Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So why is it
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
My project car just suprises me everyday. I pulled the stereo out last night and found the craziest wiring in the world. Nothing a pair of dikes couldn't take care of.

But as I pulled the homemade center console and center arm rest I found part of the tunnel missing between the seats. Just forward of the engine fire wall.

Also one of the tubes was cut through I think it is the Clutch tube.

Some kind of aftermarket clutch and accel cable housing made of plastic (sort of slick) Not sure how they are secured at each end yet. I think zip ties <_<

The clutch tube exiting the firewall is nearly missing so I will have to sharpen my welding skills again.
Root_Werks
You just gotta love that stuff huh? mad.gif I have run into plenty of PO bs.gif before. Wirring is the worst. Seems any Mickey Mouse can wire just about anything. slap.gif
Joe Ricard
This guy had good intentions. got a painless wiring kit. Never finished. Now I got wires pulled through the cabin bulkheads fore and aft but they are not terminated. I think I wll pull them back out and wrap the whole mess up and store it. I feel the need to completely re-do the car.

Go for complete SCCA Prepared rules. Look out Paul here I come 1500 lbs ain't nothing.

Keep the yellow car as my hot rod driver. Cause ya got to have a driver.
davep
Well, when you talk about P.O.'s, I find it applies to present owners as much as previous owners. Soon enough, the present becomes the previous.
I remember a guy asking my why his engine leaked so much oil. He kept filling it through the timing hole.
MattR
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 23 2004, 02:52 PM)
I remember a guy asking my why his engine leaked so much oil. He kept filling it through the timing hole.

chairfall.gif

I guess he didnt notice the oil filler said "OEL"? Maybe he didnt know german?
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 23 2004, 02:52 PM)

Can you imagine the mess that made? Oil gunk all over the inside of the fan, heads, cylinders. HE's

Hmm think I bought that car
MattR
I would MUCH rather work in oil then rat shit. I almost puked, between the engine degreaser, road grime, and rat droppings when I was cleaning up my engine. The worst part is when you unbolt the two halves of the fan shroud and there are tufts of hair sitting there... barf.gif .

I guess I should pressure wash my engine before I attempt to disassemble it?
tracks914
Why are all P.O.'s Knot heads?
Don't realy know but thats a good enough reason for me to keep my teener. That way I'll never fall into that catagory. headbang.gif
xsboost90
i dont know, my car wasnt too bad! there was an amp on the floor w/ wires running up to the dash, but not too bad other than that...oh and the dead mouse in the shift boot of the 924, that would explain the odd smell. rolleyes.gif Ive had alot of interesting previous owners cars though...
bryanthompson
Holy crap, I fond a dead mouse in the shift boot of my 944 awhile back! Gettin' that out of there made a pretty good difference in the shifting too. There's nothing I hate more than mouse nests. icon8.gif
BPGREER
There's nothing I hate more than mouse nests.  

I guess I'm pretty lucky the only thing I found from the PO was rodent poison pouches. Oh, and 1 penny from 1973 under the shift boot. Oh and some nut shells. Don't know how the heck they got in there. Since mine doesn't show any symptoms of a DAPO, I have to be extra careful not to try any funnystuff myself.
anthony
My previous owners were good guys. I've got a service history going back to day one. The last guy definitely deferred some maintenance on small stuff but he only drove the car 1,000 miles a year for the last four years. He did do some good stuff though like installing new Bilsteins, a new Bursch, a good CD player, a new oil cooler and having the pushrod tubes resealed. It's a relatively leak free car.
McMark
DAPO = CAPO (Cheap Ass)

Not everybody subscribes to the philosophy of, "If you can't do it right, don't do it."
MattR
QUOTE(BPGREER @ Nov 23 2004, 04:37 PM)
Oh, and 1 penny from 1973 under the shift boot.

Oh man, my PO musta had holes in his pockets. I found like 45 cents when I was gutting the interior. Watch out, Im going to start turning a profit on this car rolleyes.gif.
jd74914
Wirring is the worst

PO's mechanic messed with the brain box on my car. Dummy started sodiering wierd wires on it. wacko.gif

It seemed that the car didn't run because of this bs.gif , so I cut them off and resodiered on the old wiring. It runs like a champ now aktion035.gif

Now, if only her mechanic hadn't screwed with the transmission all would be well wacko.gif :finger2: headbang.gif ar15.gif I think the guy should have dranken less beer.gif and read more manuals
tracks914
QUOTE(MattR @ Nov 23 2004, 05:51 PM)

Oh man, my PO musta had holes in his pockets. I found like 45 cents when I was gutting the interior. Watch out, Im going to start turning a profit on this car rolleyes.gif.

I found almost $2 in change. Most of it American so when I found it that made it worth about $3 CAN. biggrin.gif
I also found a matchbook from the Candy Canyon Disco in Woodland Hills CA, Now I know it was a Californian Car beerchug.gif
hargray2
My car had some DAPO's. The wiring harness had the insulation skinned all over the place with taps soldered to 'em goin' to nothing. The shift linkage was insane. I wish I
had taken pictures, but it was a side shift tranny with all early linkage and some wishful
thinking, it shifted though. Custom fog light grilles made from some kind of wood veneer
crap. Too much to list.

If found only a few cents under the seats and a very plain looking ink pen that said
"US GOVERNMENT" on it. confused24.gif
mudfoot76
QUOTE(hargray2 @ Nov 24 2004, 12:38 AM)
The wiring harness had the insulation skinned all over the place with taps soldered to 'em goin' to nothing.

ohmy.gif

My car suffered from similar DAPO treatment...i was trying to debug some problems with my foglights. Discovered that the DAPO had just stripped insulation off the biggest wires running into the fuse panel and taped (yes, TAPED) other wire and had strung it all over the car for the aftermarket stereo system and aux wiper fluid switch. There were bird's nests of random wiring, some of it not connected anywhere, stuffed up into the dash. There was also alot of dry chem fire extinguisher residue on the inside/underside of the dash and inside the center console. blink.gif

Go figure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.