,

The last turnout was so great and met a lot of nice 914 people. smilie_pokal.gif This time around I thought it would be fun to take some winding roads. We will be meeting at Alice's Cafe in Woodside, CA. The food is pretty dang good here no mishaps this time around since they are always dealing with car clubs and biker people showing up. If you want a good spot id show up a tad earlier because this place is popular for car club meets. Lets make this meet even BIGGER than last time! It doesn't matter the state of you 914 just bring it if its in driving condition projects are always fun to see too.

SOOO, I created a drive map starting from Alices Cafe go down Hwy 84(La Honda Rd) out to the coast then turn left to enjoy a drive down Hwy 1 coastline(will be gorgeous) to Santa Cruz and then back down hwy 17 as a group. smile.gif
The drive is about 1h and 20 mins. If its a nice day out it could be a real nice drive without the targa top.

Note:I will be notifying Alices Cafe before hand that we will be showing up to ensure they are ready to accommodate a larger group.

Woodside, CA 94062[

Please repost elsewhere so that we get a good turn out and tell your friends and family that are Porsche people.

Cheers,
Luke Anker

I'll be there!
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(lanker88 @ Apr 18 2013, 01:43 PM) *

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Apr 18 2013, 12:45 PM) *

You're already in santa cruz though... haha soo close. But i guess it all depends if the car turns over that morning or not.

Cheers

The cars health isn’t a problem. It’s driver health…
lanker88
Oh no, Hope you feel better and that all is well. You have a good month so thats at east in your favor.

The cars health isn’t a problem. It’s driver health…
[/quote]
Jerry75914
considering I am right down the road in Half Moon Bay...how could I not go?! Looking forward to it!

-Jerry

1975 yellow 914 2270 a la McMark
halmil
It might be more fun to turn left onto Pescadero Rd and take this out to the Coast. More fun than straight out on Hwy 84
Mike Bellis
I won't make this one but I hope you guys have fun! driving.gif
JStroud
Fremont was a bit of a drive, but this is too far for me.
Hope you have a good turn out.

Jeff
JStroud
Dbl post, gave me an error message like my post didn't work.....so I tried it again....got the error message again...but both posted. confused24.gif

Jeff
jesiv
Cont us in

James IV & V
bluhun
QUOTE(halmil @ Apr 18 2013, 05:14 PM) *

It might be more fun to turn left onto Pescadero Rd and take this out to the Coast. More fun than straight out on Hwy 84

I agree!
lanker88
QUOTE(halmil @ Apr 18 2013, 05:14 PM) *

Thats a great Idea pescadero rd would be wayy more fun to drive on.

-Luke
lanker88

icon_bump.gif
lanker88
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

HEY GUYS AND GALS!

Its getting to be that time for the 914 meet at alices cafe! Lets make this turn out HUGE! Just 3 weeks away and we will all be hanging out with our 914s or whatever you happen to make it in. Lets all grab some breakfast at the cafe and go for a drive after. There is a plan set in motion if you read earlier in the thread.

ALSO, click at the top of the poll and we can see ahead of time what kind of turn out we will be expecting.

Cheers beerchug.gif and cannot wait to see you all out there!

Thank You,

Luke Anker
bfrymire
QUOTE(lanker88 @ May 7 2013, 12:53 PM) *

icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

HEY GUYS AND GALS!

Its getting to be that time for the 914 meet at alices cafe! Lets make this turn out HUGE! Just 3 weeks away and we will all be hanging out with our 914s or whatever you happen to make it in. Lets all grab some breakfast at the cafe and go for a drive after. There is a plan set in motion if you read earlier in the thread.

ALSO, click at the top of the poll and we can see ahead of time what kind of turn out we will be expecting.

Cheers beerchug.gif and cannot wait to see you all out there!

Thank You,

Luke Anker

not trying to throw a damper on it. But that is memorial day weekend. People may have other plans. Like me. :-)

--brett

Mike Bellis
You may want to start a new thread for each fun run. This one if from April. The pole is useless unless you do math... dry.gif
damesandhotrods
I stumbled across this last week; I don’t know how that is going to affect the Highway 1 section of the fun run.
State Route 1-Cabrillo Highway
During one-way traffic controls, one lane of traffic on State Route 1-Cabrillo Highway will remain open while the other lane of traffic will be closed between just south of Whitehouse Canyon Road and the San Mateo/Santa Cruz County Line.
If they leave one lane open during the weekend, and the surf is breaking or sun is forecast it could mean some idling…
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ May 7 2013, 04:40 PM) *

I stumbled across this last week; I don’t know how that is going to affect the Highway 1 section of the fun run.
During one-way traffic controls, one lane of traffic on State Route 1-Cabrillo Highway will remain open while the other lane of traffic will be closed between just south of Whitehouse Canyon Road and the San Mateo/Santa Cruz County Line.
If they leave one lane open during the weekend, and the surf is breaking or sun is forecast it could mean some idling…

lanker88
Its too late to bail now... Im sure a good amount of people will show up.

