Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Webcam mechanical lifters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
Well, if yo paid any attention, I am not on the road. My wife had a fly in to meet me in abq, and I still don.t have the 2056 tuned. It is in though with cht and af gauges too.

After starting, two banks of valves suddenly became loose by several mm. I fixed that and it happened wit one other valve. The only thing I can think of is that I did not seat the push rods right. I saw a circlip but thought a firm push and valve spring force should have put them in place. They were centered.

Can anyone shed light on this. Granted i did something wrong, though Lord knows I turned the crank over enough by hand...

P.s. my hat is off to all of you who do this as a living. It is tedious and cautious work in every way.
McMark
The only thing that makes sense is that they weren't sitting in the cups completely. I use a flashlight and look down the tubes on every pushrod on every engine. The circlip has nothing to do with it. It just keeps the pieces of the lifter in place. The new 'solid' lifters are just a hydraulic lifter with the pieces locked in place. Saves on manufacturing two different kinds of lifters.
Dave_Darling
A couple of the pushrods on my motor seem to really want to hang up on the edge of the lifter instead of going down into the cup. I wind up putting an L-shaped Allen wrench down the pushrod tube, and using the bottom of the L as a fulcrum. Push down on the outer end of the pushrod, and the inner end goes up. Push the rod inward, and it will (if you're doing it right) go into the cup. Then hold the end of the pushrod while getting the rocker arm over it to keep it there.

Yes, that is one of the jobs that I wish I had three or four hands to do. At least, when the engine is still in the car!

--DD
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 24 2013, 10:21 PM) *

A couple of the pushrods on my motor seem to really want to hang up on the edge of the lifter instead of going down into the cup. I wind up putting an L-shaped Allen wrench down the pushrod tube, and using the bottom of the L as a fulcrum. Push down on the outer end of the pushrod, and the inner end goes up. Push the rod inward, and it will (if you're doing it right) go into the cup. Then hold the end of the pushrod while getting the rocker arm over it to keep it there.

Yes, that is one of the jobs that I wish I had three or four hands to do. At least, when the engine is still in the car!

--DD

Thank you both. I figured out about the flashlight trick while putting in the push rods because I missed with one. Asfaik they were all lined up, but obviously not in right. The thing is I am used to systems where this is pretty much impossible, since in a vertically alighed old style lifter the push rods pretty much install themselves. Would have been nice to have something in the "instructions". But then I should already know I suppose. The engine swap took five days with the drop and lift less than two hours each. Transfer and c,leaning and paint and so many little things. Oh damn, I have auto correct on. bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.