Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /4 head question....modify exhaust side only???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
So I was thinking, (oh no Mr. Bill ohmy.gif ) the exhaust side of the /4 heads is supposed to be the main weak link when it comes to getting any decent power gains from the type IV motors.....the ratio of what the intake flows compared to the exhaust is too lopsided (the exhaust should flow 75%-80% of the intake or something like that to be ideal?????)

If one was to keep the stock cam (not really keen on splitting the case) and just install a much larger exhaust valve and re-work the exhaust port only, would it make any appreciable difference?? This is for a 1.8 motor with a European racing header.....otherwise all stock...currently D-jet, but that can be changed smile.gif smash.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 22 2004, 07:01 PM)
and just install a much larger exhaust valve and re-work the exhaust port only, would it make any appreciable difference?? This is for a 1.8 motor with a European racing header.....otherwise all stock...currently D-jet, but that can be changed smile.gif smash.gif

yes, that's the theory ...

put it on the dyno before and after so we'll all know for sure ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
HUm... idea.gif *somebody* you know has been asking this question for a few years now.

B
Mueller
I'm going to try to get to whats-his-names shop this week to drop off my heads...we'll discuss pricing for such an "experiment"
Mueller
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 22 2004, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 22 2004, 07:01 PM)
and just install a much larger exhaust valve and re-work the exhaust port only, would it make any appreciable difference?? This is for a 1.8 motor with a European racing header.....otherwise all stock...currently D-jet, but that can be changed smile.gif  :smash:

yes, that's the theory ...

put it on the dyno before and after so we'll all know for sure ...
biggrin.gif Andy

wanna help pay for a dyno run??? R&D is expensive wacko.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm working a guy in Mountain View for "use" of his engine dyno for "our" testing. He has one identical to Jakes so we should be able to compare some numbers (Mountain View is 10 feet above see level)

B
chunger
What happens to a type IV if you make the exhaust valves really bigger at add NOS?

alfred.gif
Rgreen914
QUOTE(chunger @ Nov 23 2004, 12:11 AM)
What happens to a type IV if you make the exhaust valves really bigger at add NOS?

alfred.gif

chunger

Are you referring to Nitrous Oxide (N2O) or the company named "Nitrous Oxide Systems" (NOS)? I think this company is now owned by Holley.

Ron
chunger
oops NO2 the stuff that turns into N and O2 and happy fun hp.

didn't know holley bought them. Guess holley buys a lot of companies.
Mark Henry
A big valve doesn't help much if the port is still small.

A 38mm is about as big as you will need. Porting on the exhaust port will help, but don't get too carried away, the exhaust port wall doesn't have a whole lot of meat on it.

My 2.7 nickies engine will have (most likely) 44mm intakes and 38mm exhaust and a lot of carefull exhaust port work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.