Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: longitudinal crack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
Can I assume this crack means I need to consider one of maddog's inner long stiffening kits?

Click to view attachment

For starters I'm going to drill the ends to stop it from cracking more and weld it up.
TravisNeff
that's a common crack along the e-brake recess. I drilled the ends of the cracks and welded them up. that should be all you need to do

yeahmag
I'm running some pretty high spring rates:

21mm torsion bars
225 lbs rear springs

...and will probably go higher, but won't race much this year. I'll weld them up and keep maddogs website url handy...
TravisNeff
I am running 22's and 250's, & I did do the engman kit at the same time. I found the crack when I was going to install the kit
McMark
Yup. Pretty much standard on all the cars. agree.gif
yeahmag
Mark,

What's your opinion on jumping in to the long stiffening kit? I'm tossing the idea of a cage around, but that could be years away still.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 24 2013, 04:21 PM) *

Yup. Pretty much standard on all the cars. agree.gif

Not quite true.
This crack only occurs on cars with the later handbrake.
Early cars with the articulated handbrake have a different shaped inner long which doesn't crack.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 24 2013, 03:05 PM) *
This crack only occurs on cars with the later handbrake.
Early cars with the articulated handbrake have a different shaped inner long which doesn't crack.

agree.gif

Early cars rarely crack there, the only time i have seen this on an early car was a no cage and no long kit car that was run hard at AX on sticky slicks.

welder.gif
McMark
Yeah, I forgot the early cars. headbang.gif

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 24 2013, 02:22 PM) *

Mark,

What's your opinion on jumping in to the long stiffening kit? I'm tossing the idea of a cage around, but that could be years away still.

If you're gonna get a cage, the long kit will become unnecessary weight.

Decide and go one route. You might ask nicely at an event to try sitting in and getting in and out of cars with a full cage. This may sway your decision.
yeahmag
Prepping for welding.
Click to view attachment
yeahmag
Welded!
Click to view attachment
cary
The one I'm installing had the same crack in the same spot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.