Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 71 Lightweight 1.7L, LOTS of new, $7,500 OBO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
tadink
Hey all -

Testing the waters on my project - it is a 71 tub (rust free in all the right places) with some interesting modifications. McMark is helping on this one....and guiding me along the journey.

Clean CA title, 1.7L engine from a '73 that was just a bit too rusty, side shifter transmission that shifts really smooth. This '71 tub was at McMark's and was a good candidate for my goals.

The front and rear qtr panels have been cut out - replaced with QRS f'glass quarters.

Carbon Fibre front hood.

FGlass rear hood with deep lip.

916 fglass rear bumper, 916 fglass front bumper (not installed but included)

IMSA air dam included

GT engine lid.

ALL NEW brake system - Master Cylinder, calipers, rotors have been cross drilled.

Stainless steel fuel lines thru the tunnel.

5 Lug hubs (drilled on 4-Lug base) 17" wheels with spacers, Continental ContactPro2 tires all around - 255/40 17 on the rear, 205/50 17 on the front.

Front and rear anti-sway bars. Turbo Tie-Rods.

KYB shocks all around - oversized rear springs. Bilsteins included that can be rebuilt. Tons of spare parts as well, including a steel front hood and WEVO short shifter.

And the results: This car has been built to go light, lighter, lightest. I've taken approx 150 lbs off the car by removing the front and rear steel hoods, rear bumper, quarter panels all around, engine lid, etc etc etc. During my first couple of autocrosses, the performance was as expected - the car sticks like glue due to the massive tires, is responsive, turns in sharply, zero body roll, etc. My plans were to learn momentum on this lighter weight, lower power platform and then move up to more horsepower.....which I'm in the process of doing!

The car handles extremely well and while firm, is comfortable on the road / freeways. The 1.7L starts and fires every time, and appears to be a solid engine. Side Shifter trans is smooth and trouble free.

I've found a higher horsepower 914 platform that I'll continue to build - so this project has to go. If you want a solid platform for building a GT-6, like putting in a 3.2 which was my goal - this car would be a great place to start, while you are driving and enjoying the handling that only a wide-body 914 platform can provide.

There is a bit of rust in the rear trunk, but as McMark describes the car - "it has no rust where it counts" and I've been up and inside this car from every angle....it is a great platform! Cosmetically - think race-car!

Located Napa and SF

Please don't hesitate to call with questions - or to check with McMark on the car's condition.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment[attachmentid=382
141]Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
tadink
More pix - having trouble getting these to post right way up - grrrr

anyone have any ideas about getting this right side up? Could be Aussie car I suppose?

Click to view attachment
tadink
sigh, email me for more pix, tadink -at- yahoo.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.