Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone here do chrome? Or have a good shop near them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Title pretty much says it all, but I've got a nice set of fog lights with early style TN1-TN2 lenses that I'm trying to restore as a side project. As with most of these sets, the reflectors need to be re-chromed, though they're actually in pretty good shape. I just don't want to go through the process of cleaning everything else up and leave the job half done.

I thought maybe some of you bretheren out in California might know of a good chrome shop, or perhaps even someone here does small chrome jobs from time to time. I was quoted $100 per reflector by a local shop, but that seems pretty high to me. I can and will strip the chrome first, if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your help!

-George
bulitt
Barry- (70-914nut) does powder coating and can do chrome PC if that is an option.
Mike Bellis
You can't even get good chrome in California anymore. Only shitty eco-friendly stuff now... sad.gif
jeffdon
Ever seen the film floating on water method of covering a part in a pattern? Could that be done with a chrome like film?
ellisor3
Not cheap, but work is excellent. In Melbourne

http://www.spacecoast-plating.com/
scotty b
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 22 2013, 03:42 PM) *

Title pretty much says it all, but I've got a nice set of fog lights with early style TN1-TN2 lenses that I'm trying to restore as a side project. As with most of these sets, the reflectors need to be re-chromed, though they're actually in pretty good shape. I just don't want to go through the process of cleaning everything else up and leave the job half done.

I thought maybe some of you bretheren out in California might know of a good chrome shop, or perhaps even someone here does small chrome jobs from time to time. I was quoted $100 per reflector by a local shop, but that seems pretty high to me. I can and will strip the chrome first, if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your help!

-George

100.00 per isn't high. Chrome isn't cheap, and you WILL get what you pay for. Glass bead them and paint them silver, or dig deep.

For comparison, we had a customers Alfa hubcaps redone a few years ago at 400.00 per and they were pretty nice to begin with. They were f-ing stellar after
ThePaintedMan
Thanks for the advice guys. I know very little about chrome and apparently very little about the world in general still. blink.gif Just been one of those days. Thank you for the price advice Scotty. Maybe I'll swing back by that shop I went to. Or, I'll take a look into James' suggestion over in Melbourne.
a914622
Hang on . Do a google search of chrome on plastic. There is a shop in , I thing, Georgia that send his stuff to Texas. Chroming dashes , tail light reflectors and headlights are his specialty. I had the site booked marked but cant find it now.

Queen city plating in Washington does a lot of the pebble beach cars. Good but spendy.

jcl
zymurgist
There's a guy on the EX500 board who has been doing chrome since 1988. He's near Pittsburgh.
Dr Evil
Do tell, Ken. I may need this service and know others as well that are local that will.
aharder
Superior Chrome Plating
Attn: Bobby Baker
7326 Domino Lane
Houston,Texas 77076
Chroming auto parts since 1952
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 23 2013, 07:07 AM) *

Do tell, Ken. I may need this service and know others as well that are local that will.

agree.gif
Mblizzard
While I would recommend that this be professionally done, there are some do-it-yourself kits. http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplati...ating-kits.html

At about $200 for the kit and a plating rectifier $129 it might be an option for some. I have never used this kit and I am only providing the information. I am not recommending this in anyway.
monkeyboy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Apr 22 2013, 05:37 PM) *

You can't even get good chrome in California anymore. Only shitty eco-friendly stuff now... sad.gif

Not true. Artistic Silver Plating chromed my wheels. They look amazing, but you get what you pay for, and I paid for amazing.

They also have an hourly rate for "show chrome" if you want it done until it's perfect.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 23 2013, 11:07 AM) *

His name is Ray. Here's a thread that he posted on ex-500.com. Tell him that Ken, the guy who bought his lower fairing, sent you.

I seem to remember him mentioning in another thread that they chrome plastic parts by first coating the plastic with a high copper content paint.

I will fix your scratched rusty exhaust. #like new again
SchantzMD
Hi George,

You might want to do some searching on the reflector coating, I know I did and boy did I learn a lot! Anyway here's a link to a board post of mine a while back that describes my senior thesis and covers the process and the building of my PVD machine,

PVD Machine

What you'll find is that almost all factory reflectors are not chromed, they are actually coverered in a coating of Al or Ag that's evaporated onto the substrate at a micron level. The trick is that the metal needs to be evaportated in a "perfect" vacuum, if not the mirror finish becomes black and/or tarnished.

My machine is done and works but I haven't had enough time to finish perfecting the application process since graduation. I'm hoping to get back to it sometime before the end of the year so I can start recoating reflectors. If I do you'll see a post on the board.

Chroming works on reflectors too, but the reason that they are coated in Al or Ag is because of the preferred outputted light color and the higher reflectivness.

Mike

dakotaewing
You can also look at http://www.paulschrome.com/ as an option...
carr914
George there is Chrome Shop up near my House (or used to be confused24.gif )
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 23 2013, 07:04 PM) *

George there is Chrome Shop up near my House (or used to be confused24.gif )

I checked those dudes T.C. They're out of business.

Mike, it's good to see you back around here. I remember your thread about the PVD machine, but hadn't seen you here in awhile and didn't know the status of your project. Honestly, I'd rather keep it in the "family" anyway, so I'll wait to see what turns out with it smile.gif You sound like you really know what *should* be on the reflectors in the first place.

However, thanks for everyone else's advice. If I go chrome, at least those are some options now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.