Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 as a daily driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
I have not posted in a while but recently my station car (Honda Civic) has been laid up as I await a new front suspension.

I have been driving the 914 daily for 2 weeks now and it looks like it will be another week.

The more I drive it the better it seems to run, I guess it is true what they say about German cars (they do not like to sit for long periods of time). I'm also appreciate how comfortable the car the car is, and it is re-invigorating my desire to fix the rust.

I have never had it in the rain, but it seems to drive pretty well even with the Falken Azeins.

This weekend I will need to adjust the valves coming on 3K on the new engine and may adjust the rear end suspension, last weekend I changed the oil.

Dan
stuttgart46
My first one was my DD. That was about 22 years ago. They're great but it got hot in the summer.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the car as it was meant to be. Keep it up.
pt_700
i drive mine most weekdays...

i take the dogs to the dogpark a few minutes away. i could (should) probably walk but, we'd all be pooped by the time we get there!

feels better to give the car regular use too.
Cupomeat
I drove mine as a DD from 1987-1993 or so and it was pretty good. GREAT gas mileage and a fun car.

Now it is all pretty and a I am afraid to get it dinged... LOL

Such is life.

Enjoy!
Jgilliam914
Mine was a DD from 1981 through 83 then I moved to Iowa and it sat 4-5 months a year. I drove a 72 Nova in the winter months that was rear ended and I could only put 7 gallons of gas in it. What a pain since the car only got 14 MPG. The 914 has been to 30 + states and a few Provinces in Canada. It was very comfortable when I was in my teens and 20's and one of these days I hope to find out how it feels to drive it in my 50's :-)
tadink
I'm driving mine like I stole it - and throwing it around AX on the weekends - it is an absolute blast.

I do kind of wish my long road up the hill to the house was just a bit smoother, but until the county takes action on Napa's worst road (mine) I'll just thrash around and hope nothing falls off!

Been doing some freeway driving as well - San Joes, Vacaville, Sacto. That little 1.7 is happy as a clam cruising along at 75-80mph.....all day long!

certainly a FUN, if not somewhat invisible to other drivers, ride! I looked over the other day and was eyeball level with the top of some guys big meaty tires on a raised 4x4 - I could hardly see him in his seat!

drive 'em men - too fun not to!

td
jdlmodelt
Mine is a fair weather DD 27 mile one way high up in Colorado and I'm getting over 32mpg!
Andyrew
I DD my v8 for quite a few months after I did the paint 2 years ago. If it drove better and didnt overheat as much I would be more inclined to drive it. But such is life.
ripper911
I use mine as a DD, in all weather conditions.
They're wonderful cars. Fast and nimble enough to get through modern traffic, comfortable, reliable. The more you drive it the better it does. Ever get the feeling someone's looking at you, yes, they all are... except for the idiots that pull out in front of you in your little car.

And with the mid-engine balance they do doughnuts quite well in the backyard. :evilgrin;
914Bryan
Mine has been a daily driver since I bought it two and a half years ago. Love the car, the looks, mileage, simplicity (for the most part), cheap insurance. Learn to live with the lack of creature comforts and become more of an automotive purist...Not a lot of people can do it..And, I fit just fine and I am 6'7" 250..

Drive mine 56 miles each way to and from work. Do the math, mine is a freeway flier. Keep up on the oil changes, valve adjustments and repair the stuff as it comes up. Still cheaper than the wife's BMW.

Enjoy! driving.gif
solex
I need some driving lessons, on Firday I took it pretty fast on an off ramp and the rear end slid out on me, I was able to get it back under control after a few swerves but will be take it easy next time.

I adjusted the valves this weekend and she is purring like a kitten, let see how she does this week...

Thanks for all of the responses make for interesting reading
JawjaPorsche
I bought my 914 new so it was my DD for ten years then we had twins. Even though I drove it regularly but it was not my primary anymore. Now it sits in the garage and only goes out on pretty days! That is okay, it makes me appreciate it even more when I drive it! biggrin.gif
pcar916
DD since 1994, with the except for some jack-stand time for upgrades. All weather and all the time including city and a bunch of cross country drivin'. Love it.

Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.