Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
hey guys i have a 72 914 1.7 carb and i need a new fuel pump. i looked at pelicanparts and it says that the pump is not availiable for my car. what are some other reputable places to get one? (random question anyone know the peak GPM) -thanks
Chris H.
You have to use an aftermarket fuel pump since all US 914-4s came with fuel injection. Someone will chime in with recommendations...

As an FYI you only need a few PSI (3-5ish) to run carbs, whereas the FI needs almost 30. NEVER use a stock (FI) fuel pump with carbs.
ThePaintedMan
The cheapest and simplest option is the CB Performance fuel pump. It's regulated to 3.5 PSI which is exactly what you need. That way you also don't need to fool with an external fuel pressure regulator.

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetail...roductCode=3193
rhodyguy
actually it's a carter pump. call the local parts store and ask if they have one. ensure it's the self regulated one and has the correct pound delivery. there will prob be a metal canister on a short piece of hose attached to it. it's a filter. one time use squeeze clamps. pita. toss it if you want and use a stock fi or bmw (crusty john knows the part #) filter and shouldered clamps.

k
porsche-tom
i looked up carter fuel pumps and it looks like jegs is the only company close to me that has them(according to the internet, i have not called other places yet) but all of the electric fuel pumps psi is much to high. the closest on i found was 4-6 psi, is it ok to have a pump that has an output over the 3.5psi? http://www.jegs.com/i/Carter/180/P4070/100...roductId=748050
thanks of the help guys
SLITS
Anything above about 5 psig will override the float needle valve causing a fuel leak in the carbs. Most street cars utilize about 3.5 psig. I ran the race cars at 5 psig.

There are inexpensive fuel pressure regulators.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.