Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help w/ oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
young 914 owner
Hi, i have a 72 914-4 with a freshly rebuilt 1.7 case and crank shaft w/ big pistons and cylinders. i have been having a massive problem w/ the engine leaking excessive oil first i fixed the hole in the dipstick tube( machine shop bent it when i got my case worked on) then figured out that the thermostat pulley had to be on. On fixing each of these the oil leak has been decreasing as each got fixed, but on the side of the engine w/ the pulley it is still leaking too much to drive it regularly. the oil drips down on to the exhaust and produces quite a bit of smoke. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about where this mysterious leak could be coming from? it is not coming from the push rod tubes from the best that i can see. i have dropped the engine about 4 times trying to resolve this issue and hopefully some one can help me with this problem
JStroud
The valve covers tend to leak, take a picture of the area that might help us identify where it's coming from.

And, welcome.png

Jeff
young 914 owner
QUOTE(jsconst @ Apr 20 2013, 03:23 PM) *

The valve covers tend to leak, take a picture of the area that might help us identify where it's coming from.

And, welcome.png

Jeff

i will try to get some pictures but from what i could see the cylinder heads appeared wet w/ motor oil, not sure if it could some how come from the valve covers or not, hopefully when i get some pictures it will help
904svo
Check that your oil pressure sending unit is tight and not leaking. Its located under
the distributor.
young 914 owner
yeah ive been driving it around for the last day and a half and the smoking went away, so i'm glad that it finally not having major issues w/ oil leaking i'm thinking that either the valve cover gasket swelled or the heat exchangers just had tons of oil on them and it just had to burn away either way im happy that i can drive it again and thanks for the help guys
stugray
then figured out that the thermostat pulley had to be on

Are you saying that you had oil leaking out through the thermostat pulley bolt hole?
Now that would be strange.
I wonder if they all do that or if you have a flaw in your casting?

Stu
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 22 2013, 09:20 PM) *

I wonder if they all do that or if you have a flaw in your casting?

They all do that--the pulley bolt hole is a through hole. Doesn't usually leak until you make a right turn or run at high RPM.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.