Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frame stiffener, overlays longitudinal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Luke M
I'm getting ready to work on the 6 now that the weather is getting nice again.
One of the major projects that needs to be done is the repair of the r/r outer long.
I have most of the metal to start the repair but need some advice on the installation of the frame stiffener kit. This is also known as the clam shells and sold by restoration design. Has anyone done a step by step install for these?
I thought there was something on the r/d website but it's no longer there.
I know that I need to measure several points on the car prior to welding to confirm it's straight. I'll post pics as I go along with this repair.

Luke M
Some pics of what I have to deal with.
injunmort
r/d does have an outer long overlay that goes from the front of the door post back to the outer suspension console. I have them but have not yet installed them.
Luke M
QUOTE(injunmort @ Apr 21 2013, 06:21 AM) *

r/d does have an outer long overlay that goes from the front of the door post back to the outer suspension console. I have them but have not yet installed them.

I have them too. I'm looking to see if someone has installed a set. Figure I'd ask before digging into it. I'm not sure if there's problems that I may encounter while installing these. They look like a straight forward install but who knows until I get started.
cary
I have a set on my rack of parts to be used on my restoration.
I'm not seeing folks using them much.
Now a days. Folks dig a little deeper than they did a few years back.
They want to cut all the rust out.
I don't think I'll use the set I have at this point

I see the stiffener as more of a band-aid for the person not wanting to get to the bottom of the problem. Short term fix
If you don't cut out all the rust. It will continue the eat the car apart. My .02c.
IMHO you wouldn't want to use them on a 914-6. It will create additional issues when the increasing value on the car warrants a complete restoration. Once again, my .02c.

As for installing it. The door sills have to come out so you can weld the top seams.
Looking at mine a couple times. The biggest issue I see is getting a good surface on the bottom seam. Pretty bumpy It needs a good flat surface.
Drill your spot weld holes and your good to go.
Don't forget to use weld thru primer.

Sorry for being so blunt. But I play all my cards face up ...............

Rleog
I know that Chris Foley from Tangerine Racing has installed clamshells. He's at Hersey now. He's likely to eventually see your post/pics. Perhaps you could PM him and ask for his evaluation of clamshells.
Dasnowman

I'm in the same situation, as the bottom wheel house has rot and also the upper wheel house rust where the battery bracket was. The biggest problem is the bottom wheel house has all the suspension mounted to it. On my car the suspension mounts are in very good shape so I was just going to cut the AA wheelhouse around the suspension mount then weld it in then put the GT 914-6 reinforcement over it. I have a buddy that work in the auto collision industry for many years coming over to have a look at it so that this is the correct way to tackle this or not.

I'll run down stairs and take some pictures..

here is a couple for now

IPB Image

IPB Image

Dasnowman

IPB Image

IPB Image

SO I was think about trimming the AA wheelhouse repair piece like this but like I said before I'm going to have a collision buddy check it out first to see what is the best way to tackle this. I really rather not have to take the suspension mounts all apart as it's really solid and seems to be true.

IPB Image

peteyd
This is pretty good timing.

We did take the old installation pictures off of the website. They were dated and we felt that an updated how to install video would help the masses.

Right now the chassis we will install the overlays on, is at the sandblaster. It then needs a quick primer coat and then we will have the car back here. We plan to get the video taken this week or next and then come out with the video shortly after.

Stay tuned and I will let everyone know when we have completed the install.

Pete
Luke M
QUOTE(peteyd @ Apr 21 2013, 12:57 PM) *

This is pretty good timing.

We did take the old installation pictures off of the website. They were dated and we felt that an updated how to install video would help the masses.

Right now the chassis we will install the overlays on, is at the sandblaster. It then needs a quick primer coat and then we will have the car back here. We plan to get the video taken this week or next and then come out with the video shortly after.

Stay tuned and I will let everyone know when we have completed the install.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yeah, that would be great. I'll wait it out until I see your video. Meantime I can fix a few other issues.. You'll be hearing from me as I need to place an order.

Luke M
QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Apr 21 2013, 11:23 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

SO I was think about trimming the AA wheelhouse repair piece like this but like I said before I'm going to have a collision buddy check it out first to see what is the best way to tackle this. I really rather not have to take the suspension mounts all apart as it's really solid and seems to be true.

IPB Image

I'm doing the same thing. I cut my new metal to fit around the outer control arm mount. I don't see a problem with doing it this way. I'll post a few pics later tonight.
rjames
Luke,
I would echo what Cary said. Fix the rust, don't just cover it up!
Dasnowman

[/quote]

I'm doing the same thing. I cut my new metal to fit around the outer control arm mount. I don't see a problem with doing it this way. I'll post a few pics later tonight.
[/quote]

That would be great did you end up taking the door sill off or cut the metal to fit before it?
Luke M
[quote name='Dasnowman' date='Apr 21 2013, 04:31 PM' post='1853335']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That would be great did you end up taking the door sill off or cut the metal to fit before it?
[/quote]

I'm still working on that part. Looks like I'm going to have to remove the sills.
Yes, I'm going to repair all the rust issues not just covering it up. I got the clam shells to stiffen the chassis up. It was the shells or engman like kit. I went with the clam shells.
mepstein
I think you have to remove the consoles since they are bare metal inside and rust from the inside out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.