Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What did you learn about 914s today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
michael7810
My left rear turn signal and side marker bulbs were burned out. So I cleaned the sockets and installed new bulbs and everything checked out OK. Next morning I was cleaning the interior and when I was finished the left side parking lights were on. I figure the problem must be with the left rear lights since I just worked on them. Removed the lens, bulbs look OK. Wiring in the back of housing looks OK. Now what?? I turn the light switch on, everything works OK. Turn it off, left side lights still on. I remove fuse #5 and the lights go out. I figure it must be the light switch. I lower the fuse panel and remove the switch and it checks out OK. Crap, I get the Haynes manual out and magnifying glass and trace the wiring diagram and see the wires for the parking lights branch off to another switch call "steering column switch." What the hell is that, so I trace the wires of that switch and find it's the turn signal switch. headbang.gif headbang.gif So after an hour of troubleshooting I learned the turn signal switch activates the left/right parking lights with the car off. I assume this is normal operation. confused24.gif
drgchapman
Isn't it a great idea? Euro parking idea, I think...
Sorry to hear of your headbang.
McMark
In some countries in Europe (at least at the time of the 914) when you parked on the side of the road, you turned the lights on for that side so oncoming traffic could see you. You'll find this feature in most german cars. Hmmm, now I'm wondering if my 2006 Rabbit does that... idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 23 2013, 08:12 AM) *
In some countries in Europe (at least at the time of the 914) when you parked on the side of the road, you turned the lights on for that side so oncoming traffic could see you. You'll find this feature in most german cars. Hmmm, now I'm wondering if my 2006 Rabbit does that... idea.gif

agree.gif

Parking lights. You use your blinker to turn on the parking lights on either side.
At least in the '70s and '80s all German cars had that option.
Not sure if they still do ...

driving.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 23 2013, 08:25 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 23 2013, 08:12 AM) *

agree.gif

Parking lights. You use your blinker to turn on the parking lights on either side.
At least in the '70s and '80s all German cars had that option.
Not sure if they still do ...

driving.gif

My 2006 Porsche 997 had that feature. I had an '86 Saab Turbo Convertible that did as well as two '90's models Audi's. I think my 2002 BMW 530i has it...I'll have to check.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.