Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru WRX conversion for my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WRX914
Hello,

I have recently purchased a 1973 Porsche 914 roller chassis. I found and purchased a 2004 Subaru WRX engine with the stock ECU. The engine and ECU did not come with the wiring harness that connects the two. My question to all of you gurus is this... What do I have to do to make this work? I have heard I am embarking on a nightmare, but I figured someone here should be able to help. Please let me know any tricks of the trade to help me install this motor and kick the butts of all the folks here in Vegas.

Thanks for your help folks!

Keith Wilson
d914
pain in the ass way get a engine harness and eliminate what's not needed. Cheap

Expensive buy an adapted engine harness from one of the subaru sites, $500 est...

also checkout outbackmotors.com some neat add ons. also might help with the harness.

You might also go aftermarket computer, more hps!!! with harness $1500...
scotty914
go join the yahoo suby vanagon page, dont post saying it for a non vanagon. its got lots of posts about the suby vw conversions. including what to do for/with the harness

and pm me i am in the middle of a 2.5 suby swap

good luck
neo914-6
Keith,
Hmmm, Mike told me he ordered an STI motor for a 914 conversion a few weeks ago during the SEMA. You are located in the same building. Is this the same conversion or are you both collaborating?
Check this Non-Porsche conversion list for people with Suby conversions and do a search on their progress or PM them directly.
Congratulations! smilie_pokal.gif I will add you to the list.
Felix
airsix
Sorry, don't know the name of the outfit, but there is a buggy shop out there somewhere doing scooby engines in sandrails and they make/sell a harness. A search should turn them up if the other leads don't work out.

-Ben M.
neo914-6
Keith,
Do you have the 2.0 or 2.5 Turbo?
Felix
WRX914
WOW!

Thank you for all of your responses. All your replies have been very helpful, and I hope to make a few friends from this project.

Answers to your questions:

Felix, yes and no. Yes, we are collaborating on this project. No, we did not get STI, the guy with the engine did not show up during SEMA, so I had to get another. I searched Ebay for weeks and finally found a little gem of a engine from a Guy in Gardena California named Daniel, he sold me a 2004 WRX with less than 4,000 miles... $1,500 + 250 shipping! What a deal. I had to buy a 2004 ECU for $195, and now I need a wiring harness. Hopefully we will have it running in two weeks.

Thanks and please keep the comments rollin.

Thanks Again,

Keith Wilson

biggrin.gif
GTeener
You didn't buy it from the last Infineon Track Day crashed WRX did you?
WRX914
god, I hope not!!!
mightyohm
The crashed WRX is 2003 or older.
GTeener
Get a hold of Jon Watts (club member).

I think he is doing a Subaru to 914 engine transplant.
airsix
Watts up with him anyway? No posts for ever. Jon??? Hello....... confused24.gif

-Ben M. (Watt's long lost twin)
Mueller
QUOTE(audioculture @ Nov 24 2004, 01:14 PM)
god, I hope not!!!

oh yea, I'm sure they got your new motor out of a perfect never wrecked or molested car smile.gif

that price seem too cheap, but hell, take it and run......
WRX914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 24 2004, 02:48 PM)
QUOTE(audioculture @ Nov 24 2004, 01:14 PM)
god, I hope not!!!

oh yea, I'm sure they got your new motor out of a perfect never wrecked or molested car smile.gif

that price seem too cheap, but hell, take it and run......

Actually, from everything I have heard, the guy who I bought it from sells only good working order engines...

We will see!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.