Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo Tie Rods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
Need to get turbo tie rods what do recommend? Also where would you buy them and what is the going rate?

Regards

James
Elliot Cannon
I've converted all my cars to turbo tie rods. I seem to recall there are some cheap knock-offs out there that aren't the best. Get the good ones, you won't be sorry. It's been a long time since I bought a set, so I can't tell you what I paid. I'm too lazy to look for the reciept.
Jerry75914
not to bash, but I bought the kit from AA that I thought was the high quality German parts...they weren't...boots split in no time at all.
mepstein
Pmbperformance.com has the right ones at the right price
TravisNeff
You want the Lemfeorders, the URO brad sucks. I am currently retrofitting Lemfeorder parts where the uro's failed (cracked boots on rack and on tie rod ends). Live and learn...
biosurfer1
I did a quick search but didn't find much info....what exactly are the symptoms of old/tired/dead tie rods? Is there a sure fire way to test the tie rods to see if they need to be replaced?
McMark
Jack up one side of the car and grab the front wheel at 3 & 9 and shake left to right. If you can manage, keep an eye on the steering wheel. The more movement in the wheel, the more dead the tie rod.

Also, a bit of wander while driving or a 'numb' feeling between the steering wheel and the movement of the car, but this can also be caused by alignment, so it's not a sure thing.

The more in depth way to check is to pop the outer joint from the steering arm and move the ball in the socket. It should take some force. If it moves around easily, it's worn out. (as described in the factory manuals)
jesiv
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 24 2013, 02:16 PM) *

Jack up one side of the car and grab the front wheel at 3 & 9 and shake left to right. If you can manage, keep an eye on the steering wheel. The more movement in the wheel, the more dead the tie rod.

Also, a bit of wander while driving or a 'numb' feeling between the steering wheel and the movement of the car, but this can also be caused by alignment, so it's not a sure thing.

The more in depth way to check is to pop the outer joint from the steering arm and move the ball in the socket. It should take some force. If it moves around easily, it's worn out. (as described in the factory manuals)

I had the suspension inspected by Custom Alignment who do my Boxster. They said the existing tie rods were worn and turbo tie rods would complement my planned suspension upgrade. I am adding a sway bar and shocks. The ball joint and rear trailing arms were in great shape!

Just looking for best manufacturer and place to buy the turbo tie rods.

Regards

James
McMark
PMBPerformace, as mentioned. I even looked up a direct link for you.
dirk9141973
chair.gif Don't buy the off brand ones on ebay CRAP boots rip before you can get installed
euro911
I got Lemforder tie rods with ends, boot kits and spacers (had to order separately) from Arizona Autohaus. I didn't know Eric carried them sad.gif
rfuerst911sc
Do not buy any brand other than Lemfoerder they are the only quality built out there. You can buy from PMB , GPR or Pelican they all have them. Made quite a difference in the feel of my front end but I did a complete makeover so it was everything that made the difference. One tip on mine I tried to reuse the springs that hold on the bellows, after struggling with those damn things for 30 minutes I grabbed some black zip ties and was done biggrin.gif .
Spoke
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Apr 26 2013, 05:44 AM) *

Do not buy any brand other than Lemfoerder they are the only quality built out there. You can buy from PMB

agree.gif

Do the job once and be done. Don't settle for cheap imitations. Not worth your time to save a few dollars.
jesiv
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 26 2013, 04:14 AM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Apr 26 2013, 05:44 AM) *

Do not buy any brand other than Lemfoerder they are the only quality built out there. You can buy from PMB

agree.gif

Do the job once and be done. Don't settle for cheap imitations. Not worth your time to save a few dollars.

Totally agree
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.