Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel cell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1stworks
Iam thinking of installing fuel cell.The top of my tank is leaky.I would install the tank between front tires.I would think it should handle better with lower center of gravity.Maybe front tires bit harder?
Any input would b great.
Thanks
carr914
You won't be able to have a Gas Guage & will have to monitor how much Fuel manually

You will be moving weight forward. The Stock Tank is actually in a very good olace

I wish that Patrick (Fuel Safe) Cell that is made out of a Stock 914 Tank wasn't so expensive

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/fue...racing-porsche/
If it were me, I would call Patrick motor sports for one of theirs. Goes in "stock " location etc , etc. Count on spending $2k
damesandhotrods
Wouldn’t it be a lot easier and cheaper just to change out a couple of gaskets? I think Porsche put the tank where it is because the front is a crumple zone. Besides that would still leave the useful trunk intact…
brant
fuel cell bladders are only certified for a limited life
they will last longer of course, but technically have a 5 year life span from a safety stand point.
Steve
I have the Patrick tank. It's nice and my car no longer starves for gas in the corners, but it does not support the stock charcoal canister, gas vapor setup. I am planning on using external 911 stuff to get rid of the fuel vapors in the cabin.
1stworks
Thanks for replying!!!!!
pcar916
I've been using my 15 gallon FS ProCell since 1999. Time now to brake open, inspect everything and replace the pickup filter and line. One correction though...

There actually are sending unit's that are either matched up to your Porsche fuel gauge, or whichever gauge you have or buy at the same time. In fact you can get a full sweep sending unit or one that simply tells you when you're getting low on fuel via a light on your dash.

Mine is a compromise street/track car though, and I accept the loss of the front trunk... but that's probably because I still have the rear trunk to fall back on. That said, you can cut the firewall between the trunk and the original tank area and locate the cell farther back. I cut a slot in my bulkhead to allow the cell to snuggle back flush with the bulkhead without removing it completely. That way I still have the strength it provides and I can mount stuff to it.

You can see the passenger side of the slot in the first picture just to the left of the hood outlet, and how the cell fits into it in the second underneath the fuel pump/filter. Get's me about an inch and a half at the front of the trunk that I needed for the oil cooler outlet.

The third pic shows the filler plate complete with a sending unit beside the filler cap.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
luskesq
If the tank itself isn't leaking I'd put in a new gasket. Mark at 914Rubber, a vendor on this site with a good reputation (no affiliation) sells the rubber gasket for dirt cheap, good quality, and easy install. I got one from him as well as a new gas cap seal (and a number of other items over the years).

Keith
Steve
Unless you need it for racing, I would stick with the stock tank. If your running a six with fuel injection, just keep the tank topped off to prevent starvation in the corners. I also only noticed this at Streets of Willow with a half tank of gas. Autocross you are usually not in a corner long enough to have this problem.
pcar916
agree.gif Geez, I forgot the point to my input above. I'd stick to the stock tank as well on a strictly street car unless you just want a cool (expensive) project. Spend the several thousand dollars on driving experiences and suspension.

ChrisFoley
One important thing to note: Todays pump gas will eat the fuel cell foam and plug the filter over time, especially if left over winter and the alcohol has time to separate out.
stugray
I have a spare tank (actually TWO I think) in Longmont.

I also have a car with a fuel cell installed if you would like to have a look.

Stu
1stworks
Thanks again for advice!!!

Matt Romanowski
You can get fuel level sensors and gauges for fuel cells.
Mike Bellis
You can get a fuel cell with a sending unit.

You can use this converter to operate the stock gauge... smile.gif
https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.php/fu...uge-wizard.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.