Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cylinder head baffles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PDXMike
I am missing one of my cylinder head baffles. How big of a problem is this? I assume it effects airflow, but can I get by without it?

It looks like I would need to remove the pushrod tubes to get this in place. Is that right? Can I do this without dropping the engine?

Thanks,

Mike
Mark Henry
Very important! It's what directs air over the bottoms of the cylinders.

Yes you can do this in the car.
You will need 4 inner and 4 outer pushrod seals, remove the rockers, pushrods and tubes and you should be able to get the deflector in. You may be able to sneak it past the exhaust. Put it all back together and set your valves.
reharvey
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 24 2013, 01:06 AM) *

Very important! It's what directs air over the bottoms of the cylinders.

Yes you can do this in the car.
You will need 4 inner and 4 outer pushrod seals, remove the rockers pushrods and tubes and you should be able to get the deflector in. You may be able to sneak it past the exhaust. Put it all back together and set your valves.

agree.gif These are easy to find so pick one up and install it. Ray
Millerwelds
Just remember to note the location of each rocker and push rod so you can put everything back in the same exact location you pulled it from.
nathansnathan
You need the special weird sized screw also. It is like a 5mm x 1.0?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 24 2013, 01:08 PM) *

That you can get at Home Depot. smile.gif
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 24 2013, 02:13 PM) *

I was guessing on the size but it is in fact a m5x1.0. I highly doubt Home Depot, maybe a decent hardware store. The factory screws are self-tapping also.
PDXMike
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 24 2013, 02:30 PM) *

I was guessing on the size but it is in fact a m5x1.0. I highly doubt Home Depot, maybe a decent hardware store. The factory screws are self-tapping also.

Seriously? M5x1.0 thread cutting screws? That's just evil. Some Porsche engineer is still chuckling over that one.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like I'll be doing a little bit of shopping. Better to know now while the engine is out. Much easier job that way I guess.

Mike
JRust
I'm sure I have the baffle/tin you need. I'm going to be in Aloha tomorrow. I can throw it in the car if you want to swing by. I'll be at the Peppermill Bar & Grill installing equipment. Not sure I will have the screw you need confused24.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 24 2013, 05:30 PM) *

In Canada I'm 100% for sure that you can get 5mm bolt at home depot, but it's a bit long and you have to cut it down a little.

nathansnathan
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 24 2013, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Apr 24 2013, 05:30 PM) *

In Canada I'm 100% for sure that you can get 5mm bolt at home depot, but it's a bit long and you have to cut it down a little.

Canadian hardware store, well yeah. biggrin.gif

You would think Home Depot would have a metric bolt here in the states, but it is not likely. Pretty much guarantee you would have no luck finding a cheese head anything at any hardware store here. 25% chance of finding a 5x1.0 hex bolt at home depot- probably have one at ace or true value around here. The bus fiche calls it an "AM5x1 0" - I am not sure what the "A" is. It doesn't give a length. smoke.gif
PDXMike
Jamie,

I put the rest of the tin on tonight. It looks like I'm missing one baffle and one "air duct floor". The problem is I don't know which side I have and which side I need. I'll send you a PM about meeting up tomorrow. I'm attaching pics of what I have here because I can't figure out how to attach the files to a PM.

Thanks!

Mike

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
PDXMike

I'll find the screws somewhere. I'm just glad you pointed out the odd thread. I likely would have tried to jam a standard M5x0.8 in there and gummed up the whole thing.
JRust
Hey Mike sorry man but I don't have that tin handy. I forgot I sold the pair I was thinking of. Was out digging through my stash & came up empty. Did you try Craig at camp 914? He might have it
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.