Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much horsepower is too much?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
tadink
Hey all -

I've been looking at options for increased HP and have run across some crazy stuff, and that got me thinking about "how much is too much"?

This would be an occasional track car, AX often, mostly street, preferably reliable.

I've seen recently, in no particular order: 3.2L pretty stock, 3.3L race prepped turbo, 2.7 or 2.8 race prepped, v-8 twin turbo confused24.gif , and other various mixes of suby-turbo, McMark's turbo 1.7L project, etc etc.

so, for you high HP guys out there - when does the car get just too silly to be practical on the street? 300bhp? 400bhp? 600bhp? 900bhp?

and what makes it not so enjoyable to drive around 'normally'? One guy described his 2.7 race engine as just too high strung for the street - - - so that means that you have to get into higher revs to get the power from the cam? confused24.gif

edumacate me pls......

td
rick 918-S
350+ doesn't seen to ben an issue... assimilate.gif

Click to view attachment
iamchappy
I think 400 is fine, takes a little getting used too, but is very streetable. driving.gif
GeorgeRud
As Mark Donahue stated, "when I can spin the tires in top gear at the end of the straight"!

Actually, it's more fun to pull away from "muscle" cars through the twisty bits. Just about anyone can plant their foot on an accelerator.
Mike Bellis
Autocrossing with big HP in a small car is a challenge. Big torque is an even bigger challenge. I have had from 250hp up to 500hp in a 914. The 250-325hp seemed to be the sweet spot for a mild conversion. If you go much higher, you will need flares, big tires, big brakes, stiffening, etc...

Here is a video of Andyrew drifting his 383ci V8 914 around a parking lot. With a big torque motor, this is what happens at an autocross. This is fun but not a way to get a competitive time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOJf7PpP4l0

I am building my conversion to be in the 325-350hp range right now. I'm keeping the factory ECU flashed for big injectors and turbo. The plan is to make it totally streetable with plenty of mods to take to the track. shades.gif

euro911
Shit, I'm happy with 125 biggrin.gif ...

... but 200 would be nice aktion035.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Richard Fisher has about600 in his car. I've ridden in it, and drove behind him in the twisties.
He has no trouble with either of them. I had my foot in my 4 hard just to keep up with him on talimena drive. Too much hp? Not!
ConeDodger
225HP is very fun and streetable... Idles well, handles traffic without complaint.
carr914
Depends on the car & what the Induction is. I've driven 600+HP cars on the Street - No Problem. I've been around 250HP cars at the Track that I wouldn't set a foot into.

Then there is the Driver Equation! The fact that Car Companies make 600+HP cars that the Average Schmo can buy is a recipe for disaster!
iamchappy
When i built up my car i did it because i wanted to do it, and had wanted to do it ever since they built the 911 turbo, but another reason was to make it run away from the Porsche owners cars that have always looked down their noses at us 914's...
Of course there are plenty of built up Porsche's out there that will out run my car, but i would still give those a respectable fight......

Overview - a torqued out 220 hp car or a 300 hp 3.6 would satisfy just about any of us 914 owners...
JmuRiz
Just my thoughts...I'll have more insight later this year...but I think a hot 2.7 to a stock-ish 3.2 will be great in a skinny fender car. Up to 3.6 with flares and the associated tires. I'm hoping for ~180 with my engine, it should feel like a rocket compared to my previous ~100 /4
messix
imho
it's how the power is made. a high strung small ci 150hp engine that makes it's power in a narrow power band would be a bitch to drive around in traffic.

then if you had a large ci engine that makes monster torque low in the rpm range would be a handful trying to drive on the streets.

if you had a balance of a well mannered engine that made reasonable torque and power in the low end and then progressively more power in high rpm to 400, 500, 600, hp as long as it would be progressive and predictable.

with modern engine management systems including turbo's it is possible to have a very high hp engine that will behave and well mannered to drive around like a Honda accord when needed.

like Jake says "it's all in the combo"
Dave_Darling
I think the answer to "how much power do you need" is always "a little bit more than you have now". wink.gif

--DD
Spoke
282HP is enough to get me pulled over by the PA State Police at over 140MPH.

