Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't Open Passenger Door
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
munkmunk
Just joined you all with the recent purchase of a '74 2.0 (also have a '73 2.0 project car coming this weekend!).

The passenger side door handle is cracked, so the door won't open from the outside. Problem is it won't open from the inside either. Door lock doesn't work with the key for the driver's side. Maybe it's because the lock was changed on the passenger side?
Dunno. Anyway, ugh, can't get the door open. Looks like it's possible to remove the door panel from the inside with the door closed. After I do that, how do I get the door open and remove the outer door handle?

Steve
Brad Roberts
Hey Steve.. welcome clap56.gif

It is very hard to get the door panel off without destroying it. It will be somewhat blocked by the dash.

However.. you can peel the back portion off enough to get your hand in there.

You'll need to remove the armrest (should have 4 5mm allen screws: 1 at the top under a plastic cover and 3 under the cover that slides on near the bottom. Once you get these off the door panel can be "pried" off from the very end. They snap into place with little plastic cones. I would also remove the window crank (should be a single phillips head screw...DONT lose it. The phillips screw is a certain depth for the window crank) Now the door panel will pull far enough away from the door that you can reach in and manuelly operate the latch mechanism.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh. The top of the door panel slides down into the door in 3-4 places. You will have to lift the end slightly to get the panel to move away from the door.

Jeeze..

Just bring it down to the shop. I wont charge you anything.

2431 Spring street Redwood city 94063

Dont show up at 5 minutes to 5pm.

B
scotty914
yes it possible to remove the door panel with the door closed. but it is not easy and you most likely slightly damage the door panel.

and to remove the door handle once you get the door open is a 5 mm allen key inside the door which is hard to find if you drop it.

try to shake the door, lift the door as you try to open it from both sides. if you cant get it open that way, pull the inside door handle and pull in the rod with vise grips.

once you get it open pull every thing, repair whats needed and lube it
skline
And if that doesnt work, cut a hole in the outside door panel and reach in and open it, then unbolt it from the car and throw it down a cliff and get another door to replace that one.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(skline @ Nov 23 2004, 05:25 AM)
And if that doesnt work, cut a hole in the outside door panel and reach in and open it, then unbolt it from the car and throw it down a cliff and get another door to replace that one.

lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
aircooledboy
Hate to be the potential buzz killer for the new guy, but. . . .

Is the door not opening because the frame has sagged so far it jammed? Look at the gap around the door. If there is no gap at the top by the handle. . . . barf.gif
URY914
QUOTE(aircooledboy @ Nov 23 2004, 08:18 AM)
Hate to be the potential buzz killer for the new guy, but. . . .

Is the door not opening because the frame has sagged so far it jammed? Look at the gap around the door. If there is no gap at the top by the handle. . . .  :barf:

This is the reason many of the door hadles break in the fisrt place IMO.

The car sags, the latch pin on the door moves out of alinement, you have to pull harder on the handle to release the latch and handle mounting tab breaks off.

Yes I can fix handles but it is quicker to get off ebay.

Paul
munkmunk
Thanks everyone. I'll try pulling the end of the door panel away as Brad described. I'd bring the 914 to your shop Brad, but I'm having a problem with it stalling at every stop light after it's been warmed up. Also, the idle is erratic, surging up and down. I see from some past posts that this is not an uncommon problem with 914's. Mine's a '74 2.0.

Steve
Joe Ricard
Ifd the door is hanging up on the jam just put a floor jack under the car and lift till the gap opens up. Then try the handle again.

Then strip everything possible from the car and throw the whole damn thing over a cliff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.