Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking advice on the best car stereo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VegasRacer
I've read all the old threads I can find on the subject. I've Googled until I went wacko.gif .
I have visited most of the audio stores in a 10 mile radius.
The more I look - the more confused I get. headbang.gif
It is getting close to time for making a decision and spending my $$'s.
The casette deck and one blown speaker have got to go. ar15.gif
My budget is $500 max. Can I find something that will make me happy?
Do I need a power amp and / or a sub woofer?

I am favoring the Kenwood EZ500 head unit. It seems as good as most and better than many. I do like the retro look. I'm not crazy about the flip down front to play a CD. I don't need the remote.
IPB Image

I'll probably go with the speaker pods that morphenspectra sells. Are these really the best way to go? Any recommendations for what I should use to fill them? I want something good. Polk Audio, Infinity, Boston Acoustics. Should I be looking at 2 way or 3 way speakers? I don't want separate tweeter components.

Please help me spend my money. What do you have that you like?
What should I avoid? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Tab914
I guess the stereo is totally up to you. Go with your gutt and first idea. I have a set of those speakerpods that I bought from those guys. They are nice to do business with and the shipping was fast. They fit perfectly in the car and have a nice slick look. I really like them and recommend them. Hope that helps.

Cheers, Dominic. wink.gif
Chris914n6
I've had Kenwood stuff last forever. Value for features is good.

Morph' speaker pods are the easy/cheap way to go. The 6.5" speaker is about the best low end depth you're going to realistically get without a powered sub.

Speakers all sound different to different people - so go listen to them with your favorite CD. I love the Infinity Kappa in my truck...since '96 biggrin.gif

3-ways tend to be 'tinny'. Too much high range bias.

We need to do lunch so I can see this new car of yours beerchug.gif

Chris
Twystd1
You should of seen my 72 teener when I bought it. There was two 10" Sub woofer cut outs in the engine firewall, firing a pair of 10s into the cab.

Could hear the engine throught the cones. The voice coils would overheat in 5 minutes and pruduce histericly obtuse bass imaging. Sounded like the drivers were making the sounds like a small rocket taking off... was really good for a laugh.
Am still welding the holes up.. Stitch by stitch.

Really the only way that I have made good sound in a Teener was to put two 5 inch SEAS Subs (yup they make em) in the center console with two molded speaker pods in the kick panels next to my feet. Had to make a custom fiberglass enclosure for em.

The kicks had a 6" DynaAudio Mid base and a DynaAudio D-28 soft dome tweeters with hand made crossovers.

Had an Orion 5 channel amp in the front with a changer. Ran the two subs in parralel to create a 2 ohm load for the sub channel of the amp.
Ran everything else in the standard fashion.

Head unit had DSP. In this way I could delay whatever speakers I needed to that would allow me to bring the sound stage up into the windshield. Took a crap load of tweaking to get the sound to come out of the windshield. Yet it came out pretty good.

Actually sounded very tight, and loud when needed on the freeway or with the top off. The trick was to know that there REALLY is a 5 woofer that is tight and will go down to 35HZ without falling on it's face. The other trick is that I had to make a custom fiberglass enclosure for the 6" mids in the kick. It is imperative to NOT let the front sound wave from the speaker hit the back sound wave. Because they cancel each other out...

Thats the downside of having OPEN BACK speaker pods. They are to some degree self cancelling. And the more you turn em up, the more they cancel.

If you are good at crafting fibeglass and understand the basics of physcoaccoustics.

Shit howdy.. you can do it. Just spend a month reading before you start the project. Make some parts (enclosures) out of card board. Tape them to wherever you think they can fit. Do your best to have the speakers pointed at your head if possible.

And buy the absolute best components you can find. Buy em used and save some money. Speakers either work or they don't. Same goes for amps. Buying high end used components is a great way to go.....!!!!!!

Just my .02 worth

Twystd1
ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
markb
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 22 2004, 10:08 PM)
I've had Kenwood stuff last forever.

agree.gif

I put a Kenwood in my 93 Nissan when I bought it new. The stereo still kicks butt.
McMark
Head units are all about looks and ease of use. If you need more power later, add an amp. Most all units output the same power. Buy something you like the look of and is easy to use. I like the one pictured. biggrin.gif
Kerrys914
Anything with XM Radio smilie_pokal.gif
Joe Ricard
You guys have stereos in your 914's?????
HMM Then I wouldn't have anyplace to put my gages. Not that I cold here a stereo anyway. I usually wear ear plugs when going for a drive over 20 minutes.

Just ripped the stereo out of the project car. OMG what a bad job of installation. 3 speakers in the doors. At least the panels were not real. then there was an amp in the trunk and a 8" cheapy sub in a home made center console.
skline
I have a Kenwood unit in my 03 truck, it works good and the price was cheap. Get one that plays MP3's as you dont have a lot of room to carry a lot of CD's without getting them screwed up. My 914 has a Sony unit installed, it has a remote control but you dont need to use it. It is handy though sometimes. The Sony unit is the one I like best, ease of use is a must for in a 914 as you dont want to have to look at the unit to change channels or tracks while you are driving. The speaker pods from Morph are the best way to go. Both Sony and Kenwood have the Sirrius radio hookups integrated in. Just thought I would add my .02 cents.
iamchappy
Before you weld up those 10" sub holes in your firewall you may want to look for some Revere Ware ss bowels like ive done. This is the second 914 ive mounted subs in the firewall with these enclosers.
iamchappy
another from inside
BIGKAT_83
agree.gif
iamchappy

Nice work. Thats a great idea.
JmuRiz
The unit that was pictued above looks great. I really like the dual knobs, has an 'older' look to it. However for some reason Kenwood did not put a subwoofer pre-amp in it mad.gif I have a bazooka tube right in front of the passenger seat and would love to have a unit that looks like that one w/ a dedicated sub pre-amp output. Maybe next years model will.