They couldn't keep up with me to get a speed so I got off with just a warning. beer.gif
McMark
I think 175-225 is the sweet spot. More than that is fun, but you get into diminishing returns after 200, IMHO.
Madswede
QUOTE(messix @ Apr 19 2013, 09:10 PM) *

imho
it's how the power is made. a high strung small ci 150hp engine that makes it's power in a narrow power band would be a bitch to drive around in traffic.
if you had a balance of a well mannered engine that made reasonable torque and power in the low end and then progressively more power in high rpm to 400, 500, 600, hp as long as it would be progressive and predictable.

with modern engine management systems including turbo's it is possible to have a very high hp engine that will behave and well mannered to drive around like a Honda accord when needed.

agree.gif I'm breaking in my 3.2L twin-plug, big cam, 10.5:1, PMO ITB, Megasquirt setup right now and I can say (though I'm at a mile high altitude) that it's an utter joy to drive and can be driven around town with ease.

In fact, my setup idles so low and can be so polite, it's a bit of a problem. I forget easily what really lurks behind me in that engine bay. I'm surprising people (including myself) with how quick she can be. How quick she always WANTS to be! If it were more aggressive, I think it would be like a crack-crazed kitten rather than the fun but still kinda wild puppy that it's like now.

This is really a question that can only be answered by you, the driver and owner, and the amount of $ you want to can spend. There is always going to be someone with more power and money and huevos/insanity than myself out there, so I went a certain way down that path and am not regretting it at all. So there's my $0.02 worth.

Oh, and my car has not be dyno'd yet, but it's probably around 285hp at sea level, says O'Brien.
Andyrew
Autox? You wont get much benefit from over 250hp given good tires. Track? Depends on the track and the suspension setup, but the chassis doesnt take over 500hp very well.

I think 300-400 is a really good range.

The problem on the street is to much torque, As you can see in the video above you never even heard the engine in the video as I never got much over 1/4 throttle... But keep in mind that was on concrete. The car looks very similar to that at an autox with full throttle, but also keep in mind its built to drift at a whim as thats how I like to drive. The video above is of the car with about 300hp and 380lbs of torque.

I dont think over 300lbs of torque is really advisable, the real fun here is horsepower with a nice torque curve that lets you get on the gas predictably.

I think that this chassis really benefits from a large displacement v6 or a medium displacement 4 cylinder turbo that revs high (think 7.5k) and has enough torque to pull strong from 2500+. Examples being a porsche 3.6 or a modern 1.8-2L medium sized turbo.
Cap'n Krusty
Hmmmmmm. A wise and admired driver once said something like: "If you can burn rubber from the exit of one turn until you have to brake for the next one, you have enough horsepower". He said nothing, however, about too much horsepower. IMO, having too much HP is like having too much garlic; It can't happen.

The Cap'n
messix
"if everything seems in control, you're just not going fast enough!" Mario Andretti
SirAndy
QUOTE(tadink @ Apr 19 2013, 04:28 PM) *
"how much is too much"?

I've been in a (street legal) 914 with over 1000hp.

"Too much" doesn't even begin to describe how i felt about the car.

If you like a full body workout while 100% concentrating on not losing control the whole time all the time instead of enjoying to drive, then by all means, go for it.
huh.gif
pcar916
An hour after I "finished" installing my 3.6 I wanted 100 (arbitrary figure) more hp.

Fact is that if the throttle is easily modulated, the suspension/brakes are built to match, the tires are proper, the tub is stiff and the driver has self discipline, I think ~400-500 is a good place to be... more options there. But then realistically, I'll probably want more.

Any driver pushing their skill-envelope in any 914 is gonna spin it somewhere/sometime. As far as I'm concerned, track training should be mandatory for all folks in a mid-engine car. Better to find those limits where there be runoff! That said I think money spent on suspension and driving experience has better returns on the dollar.

Curves are where it's at. I want to sling the paint off of my doors in turns. piratenanner.gif
Phil Plummer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 20 2013, 02:36 AM) *

QUOTE(tadink @ Apr 19 2013, 04:28 PM) *
"how much is too much"?

I've been in a (street legal) 914 with over 1000hp.

"Too much" doesn't even begin to describe how i felt about the car.

If you like a full body workout while 100% concentrating on not losing control the whole time all the time instead of enjoying to drive, then by all means, go for it.
huh.gif

Hey does anybody know where there is a tutorial video on instalation of metal fender flares ??
not many custom shops around here.
gothspeed
I usually think about it in power to weight and how that weight is distributed on the chassis. There are certainly big hp motors out there but in the case of V8s i think they carry too much weight for the chassis. IMO the weight of a four with the hp of a six (125-200 hp) is an ideal combination.

