Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New steering wheel - 350mm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
If you are planning on using a steering quickner then keep your 13.75 or 14 inch steering wheel. I went down to a 12.25 inch and with the quickner it required more torque than the driver could manage in a 4.25 minute (65 corner) session at Medford.

I've found a 350mm (13.75") wheel with exactly the dish I want, so will be installing that shortly. The different size will require 12% more motion, but there will be less load which is my primary objective. Guessing the load will decrease 12%, but correct me if that is fuzzy math.

I do like the quickner for a bunch of reasons.

Here is a video from last Sunday at the UFO event. Tough little course to master in 4 runs. Ended up 4th overall after catching a cone on the last corner of my fastest run.

5 big time mistakes in the video run, but good to watch as you learn from your mistakes, some of which were just basic stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kLIDzBizEA

Yea, and could you believe that weather. The Marina afternoons are typically Alaska weather, but not on Sunday.

BTW Bill Charron won the event in his narrow bodied 914. flag.gif
SirAndy
Nice!

I need to get out more ...
dry.gif
Randal
Got my 350mm steering wheel today. It has 2.7" deep dish, which as compared to the smaller wheel I had, with no dish, added an inch. So now I have the wheel closer to me, which what was needed and it is EASY to turn. With the steering quickner and my new driving program (SMOOTH in all areas) this will be a good combination.

Click to view attachment
McMark
thumb3d.gif
ww914
QUOTE(Randal @ Apr 23 2013, 04:47 PM) *

If you are planning on using a steering quickner then keep your 13.75 or 14 inch steering wheel. I went down to a 12.25 inch and with the quickner it required more torque than the driver could manage in a 4.25 minute (65 corner) session at Medford.

I've found a 350mm (13.75") wheel with exactly the dish I want, so will be installing that shortly. The different size will require 12% more motion, but there will be less load which is my primary objective. Guessing the load will decrease 12%, but correct me if that is fuzzy math.

Here is a video from last Sunday at the UFO event. Tough little course to master in 4 runs. Ended up 4th overall after catching a cone on the last corner of my fastest run.

5 big time mistakes in the video run, but good to watch as you learn from your mistakes, some of which were just basic stuff.

Yea, and could you believe that weather. The Marina afternoons are typically Alaska weather, but not on Sunday.

BTW Bill Charron won the event in his narrow bodies 914. flag.gif

Nice run. Doesn't Bill win them all?
Randal
QUOTE(ww914 @ Apr 28 2013, 07:01 AM) *

Bill did a great job down at the Marina last Sunday after a ton of work to get his car sorted.

To be honest, my run was bad. Good thing is that the video helps you to figure out what you need to correct.
Borderline
QUOTE(ww914 @ Apr 28 2013, 06:01 AM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif No I don't!! I've been chasing Randal and a lot of other guys for years now! The 13" tire change is starting to work with the new tires. Last year I ran all used tires and couldn't run with them. Also, you have to remember, as JP says, it's a small pond. Most of us get beat pretty bad when we go up against SCCA National talent. sad.gif
J P Stein
Any time you can put a TTOD on over a hundred guy group, you're doing gud.
Being humble is gud but tain't nuthin' wrong with delivering the goods & taking the kudos. Keep fresh/good rubber on the car so's you can back it up. biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Both Bill and Randals cars are looking great lately! I really like watching contrasting driving styles of Bill and Randal. Randal is aggressive and isnt afraid to wag tail and find limits of his car regardless of style points. Bill is more like a professor in way he drives, very technical That last UFO event was made for Bill's technical style and narrow light car. I was amazed Randal was as fast as he was as the car was spending more time sliding sideways than going forward! If he had cleaned it up I think Bill would have been in trouble.

With all these latest refinements they both will make me work in my big fat Z now. ...Oh wait they already were making me work. blink.gif I have removed forced induction, drop from 478 WHP to 325 WHP, and now Im going with higher reving NA motor, 300 lbs less weight and 335 A6's. Weight distribution is improving and is close to 50/50 now. ....Whats next mod guys? You dont want to be beat by a big ugly rice rocket. Im going to be very interested to see how the Z fairs against Randals car in Ashland Hillclimb. We are fairly close in power to weight. I suspect the 914 has advantage being much lighter and having far lower center of gravity but the Z can be very surprising in how it scoots around corners.

Im going to have to get my act together if I expect to drive a 914 in 2014 Parade. I dont think I can pull it off unless i find a cheap track car. Wonder if Rob still trying to sell my old car?
Borderline
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 30 2013, 03:28 PM) *

Both Bill and Randals cars are looking great lately! I really like watching contrasting driving styles of Bill and Randal. Randal is aggressive and isnt afraid to wag tail and find limits of his car regardless of style points. Bill is more like a professor in way he drives, very technical That last UFO event was made for Bill's technical style and narrow light car. I was amazed Randal was as fast as he was as the car was spending more time sliding sideways than going forward! If he had cleaned it up I think Bill would have been in trouble.

With all these latest refinements they both will make me work in my big fat Z now. ...Oh wait they already were making me work. blink.gif I have removed forced induction, drop from 478 WHP to 325 WHP, and now Im going with higher reving NA motor, 300 lbs less weight and 335 A6's. Weight distribution is improving and is close to 50/50 now. ....Whats next mod guys? You dont want to be beat by a big ugly rice rocket. Im going to be very interested to see how the Z fairs against Randals car in Ashland Hillclimb. We are fairly close in power to weight. I suspect the 914 has advantage being much lighter and having far lower center of gravity but the Z can be very surprising in how it scoots around corners.

Im going to have to get my act together if I expect to drive a 914 in 2014 Parade. I dont think I can pull it off unless i find a cheap track car. Wonder if Rob still trying to sell my old car?

Yeah, I'm constantly amazed with Randal's Bonzai driving style, although he usually manages to pull out a clean fast run. I'm trying to loosen up my driving but am having a hard time getting there. There's the rule about old dogs and new tricks headbang.gif
koozy
I wanna get in there and get beat up by you guys. Randal, you coming out to an LPR event any time this year?
Randal
QUOTE(koozy @ May 5 2013, 01:22 AM) *

I wanna get in there and get beat up by you guys. Randal, you coming out to an LPR event any time this year?

I really like the LPR events/people Mike, but my tire budget dictates I run the 4 run events and hill climbs.

Saving money now for Parade. Got to show up with new tires, otherwise you big time racers won't have any competition.
koozy
I hear ya. I'm saving money for the same thing. If I had the ability I would think about Avons but having to change the entire setup and then learn the nuances of the new tire just isn't in the cards for me. I'll have to work on getting faster with the setup I have now. More weight reduction may be in my future though.

BTW: Ya don't have to run all 12 runs when going to an LPR event. You can stop at 4 and then hop in my car for a couple, if you were so inclined.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 30 2013, 04:28 PM) *

Good thing about Cascade Lakes is that you have Ashland as a landing place each night.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.