Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WHOA....tranny woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porbmw
Time to get at this little issue.
My daughter's 1.8 (1974) tranny is losing synchro in first gear.

I have a tranny from a 2.0 that is laying about, but also need rebuilding.

Are they the same trannies....are gear ratios the same? etc.....I'd like to have one repaired without taking her car off the road in order to fix the installed one. If I am stuck with repairing the installed, knowing how quickly I get these repaired, she will be without wheels for too long....

Cupomeat
Unless the 74 or your 2.0 was retrofitted with a tail shift, they are the same transmission.

Go ahead and do the swap, while rebuilding the other trans and all will be good.

As for the trans rebuild, Dr. Evil and I did a transmission rebuild video which walks you through the process, if that may help.
porbmw
Thanks Eric
Best news all day!
Frankly, after the last few days events blink.gif
Mark Henry
If you don't want to tackle it yourself you could ship the stack to me for service, or ship the stack to me in June and I'll get Dr Evil himself to do the stack service at the Canada clinic.

You can ship it by VIA Rail or Greyhound. I think Greyhound is the cheapest.
You can ship the whole tranny but that costs more.
helowrench
What does the stack service cost ish?
porbmw
Thanks for the info, and the offers of help.

My buddy is now a Mercedes mechanic (well...I guess technically a "tech"..), but use to work for Porsche...he is now a soccer dad, has no spare time, couldn't recall whether there were any tranny differences....

So the answer is in, I'll let him know, and will drop the spare tranny off for him to consider, in his 'spare' time.

Again, thanks

Paul
Dave_Darling
Note that if you only want to deal with first gear, you don't have to deal with disassembling the transmission. First is, in fact, under the tail cone and you can replace it without removing the transmission from the car if you want to.

There's a Pelican tech article on the process. Follow my sig and check the 914 Tech Articles section.

--DD
hedgehog
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Apr 18 2013, 09:52 AM) *

Unless the 74 or your 2.0 was retrofitted with a tail shift, they are the same transmission.

Go ahead and do the swap, while rebuilding the other trans and all will be good.

As for the trans rebuild, Dr. Evil and I did a transmission rebuild video which walks you through the process, if that may help.

ahhh, Cupomeat...as in cupomeat productions....i bouhgt the video and it was great..just started on the tranny this week....the problem im having is just what the video told me not to do...mess with the third member...as i was inspecting it i thought i saw a piece of metal inside, so i tried to dig it out and the gears rolled forward and then the internals came apart....now im having a tough time getting it back to where they should be.....any suggestions....?
Dr Evil
Yup, the guts are basically the same with subtly differences. If they are out already, you can make a nice one with the two and some extra parts. I have some good used first sliders and can get you discounted new ones (but they are not cheap, still).
porbmw
Alrighty then!

Thanks!

Will get at it, and see what can be done as painlessly as possible!

THanks to all!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.