Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Rear Mirror Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kaduku
I was just about to pull the trigger on a new rear mirror replacement, but I just found out that you just can't hank the old one off without breaking the windshield.

Anyone successful in replacing their mirror without damaging your windshield?

7TPorsh
heat up the area with a hair dryer. then use a wire or guitar string to pry off the base
Kaduku
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Apr 23 2013, 12:35 PM) *

heat up the area with a hair dryer. then use a wire or guitar string to pry off the base

So did you try this and it worked? I asked about this method and they said it would still probably chip the glass.

7TPorsh
I did but not on my 914. I changed the glass on my teener so never had to.

I went with the BMW replacement so the new mirror is not glued...
DBCooper
I've done it that way, several times. I use a single edged razor to loosen all around the pad glue once it's hot. You can get it pretty hot but don't overheat the glass, you can discolor the plastic safety layer.
Joe Owensby
I did this. I used the heat gun to heat the metal piece instead of the glass. Then used a gentle pry to get it off the window. JoeO
Kaduku
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Apr 23 2013, 04:15 PM) *

I did this. I used the heat gun to heat the metal piece instead of the glass. Then used a gentle pry to get it off the window. JoeO

Scary but I will try this weekend. Until then, I will hold off buying the mirror.

JawjaPorsche
What is funny is there was recall on the mirrors because they would fall off the glass without warning. Mine did!

I went with the BMW mirror that screws into the sun visor holes when I replaced my windshield last fall.
kwlane
Where can one get the BMW mirror? My project car's mirror is not on the windshield so rather not have to deal with getting it back on.
Kaduku
QUOTE(kwlane @ Apr 23 2013, 10:00 PM) *

Where can one get the BMW mirror? My project car's mirror is not on the windshield so rather not have to deal with getting it back on.

eBay

JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(kwlane @ Apr 24 2013, 01:00 AM) *

Here is link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-interi...440&vxp=mtr
DBCooper
I have that BMW mirror too. For the most part much better than the stock mirror, but if you're tall it sits just a bit too low in your field of vision. Just a wee bit. For me.
Madswede
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Apr 24 2013, 11:48 AM) *

I have that BMW mirror too. For the most part much better than the stock mirror, but if you're tall it sits just a bit too low in your field of vision. Just a wee bit. For me.

This is my concern, as I'm on the tallish side. I'm going to order one just to try it out anyway. I suppose if I don't like it, I'll either re-sell it at a swap meet someday, or have someone cut a length of the arm off and re-weld it closer to the bracket or something. But then it might look a bit too funky. We'll see.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(Madswede @ Apr 24 2013, 06:09 PM) *

This is my concern, as I'm on the tallish side. I'm going to order one just to try it out anyway. I suppose if I don't like it, I'll either re-sell it at a swap meet someday, or have someone cut a length of the arm off and re-weld it closer to the bracket or something. But then it might look a bit too funky. We'll see.

The seller makes them. Contact him to see if he has a shorter arm. One word of caution, a shorter arm might interfere with your sunvisors. Just letting you know.
andys
QUOTE(Madswede @ Apr 24 2013, 03:09 PM) *

I installed the BMW mirror, and I find it is at its upward tilt adjustment limit which is not quite enough to see very far behind......I find myself ducking down just a bit to get a better view. I might try shimming the mounting base. I'm only 5'9", so I can imagine a taller driver would have an issue with this.

Andys
Kaduku
QUOTE(andys @ Apr 24 2013, 03:29 PM) *

I installed the BMW mirror, and I find it is at its upward tilt adjustment limit which is not quite enough to see very far behind......I find myself ducking down just a bit to get a better view. I might try shimming the mounting base. I'm only 5'9", so I can imagine a taller driver would have an issue with this.

Andys

I am not surprise with these replies. When I first saw these on eBay, I tried to imagine how they would look like while I was seated in the car. In my case though, I am very short so the higher position on the windshield was obviously going to be a problem for me.

Kaduku
QUOTE(andys @ Apr 24 2013, 03:29 PM) *

Andys

I am not surprise with these replies. When I first saw these on eBay, I tried to imagine how they would look like while I was seated in the car. In my case though, I am very short so the higher position on the windshield was obviously going to be a problem for me.

DBCooper
Well mine isn't THAT bad. It's lot better than the standard 914 mirror, just not quite perfect. For me.
Madswede
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Apr 24 2013, 04:13 PM) *

The seller makes them. Contact him to see if he has a shorter arm. One word of caution, a shorter arm might interfere with your sunvisors. Just letting you know.

Thanks for the info, I'll contact the seller. I'm leaving the sun visors off, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm a shade under 6'3" tall, so as it turns out I never really use the sun visors anyway - they tend to block the road ahead. I'll check back in if/when I get something installed.
kwlane
Thanks for the link, I'm 6'2" and also don't use the visors. A shim would be easy to install.
ednosnaws
Does anyone know what the correct hang from the windshield frame is? I don't think mine hangs low enough....it was re positioned with a new windshield, and ls crappy anyway, and I'm thinking of buying this BMW mirror instead. When I view the cars behind, it seems like the mirror isn't hanging low enough, because I see the top of the rear window.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.