About 1 hp per 15 pounds of total weight is on the mild side, 1 hp per 10 pounds of total car weight is very nice for a street car and the closer to 1 hp per 5 pounds you get, the closer you are to a track / race car.
messix
an all alloy ls series v8 is not much heavier the a Porsche 6!
mr914
Simple answer by the late and great.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 19 2013, 09:08 PM) *

Then there is the Driver Equation! The fact that Car Companies make 600+HP cars that the Average Schmo can buy is a recipe for disaster!

agree.gif I saw a bunch of those a-holes at the PCA DE this weekend T.C. Too much car, not enough talent. It seems like there are more and more guys like this - who have plenty of money to go out and buy a car that they'll never have enough talent to truly drive. Sad really.

That's why I like my car. I'm literally forced to learn driving mechanics from the ground up. And hopefully T.C. will come give me some pointers in May? biggrin.gif confused24.gif
r_towle
I,m sorry, is this a trick question?
I don't understand...

Is the original poster of the female gender?
johannes
The 914 is a very light car compared to modern panzers...
Power to weight ratio is what will give you the best information about the performance compared to modern cars...

When your 914 has:
190 + hp you are in Boxster Territory
225 + hp you are in Boxster S Territory
230 + hp You are in 911 Carrera Territory
260 + hp You are in 911 S Carrera Territory
300 + hp You are in GT3 territory ... Scary ! better update brakes, suspension ...

sean_v8_914
horsepower and money...
"I,m sorry, is this a trick question?
I don't understand.."
badmiata
QUOTE(johannes @ Apr 22 2013, 03:36 AM) *

Power to weight ratio is what will give you the best information about the performance compared to modern cars...

When your 914 has:
300 + hp You are in GT3 territory ... Scary ! better update brakes, suspension ...

So a Subaru Sti with 300hp / wrx trans and gt flares would give you the power to weight of a GT3?
JmuRiz
I would think that would weigh more, closer to the 911s
gothspeed
QUOTE(johannes @ Apr 22 2013, 04:36 AM) *

When your 914 has:

Good Post johannes! It is also worthwhile to note, that every single one of those cars listed in Johannes list, has better suspension, chassis ... and .... brakes that are at least TWICE as good as on most 914s .... popcorn[1].gif
a914622
Well I will pipe in. Its not the hp its the tork baby. I have a SB chevy 302 with injection and one coil per plug, alum heads ported and polished, long runner headers. I set the computer to turn off spark and fuel a 6500. It revs like an electric motor from 1500-6000. I built the same motor for a life long chevy guy and after his first launch he PUSHED his nova back in the garage and said I will never drive that car again, and he didnt.

And yes it is to much for the street!! Even with 993 brakes there just isnt enough tire to go or stop..I shifted 3 to 4 at 70 and i could boil the tires with the right foot.

So im stuffing the svx engine in hoping for a good 250 with good usable power. I would think one of the modern subys with the VVT system and a huge torque curve would be perfect for the 914 chase? What did they win Lamons with 210 hp?

jcl

J P Stein
Brit finally blew the 901 ....12 inch slicks on concrete at a pro solo.
I finger that 350ish hp/torque was too much.....for the trans.

Add a bunch of power to a 914 and all you'll get is tire smoke. Couple that with tires and then you find the weak spots in the drive train and chassis limitations. Work at that long & hard and you'll find suspension limitations.

IMO, the answer to the original question is "As much as you can use"

rfuerst911sc
I have aprox. 225 hp out of my 3.0 SC motor in my GT clone and I'm happy with the performance. With 911 M brake calipers/rotors she stops good. For me I don't think I would be comfortable driving her with too much more power as getting the tires to hook up when on the throttle hard now is an issue. Better rubber would help and I need to do that.
DBCooper
A lot of wisdom in the answers here. I have probably 260 crank HP, maybe a little more, with 215's, Koni's and Carrera brakes. In a narrow-bodied car and at my age with those tires on public roads it's all I can really use, but I wouldn't turn down more. It's sweet, but it's not too much.

Funny thing, though, I've driven momentum cars all my life, never point and shoot, and I think that adding HP changed the way I drive the car. Now I'm firm but probably not as fast in the corners as I was. I think it's because now that I have the power my mind tells me I don't need to get as close to the edge in the curves because there's always a straight coming up, and I now I look forward to straights. I haven't changed weight or weight distribution, so the car handles exactly the same, it isn't that. It could the way the turbo engine builds boost, it could be my age, whatever, but I suspect it's mental, from just that addition of power. It's not something I anticipated, so it's strange. Might explain why those Corvettes are never as fast as you think they should be.
carr914
QUOTE(johannes @ Apr 22 2013, 07:36 AM) *

When your 914 has:

Except you didn't factor in the Weights of the Cars - any 914-6 will be at least 500-1000lbs lighter than the cars listed

Take Weight Out - Go Faster!
johannes
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 23 2013, 04:33 AM) *

Except you didn't factor in the Weights of the Cars

Oh yes I did. I even calculated the Din vs CE Weight for the new cars...
Do your maths...
johannes
QUOTE(badmiata @ Apr 22 2013, 01:02 PM) *

So a Subaru Sti with 300hp / wrx trans and gt flares would give you the power to weight of a GT3?

