Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: not so lucky with my oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eyesright
Young 914 owner 's oil leak dried up. Im not so lucky.

I recently built my '76 2.0 engine. It runs fine but I am dripping a half quart of oil in 80 miles. I assembled the case with sealer ala Jakes video and installed seals according to video and Wilson. Oil pressure sender, oil pump, oil cooler, oil filter are all dry. Valve covers, pushrod tubes, head and jugs are dry. Sump is wet and tranny and rear bumper...I dried it off and ran it in place for a few minutes and shut it down. Case seams, oil strainer and drain plug are dry. Oil drips from the front and rear of the case so I assume the front and real seals are not doing their job.

I'll got my crank from Rimco and I'll call them to see what's up. Off hand I don't recall if the seals are on a turned journal. Would that matter? And I suppose I got my seals from them but I'll have to check my stack of invoices.

After 600 breakin miles, its still dripping. I've added some seal conditioner with no luck. Anybody have any similiar experience?

I'll post the outcome but in the meantime I'd be glad to hear from anybody.
TheCabinetmaker
Use a couple of cans of brake cleaner to get all the oil off. Then get under it with a good light while its running. There could be more than one leak. I look for the oil at its forward most point. It might need to be at cruise rpm before the leaks show up. Ususal spots are the filter, pressure relief, drain plug, sump cover, oil temp cender cover, oil cooler, and pressure sender. Of course, there is, as you've mentioned, the front and rear seal.
JStroud
Did you drill and tap the galley plugs during the rebuild, if not one or more of those could be leaking.

Good luck
Jeff
gothspeed
After my very detailed 2056 build, i had a leak from one spot. It was from the bolt between the cylinders just above the sump. It was found after cleaning the engine as described above and looking around with a very good focused flashlight.
76-914
did you forget the crank o-ring? like Curt says, check forward and work your way back.
rhcb914
"Off hand I don't recall if the seals are on a turned journal. "

The oil seals don't seal on a crank shaft journal. The rear main seals on the flywheel and the front seals on the fan hub. If you did not clean either of those up before assembly there is a very good chance that the seals are not on a fresh surface and can easily leak.

jcd914
QUOTE(rhcb914 @ Apr 23 2013, 04:43 PM) *

"Off hand I don't recall if the seals are on a turned journal. "

The oil seals don't seal on a crank shaft journal. The rear main seals on the flywheel and the front seals on the fan hub. If you did not clean either of those up before assembly there is a very good chance that the seals are not on a fresh surface and can easily leak.

The flywheel has an o-ring inside it that seals to the crank and fan hub has an o-ring to seal it to nose of the crank.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.