Then again I did a stereo system in mine but rarely turn it on, maybe 2 times in the past year, haha. I'd rather listen to the motor and try to pinpoint squeeks and rattles, haha.
Flat VW
I've used headphones in my previous 914. I really liked it, I installed micro phono jacks under the "third seat" in the plastic console and wired each up to the rear channels of the fader. I used to have two sets of "folding headphones" that fit nicely in the glove box. In addition I also upgraded the stock speakers to the best I could find that would fit in the stock enclosures. Ahha, the memories, my wife and I would take off the top, roll up the windows annd crank up the heat during Arizona winter nights, simply wonderful and wonderfully simple pleasure.

Headphones are hard to beat for sound quality, especially in a loud car. I intend to do the same thing in my current 914 (but maybe with the addition of an intercom) after all the gremlins are gone.

I developed a new one just last night, after the car sat in the rain yesterday when one turns the steering wheel to just the right spot either right or left the horn toots. I am unsure whether while driving last night people thought I was just friendly or rude. cool_shades.gif
aircooledboy
ohmy.gif DAMN!!!! ohmy.gif
I can't believe you guys all forgot to tell him about the critical "insulating foam coated 110 volt breaker" required for any good stereo instulation. headbang.gif

And you guys call yourselves 914 fans. w00t.gif laugh.gif monkeydance.gif
aircooledboy
BTW, illegal in most, if not all states for the driver to have headphones on. Kinda dangerous.
Pnambic
You might want to check on the legality of wearing headphones while driving. I seem to recall reading that its illegal in some states.

Then of course, look at the features that you value. For instance, I'd want a stereo that I could put a CD full of MP3's in and listen to. Maybe you're interested in XM/Sirius satellite radio. I have a Sony ES model head unit in my Saturn that has performed exceptionally since 1995. Gotta like that.
Flat VW
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Nov 23 2004, 09:30 AM)
ohmy.gif DAMN!!!! ohmy.gif
I can't believe you guys all forgot to tell him about the critical "insulating foam coated 110 volt breaker" required for any good stereo instulation. headbang.gif

And you guys call yourselves 914 fans. w00t.gif  :lol:  :monkeydance:

Nope, that is a double pole circuit breaker, <220 VAC> welder.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE(Pnambic @ Nov 23 2004, 09:34 AM)
You might want to check on the legality of wearing headphones while driving.  I seem to recall reading that its illegal in some states.

Then of course, look at the features that you value.  For instance, I'd want a stereo that I could put a CD full of MP3's in and listen to.  Maybe you're interested in XM/Sirius satellite radio.  I have a Sony ES model head unit in my Saturn that has performed exceptionally since 1995.  Gotta like that.

Legal, Schmiegal.... devil.gif

I did kinda slip em off when the fuzz was around though. wink.gif

On a practical note the type of headphones I had were not risky as far as hearing a fire truck, for example (not the totally over the ear type).

Heh man this is the Wild West out here! aktion035.gif

Live a little!! tunez.gif pirate.gif
aircooledboy
QUOTE(Flat VW @ Nov 23 2004, 11:53 AM)
Nope, that is a double pole circuit breaker, <220 VAC> welder.gif

Doh! spank.gif How could I miss that. headbang.gif

There goes my union card. chairfall.gif
redshift
I love the sound of a blank out plate!

I may be the odd man out, especially being a musician, but I hate music.

M
Joe Ricard
No tunes for my entire trip home from Washington State. to the great state of Mississippi. Amazing what goes through your head listening the motor screaming 3500 to 4000 RPM hour after Hour. Especially around 3 am in the middle of nowhere.

Hmm whats that ticking am I dropping a valve?
Howard
agree.gif Here's my Dolby 8.0 surround.
Series9
I've always used Kenwood head units in 914s because I've found their CD players to be the most skip resistant.

I did a $550 system in my wife's 911 with an Alpine head unit, Kenwood amp, and Infinity separates and sub. All purchased from the internet after about a week of shopping.
Chris914n6
I agree with the MP3 player. Not only can you carry more music in less space but you can leave the good paid for CD's at home. I went with a JVC -707 for that reason. The remote is kinda nice in that I don't have to reach over and take my eyes off the road. I know the remote by feel.
I'm moving up to a Fujitsu Stylistic Tablet PC biggrin.gif 60Gig of music and video space.

I have a Sony 620? from '95 that's still turning. Has the 6 second anti-skip that works in most off road situations smilie_pokal.gif

If you want to be frugal, go Ebay. The profit margins are ~50% in retail stores.

Oh, there's a 914club discount in 'Resources' for the pods.

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.