-Luke
Valy
Sorry, not this time.
lanker88
Hey Guys see below the original post. In 9 days we are meeting up at 9:14am for a breakfast meet/drive at Alices Cafe. Hope many of you can make it.

Cheers,
Luke

Hey All,

Woodside, CA 94062[

Cheers,
Luke Anker
[/quote]
shoguneagle
When you do not have such a great area and roads to drive in such as the proposed route, you truly miss being able to participate. Alice's is one of my special places along with hiway #1 (have done the complete road) and the surrounding side roads via Pescadero, Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, and Monterey. We have been gone from the Bay Area for 8 years and still miss it (not the traffic, though).

We have gone on similar rides with 914, Alfa, Lotus, and Corvette clubs. The best was with the 914 group. Attend and you will have a great time.

Steve Hurt
digitaldavid
Got the 72 out of my garage May 1st after 10 months of working on it.
I really didn't want to get it out on the road too soon and end up driving in the rain! May still be too soon since I've still some tweaks to make.
So long as nothing fails on the car I'll be there of this get together.
I'm looking forward to it!

David
Smawl 1
Jim (jmedeiros) & I will be coming in the SMAWL1. piratenanner.gif

See ya'll at Alice's!!

Lori
MegoManSF
I'll be there with my "Phoenix"! Excelsior true believers! We should all rub our lucky talismans that all the Teeners are in good health for the outing.
halmil
My son and I will be there in Orangina!
lanker88
Hey Guys,

So glad you all can make it. Please Please pass to anyone on this forum and other 914 forums. I would like to get a great turn out of 914s this time around. See you all there!

-Luke
lanker88
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ May 7 2013, 04:40 PM) *

Yeah a couple people have brought that up. Luckily we are all having breakfast and hanging out before the run so, we can all work as a collective and come up with a modified route smile.gif

Cheers,
Luke
halmil
I just spoke with my colleague who lives near Ano Nuevo. He said that the road work is between 84 and Pescadero Rd, so that if we turn left on Pescadero Road off of 84 we will avoid the construction zone and be fine. I also recommend that we take Hwy 9 back from Santa Cruz. There is some traffice through the towns, but once you get past the last one, most traffic has exited and there is a very nice windy climb back up to Skyline. People can either descend down Hwy 9 to head home or can go North on Skyline till they get to where they want to drop down (Page Mill, 84, Kings Mtn, 92). Just note that Skyline was repaved with a slurry seal and the road surface is pretty coarse now
lanker88
QUOTE(halmil @ May 23 2013, 02:42 PM) *

I just spoke with my colleague who lives near Ano Nuevo. He said that the road work is between 84 and Pescadero Rd, so that if we turn left on Pescadero Road off of 84 we will avoid the construction zone and be fine. I also recommend that we take Hwy 9 back from Santa Cruz. There is some traffice through the towns, but once you get past the last one, most traffic has exited and there is a very nice windy climb back up to Skyline. People can either descend down Hwy 9 to head home or can go North on Skyline till they get to where they want to drop down (Page Mill, 84, Kings Mtn, 92). Just note that Skyline was repaved with a slurry seal and the road surface is pretty coarse now

That sounds good to me hwy 9 is more fun that 17 anyway. And thats great news if we take 84 to pescadero rd. Hwy 1 would be a joy.
damesandhotrods
I’d avoid Highway 9. Too many motorcycles racing up there, and they don’t blink at being on the wrong side of the rode around blind corners.
dem
Speaking of motorcycles - I'm already committed to a motorcycle ride Saturday morning, so if you see a guy on a BMW F800GS flashing his high beams and waving like a maniac at you guys - that's me. smile.gif

Have a great time - I'll catch the next one.
Smawl 1
QUOTE(lanker88 @ Apr 18 2013, 09:59 AM) *

Come on people get excited! icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

Totally excited about this!! See you all in the morning!!
mikeyb33
QUOTE(lanker88 @ May 23 2013, 04:41 PM) *

That sounds good to me hwy 9 is more fun that 17 anyway. And thats great news if we take 84 to pescadero rd. Hwy 1 would be a joy.

Hi, all,
I'm about 70% sure I can make it - black 914-6 (conversion), GT rear wing/ spoiler, chrome-black Fuchs wheels.