If you can keep the weight of the 914 between 900 and 910 kg the answer is:
Yes Sir
carr914
QUOTE(johannes @ Apr 23 2013, 08:40 AM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 23 2013, 04:33 AM) *

Except you didn't factor in the Weights of the Cars

Oh yes I did. I even calculated the Din vs CE Weight for the new cars...
Do your maths...

Maybe I'm missing something huh.gif

example;
If your 914 has 225HP - you are in Boxster S Territory

A Boxster S has 225HP and weighs a Lot more than a 914
gothspeed
I don't know what years johannes used but the 2013 boxster and boxster S weigh 2888 & 2910 pounds and have 265 & 315 HP respectively. So just quickly looking at his numbers without a calculator, they appear legit. smile.gif
johannes
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 23 2013, 05:04 AM) *

Maybe I'm missing something huh.gif

example;
If your 914 has 225HP - you are in Boxster S Territory

A Boxster S has 225HP and weighs a Lot more than a 914

A boxster S makes 315 HP in my country ...
http://www.porsche.com/france/models/boxst...aturesandspecs/

J P Stein

The Shitbox had 200hp RWHP and weighed 1725lbs.
None of those Panzer pigs could deal with it at an AX.....even when more cubic dollars were added to em'.

There is more to quick than HP/weight. Inertia works its way in there...you might wanna write that down some where.
Woody
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 23 2013, 08:36 AM) *

The Shitbox had 200hp RWHP and weighed 1725lbs.
None of those Panzer pigs could deal with it at an AX.....even when more cubic dollars were added to em'.

There is more to quick than HP/weight. Inertia works its way in there...you might wanna write that down some where.

Whats inertia and where can I buy some? blink.gif poke.gif
carr914
QUOTE(Woody @ Apr 23 2013, 12:36 PM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 23 2013, 08:36 AM) *

Whats inertia and where can I buy some? blink.gif poke.gif

Comes in a Little Blue Pill!
Rand
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 22 2013, 11:04 PM) *

"As much as you can use"

Bingo. The the best concise answer for sure!

The tough question is, how much can you use. I guess that's what this thread is really about.
Cupomeat
I remember that when the Porsche 928 GTS came out on the early 90s, and it had 345hp (Final HP) figure, Car & Driver's review said (paraphrasing) that 345hp was too much for a (any) standard shift car, and preferred the car in an automatic.

This suggests that it is all about the control of the power and the smoothness of how it is applied to the ground.

For a 914, I'd say that without significant weigh increase, 250hp is more than you'd ever need in a street car and even then you can get yourself in SIGNIFICANT trouble, upsetting the chassis and losing control easily.

In the right hands (and feet) more can be more fun at time, but hard to use all of it.

To that end, I'll leave with the old adage:
Going fast in a slow car is more fun than going slow in a fast car.

Enjoy
Rand
There's never too much power, but there most certainly is a point where more is unusable. How much HP does it take to accelerate from 0-40mph? How much HP does it take to accelerate from 80-120mph? Obviously way different. So it's not about how much overall, but how much you can use at any given point.

I wouldn't want something so squirelly that I couldn't touch the throttle without it going instantly ballistic in downtown traffic. But that amount of power could be usable on high speed straight.

The more power I had, the more I would want to be able to modify the throttle curve. IE, I don't want the first 1/4" of the throttle throw to blast me 800hp. To me, it's not the total HP, but rather the delivery curve. Give me a friendly control and let me use my foot to determine how much I get.
shuie
1300 is probably too much. IMHO. YMMV.
Jgilliam914
A friend of mine had a 1971 Hemi Cuda with dual quads. The PO had it set up for 1/8 mi drags. That was too much power in that chassis for street driving. You couldn't get the tires to hook up to launch the car. But boy if you did that would have been a fun ride. He tried to sell it to me in 1981 for $2500. Shoulda woulda coulda... headbang.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.