Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It was 40 years ago today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gandalf_025
April 25th 1973.. The day my dad and I walked into the local Porsche Dealer and he signed the paperwork for me to buy a traded in 914-6 #619

I was 18 at the time and it was a lot of money.. I had been working on the deal for a number of months and it finally came together the 25th..

Seems like a lifetime ago.... and I guess it was..

maybe I'll get it back together before I'm too old to drive it ???

I'm sure I posted this picture before...

Click to view attachment
Congrats!
doug_b_928
Wow, that's cool. You should add some pics of you and the car from over the years.

QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Apr 25 2013, 07:36 AM) *

April 25th 1973.. The day my dad and I walked into the local Porsche Dealer and he signed the paperwork for me to buy a traded in 914-6 #619

I was 18 at the time and it was a lot of money.. I had been working on the deal for a number of months and it finally came together the 25th..

Click to view attachment

ThePaintedMan
Very jealous. That's a great story. I wish I had made such a prudent purchase when I was 18!
JStroud
Very Cool!!! It's awesome you've been able to keep it all these years.
Love to see some pics.

Jeff
bulitt
That was alot of money. New corolla was 2700$, Fiat 850 Spyder 2200$, Spitfire 3000$, VW Bug 1999$
gms
Congrats on 40 years, lets see some pictures of the car!
Doug,
You were just like me.. Saved up and when in high school bought a 1971 914/4
Ive owned it for over 35 years,and still have it..Ive owned many cars but the
914 is part of my life.Six years ago I was very lucky to find and buy a 1970
914/6.Both are Canary Yellow.I see you traded in a 1968 LTD..Hope you get
the Six running..Any pictures of it? Doesn't time fly really fast..
JawjaPorsche
Wow! A 6 at that price! My first new car was a 73 too. I traded in a VW Fastback for it. Same engine sorta! My Fastback had some body damage so my trade-in was only $350. My invoice looks like your too. The dealer is long gone. A LA Fitness is on the site now. Mine came with optional sway bars for which I am very thankful. My exwife was bank manager so we got a good interest rate. I think the payments were around $125 a month. I got there the day after they got a large shipment from the docks. Lots of colors and options. I narrowed down my color choices to Bahia Red, Signal Orange, and Zambezi Green. Because I was a UGA grad and our colors were Red and Black, I chose Bahia Red.
wndsnd
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Apr 25 2013, 08:36 AM) *

Click to view attachment

So very cool Al!

clap56.gif clap56.gif
gandalf_025
Most of my pictures back then were slides. I still have to get around to digitizing them..
Here are a few I do have.. pretty bad quality though.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

here is the Inspection Sticker that is still on the windshield

Click to view attachment

pretty much as it is now.

Click to view attachment

gandalf_025
The Dealer I bought it from had a VW Dealership nearby also. Early on, I was getting attitude from the Porsche Service Dept because I was a kid.
I went to the dealership owner, who was a friend of my dad and complained about it.
He had me bring the car to the VW Dealership and had one of the Porsche Techs brought there to work on the car.
Here is a receipt from there. Check out the Prices...

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
Getting an oil change by itself at that price from a dealer these days is a bargain. Let alone any other work. FourBlades took both of our cars into the dealer and apparently they were pretty confused about everything and were honest when they said, "we don't really have anyone who works on these things."
914Bryan
HAHA! I took mine to a German auto repair shop in Dana Point for a valve adjustment. The guy said no one there wanted to work on it and sent me away. Bewildered that there were several busses and Things there, I just couldn't believe it.. Kinda pissed me off, but then again, maybe thats not the place to spend my money at..
r3dplanet
I looked up your total on a historical currency exchange. In today's money, the total would be $31,373.08.

-m.
flippa
I would spend $31K for a 2 year old 914-6.
gandalf_025
I did meet the "original owner" of this car once when I brought it in for an oil change.
He was a big guy, as in heavy set and had a hard time getting in and out of a 914. He traded it because of that and the fact it was coming off of warranty soon. He bought a 911 and I was told he fit in it better..

I got the impression he didn't know how a screw driver worked, so there was little to no chance he ever touched the car himself.. That means I am my own "DAPO"
I can't really blame him for anything...
It is all my fault..... How sad is that ??
Chris H.
Awesome story. So may of us wish we had our first "cool car" back. Good for you for keeping it.
Kaduku
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Apr 25 2013, 07:33 AM) *

Most of my pictures back then were slides. I still have to get around to digitizing them..
Here are a few I do have.. pretty bad quality though.

Click to view attachment

Yes, awesome story!

But what I would like to see is a current picture of you and your car together.

SKL1
Great story- have a similiar one from the fall of 1970. My dad wouldn't let me have a car until I was done with college as he knew I would never had made the grades to get into med school if I had one. So he made it worth waiting- ordered a 914-4 in the fall with appearance group, houndstooth cloth seat inserts, etc.
Still have the car, still in great shape, and will never leave the family. Both my boys inherited the "car" gene from their dad and grandfather...
I'm currently restoring a '73 2.0 that I've know since it was a year old so I'll have two of them so the boys won't have to fight over one!

Your first car is special- even more fun to still have it!!
Click to view attachment
Slink

Great stories of 914's from owners of cars they still have from the 70's.
What is also amazing is that the ink is still legible on the receipts. I still
have receipts from that time period but the ink has faded.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.