Re. the route: Heartily agree w/ suggestion on taking Pescadero Rd. It has more fun-per-mile compared to 84, and rarely occupied w/ other cars. And IMHO the best of that stretch of 84 is the bit between Alice's & the Pesc. Rd turnoff - so it's win/win.

-- One more suggestion on route: IF people have the time & inclination, a really enjoyable alternative to 17, is to take Soquel-SJ Rd, from (guess) Soquel, north to Summit Rd. This parallels 17 and has an excellent surface (I just rode it on my MC two weekends ago).
-- And from Summit Rd you can either hop on 17 for the rest of the drive down the hill, OR turn off onto Old S.Cruz Hwy for a few more miles of fun. This puts you out on 17 by Lexington Reservoir and is as much fun as Hwy 9. And another detour opportunity presents, to circle around the 'back'/east side of Lex'tn Resvr. Also a fine, fun road. Something to consider maybe!

Here's a googlemaps tracing of the original route + Pescadero Rd - click & drag on the route to modify it, and see the resulting miles/time. Go play.
http://goo.gl/maps/PWlgL
And the "full Monty", with the detour(s) I suggested and maximizing the non- hwy17 miles --
http://goo.gl/maps/1tfWu

Anyway I hope to make it out there tomorrow!
mike
driving.gif
lanker88
QUOTE(mikeyb33 @ May 24 2013, 10:50 AM) *

QUOTE(lanker88 @ May 23 2013, 04:41 PM) *

Hi, all,
I'm about 70% sure I can make it - black 914-6 (conversion), GT rear wing/ spoiler, chrome-black Fuchs wheels.

Re. the route: Heartily agree w/ suggestion on taking Pescadero Rd. It has more fun-per-mile compared to 84, and rarely occupied w/ other cars. And IMHO the best of that stretch of 84 is the bit between Alice's & the Pesc. Rd turnoff - so it's win/win.

-- One more suggestion on route: IF people have the time & inclination, a really enjoyable alternative to 17, is to take Soquel-SJ Rd, from (guess) Soquel, north to Summit Rd. This parallels 17 and has an excellent surface (I just rode it on my MC two weekends ago).
-- And from Summit Rd you can either hop on 17 for the rest of the drive down the hill, OR turn off onto Old S.Cruz Hwy for a few more miles of fun. This puts you out on 17 by Lexington Reservoir and is as much fun as Hwy 9. And another detour opportunity presents, to circle around the 'back'/east side of Lex'tn Resvr. Also a fine, fun road. Something to consider maybe!

Here's a googlemaps tracing of the original route + Pescadero Rd - click & drag on the route to modify it, and see the resulting miles/time. Go play.
http://goo.gl/maps/PWlgL
And the "full Monty", with the detour(s) I suggested and maximizing the non- hwy17 miles --
http://goo.gl/maps/1tfWu

Anyway I hope to make it out there tomorrow!
mike
driving.gif

Im up for as much as I can fit in , but ill have to pull away at some point during the drive as i need to get to a funeral. But on the upside looking forward to seeing you all. See you in the morning!!!Tell everybody.
CG-914
I live in Santa Cruz and I would love to come, but I still have an exhaust leak and feel it would not be healthy for my fresh rebuild to drive like that sad.gif

Any body in Santa Cruz that has an open passenger seat? unsure.gif
CG-914
any pictures? any plans for another meet?
dlkawashima
What a great time we had today! Breakfast was way, way better than the Original Pancake House, and the service was excellent. We had a fun run out to the coast ..... the air temp was a little cool, perfect for spirited driving. As we were zipping through the redwoods, heading toward Hiway 1, I caught myself grinning ear to ear and thinking, it doesn't get any better than this. When we got to Santa Cruz, we split up, Luke (lanker88), Hal (halmil) and I making a quick dash back to the valley on Hiway 17, the other guys (I think) taking Hiway 9.

Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures, but here are a few:

Looking back at Alice's Restaurant
Click to view attachment

From the steps of the restaurant (no matter where you go, a Prius will get in the way)
Click to view attachment

Organizer Luke (lanker88)
Click to view attachment

Hal (halmil) and son Brian with Orangina
Click to view attachment
jesiv
Here is one pic. Nice to see everyone!!

Click to view attachment
Jerry75914
Click to view attachment

I had a great time at the event, I wish I could have made the run down to Santa Cruz! Looking forward to the next one, and here are some pics! -Jerry

Jerry75914
Click to view attachment
Jerry75914
Click to view attachment
Jerry75914
Click to view attachment
Jerry75914
....and we're off!
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.