Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New owner with a transmission question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mramber
Hello 914 world,

I have loved these cars since the early 70's when I was a kid and I always knew one day I would own one. Two weeks ago I bought a 73 1.7, I have to wait another week and a half to get it home but I am curious about the transmission. The car has a 4 speed transmission and everything I read about the 914 says they only came with a 5 speed. Would this have been a swap from a 911? Or, were there some 914's with 4 speeds?

I would like to add engine, VIN, and transmission numbers to help with this question but I won't have the car until May 4th.

Thanks all! I'm excited to finally own the car of my dreams! piratenanner.gif
Mike Bellis
Most likely you have a 5 speed in need of a linkage adjustment.
mramber
I thought about that but this thing has reverse on the left up, then 1 next to reverse over and up, 2 down, 3 right and up, 4 down. When I drove it, I couldn't have been starting in 2nd gear could I?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(mramber @ Apr 24 2013, 05:54 PM) *

I thought about that but this thing has reverse on the left up, then 1 next to reverse over and up, 2 down, 3 right and up, 4 down. When I drove it, I couldn't have been starting in 2nd gear could I?

1st gear is left and down, under reverse. You might be starting in second gear.
ThePaintedMan
welcome.png

A common mistake, especially if the shift knob didn't have markings. As Mike said previously its over to the left and down smile.gif Can't wait to see pics!
mepstein
QUOTE(mramber @ Apr 24 2013, 08:54 PM) *

Yes

1st is left and down. It's in there unless your trans is really broken.
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
mramber
Thanks all, once I have the car I will check the linkage and trans out. I knew that 1rst was left and down, but the current owner says it is a 4 speed so he must be starting in 2nd. As a result I did the same when I drove it, I didn't even try to go left and down. Can't wait to get the car so I can solve this mystery (and go for a nice drive!)
Dr Evil
While it is definitely possible to convert the gear box to 4 speed, it would take money, effort, and necessity. It would largely be a step backwards so, like the others, I doubt it. Cant wait to hear what you find.
mramber
Mystery solved, the car is home and I found first gear to the left and down just where it had been hiding. The prior owner had been starting in 2nd for the past 15 years.

This car is a blast to drive!

Click to view attachment
abnrdo
welcome.png

Nice! May I ask where you purchased that car from? I think I have seen it before.
Dr Evil
Starting in 2nd for 15yrs??? That either means your 1st is probably in great shape (SCORE!) or it failed and they stopped using it. I hope it is the former. smile.gif
mramber
QUOTE(abnrdo @ Apr 27 2013, 09:13 PM) *

welcome.png

Nice! May I ask where you purchased that car from? I think I have seen it before.

I'm in Minneapolis, I bought it from a guy that had it stored up by Fargo.

I need to put some sunscreen in the car. All day driving around and now my face is sunburned!
billh1963
Nice looking car! Congratulations!

I use U-Haul trailers all the time to haul 914's. Why is the car not at the front of he trailer...which allows you to use the ratcheting straps? Just curious....
Drums66
.....If all ihe things said are true; you might need a clutch
soon? idea.gif
....WELCOME... bye1.gif flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.