Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blizzard of 1978
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Was looking at online photo's of the current flooding in Grand Rapids MI and area's around my Mom's house ect.

Came across a B/W pic gallery of the Blizzard of 1978, and what did I find sad.gif Poor thing.

http://interactives.woodtv.com/photomojo/gallery/6043/1/
balljoint
Cool find! Mom's okay? Any sharks in the front yard?
Elliot Cannon
WTF.gif OK, so, who left the Porsche out in the weather??
JmuRiz
'78 was even bad here in the DC area...I remember stories a of my older brother wanting my dad to toss him off the deck into a snow bank. Ahh the good old days of real fun as a kid.
Katmanken
Blizzard? Don't remember any blizzards in Florida that year.

Sorry about the car. sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
We had a lotta rain that year, but not as much as '79 and '80 ..................

The Cap'n
tacm
QUOTE(Katmanken @ Apr 19 2013, 11:06 PM) *

Blizzard? Don't remember any blizzards in Florida that year.

Sorry about the car. sad.gif

I dont either......but wait....I was only 6.. LOL
blitZ
I remember that storm well. I was in Florida and it was the first time I saw snow.
Ferg
QUOTE(balljoint @ Apr 19 2013, 06:03 PM) *

Cool find! Mom's okay? Any sharks in the front yard?

Mom's good, Thornapple River is way way over it's banks, but she's up on a hill. It's worse than it's ever been, some neighbors are not going to be as lucky. sad.gif
maddog
Ferg, I really dont remember much from 1978 probably because I was only 8 but I remeber my family telling me how bad it was. So I live in Grand Rapids and luckily we are in an area that is unaffected by all the rain, did you grow up in Grand Rapids area?

[/quote]Mom's good, Thornapple River is way way over it's banks, but she's up on a hill. It's worse than it's ever been, some neighbors are not going to be as lucky. sad.gif
[/quote]
Slink
Remember it well. Monday morning getting stuck at exit 11 on NJ Turnpike
on the way to work. Did not make it to work for 3 days.
Ferg
[quote name='maddog' date='Apr 21 2013, 11:51 AM' post='1853240']
Ferg, I really dont remember much from 1978 probably because I was only 8 but I remeber my family telling me how bad it was. So I live in Grand Rapids and luckily we are in an area that is unaffected by all the rain, did you grow up in Grand Rapids area?

[/quote]Mom's good, Thornapple River is way way over it's banks, but she's up on a hill. It's worse than it's ever been, some neighbors are not going to be as lucky. sad.gif
[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah I grew up in Caledonia, I was only 3 at the time of the storm as well. Dad is in Grand Haven, Bro in Hudsonville.
Jgilliam914
True story. I was hanging with my Great Grandfather in a small town bar in Iowa. ( yeah I know a 13 year old shouldn't be in a bar but I had to make sure he went home in time for dinner ) who was 94 at the time. I just expierienced my first real time blizzard in April 1974. Several old guys were sitting playing cards and talking about the 18" of snow and 60 MPH that left drifts as high as 15 ft. in the area. When one guy said " That one wasn't as bad as the one in 1938. The next guy chimes in the one in 1921 was worse than that. My Grandfather replies the one in 89.... 1889 made all of them look like flurries..No one was older and they had no frame of reference. I just thought it was Beer talk till after his death I saw on the news on this day back in 1889 the worst snow storm ever to hit the midwest. So when older people talk about bad weather I know they have seen more than us. I could be wrong on the years but you get the point
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.