Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chasing the Dragon Hillclimb
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
I've been telling Nadine (wife) that we need to do some 'adventure' of sorts...something new. We did Targa Newfoundland for 4 years, visited Poland for cousin that was getting married, vacationed in Brazil, etc. but the last 4 years have been pretty 'normal' just doing some PCA events and watching Grand Am or ALMS races. Even our vacation was to Orlando to see the mouse. (thought we did go to Napa, but that's not really and 'adventure')

I had considered doing One Lap of America...still might one of these days...but timing was bad this year.

So Cory Friedman of Autometrics said I need to run the Chasing the Dragon Hillclimb. It's close to home, just a weekend, and a ton of fun...

I think I'm going to do it, and drive Huey. The organizer said he doesn't think a 914 has ever run - as it never did when we did Targa.

Here's info:

http://www.dragonhillclimb.com/

and a video of Cory's record breaking run (in a Porsche Cup car):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4-fx8acQAE

Looks fun doesn't it??
poorsche914
I vote "DO IT" aktion035.gif
naro914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Apr 23 2013, 06:39 PM) *

I vote "DO IT" aktion035.gif

no shock there!! beerchug.gif
bandjoey
25 turns with several big sweepers. How fast is he going in the video? Looks like. A blast. driving.gif
Sure looks like a lot of fun, Bob....
Go Get'um!!
Mike Bellis
Hell Yea! I want to go !!! driving.gif
Elliot Cannon
Looks fuchin' scary to me but that's because I'm old and have no driving talent. av-943.gif
KELTY360
The question is, why wouldn't you?

Huey needs to run free!
naro914
Well, looks like not only am I going to do it, but Nadine wants to run it too! driving-girl.gif

We just took Huey out for the Hurricane Regions Spring Tour up into Pipestem WVa. Nadine drove half of the tour (as she always does), and had so much fun (as she always does) that she decided SHE wants to race the hillclimb too!

She's excited and so am I! piratenanner.gif
carr914
Are you going to the June or August Hill Climb?

Looks like fun, it would be impossible for me to get my car done by June & I'd have to work like hell for August
naro914
June...
naro914
We may have to run Papa Smurf instead of Huey...Huey's engine is getting really tired and I'm not sure I want to stress it that much - may not make it. And since they'd be in the same class anyway (go figure), I know Papa would be MUCH faster than Huey up there....
r_towle
I would like to plant another idea in your mind.
Something I would offer to join/fund with you.

Baja 1000 in the stock beetle class.

Rich
naro914
Wow, didn't realize this thread hadn't updated this since May 14!

Hillclimb is this weekend, June 22-23 we are taking Papa Smurf (Huey may not be up to it). Both Nadine and I are competing.

Details at www.dragonhillclimb.com

If I can, I'll try to post pictures on our facebook page as we go, and on here when I can.
www.facebook.com/naroescapemotorsports.com

Wish us luck!!
Eric_Shea
thought we did go to Napa, but that's not really and 'adventure'

You never tried dining with McMark! ohmy.gif

Go for it. Have fun. Make videos.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 19 2013, 06:23 AM) *

thought we did go to Napa, but that's not really and 'adventure'

You never tried dining with McMark! ohmy.gif

Go for it. Have fun. Make videos.

agree.gif that big-brained boy knows every little dive in Napa and Sonoma and I've been fortunate enough to spend plenty of time with him eating at them. chowtime.gif

Back on topic. Go get em!!! piratenanner.gif
poorsche914
Bob... I am going to try to make it up there and take some pictures. Are you staying in Robbinsville?

driving.gif
naro914
Yep, staying at Phillips moyel
poorsche914
Saw Bob and Nadine today at the hillclimb. I don't think they will mind me posting a few shots I took of Papa Smurf biggrin.gif

Not sure how well they are doing as far as time. I thought times were being posted live on the CCR SCCA web site but I could not find them dry.gif

Nadine given the go-ahead to approach the start line.
Click to view attachment

Nadine ready to start her first run.
Click to view attachment

Bob roaring around the curve. Man, that flat six can sing w00t.gif
Click to view attachment

Bob headed back down the mountain.
Click to view attachment

Nadine rounds the curve.
Click to view attachment

Nadine headed back down the course.
Click to view attachment

Bob's final run of the day.
Click to view attachment

Papa Smurf headed up the hill... drooley.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxF4R68zonw
3d914
More video, please. Awesome fun.
poorsche914
Unfortunately, that is the only video I have. I thought about taking a video camera but forgot. Will definitely take one next time.

Bob may have in-car footage from his gopro. Give him a chance to get home and I am sure he will post something.

driving.gif
naro914
Hi all
Just got home..9:40 pm. Had a blast at the hill climb. I got first in class, Nadine 4th. I'll post video up when I get it off the gopro probably tomorrow... Right now, I'm very tired!
poorsche914
Congratulations, Bob. first.gif
naro914
OK, Here's a video
It's not my fastest time, but the sound in the video from my best time got all screwed up - odd really. Honestly, I forgot to record my first few runs, so I only have 3 on video...

This was my first run of Sunday morning. On this run, I experimented with shifting to 4th (stayed in 3rd all day Saturday). You can see I should have shifted back to 3rd a couple times, but I was so busy in the car I still wasn't really sure where and when yet. I had planned on trying different things throughout the day, but after Nadine's run, there was a strange rattling in the engine area that we couldn't pinpoint and decided to hang it up for the day so to not make the mystery noise get worse...we'd already had way too many engine issues lately!!

Still ended up with 1st in class by about 13 seconds, so I wasn't worried...just wanted a faster time!

You can see how bumpy the road is! It turns out we bottomed out a bunch of times onto the headers - on the lift today one of the pipes on the drivers side is worn flat!

This event is an absolute blast! They're running another one the beginning of August. If you can't run in it, come by and be a spectator. Really cool cars! (there was a McClaren Can Am car running!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IDGLlBFw8Y
poorsche914
Love the video, Bob. If I can make it to the August climb, I will definitely get a media pass so I can position myself along the course that offers better photo and video views smile.gif

Here is a shot of the McLaren
Click to view attachment

driving.gif
naro914
Video from Nadine's run at Dragon Hill Climb...needs more love to the Go Pedal! She did great! picked up 10 seconds from her best run Saturday to her first run Sunday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvIs4aioM9w
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.