Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
1975 2.0

Air filter has this funky looking cardboard piece blocking some hole (see photo).

IDK, it just doesn't look right. I'm assuming it has something to do with polution control or something that some PO may have plugged?

What is supposed to attach where those two screws are? Surely not a piece of cardboard or it just would be sealed up.

As well, my bracket for the air filter is broken - or so it appears. I've tried to source the part, but it looks to me like there were many options for air filter setups depending on year and engine size, carb or FI, etc. So I'm not having much luck figuring it out. Seems that the bracket attaches to the intake tubes on the left side with a sort of clamp. One end rests on the forward engine tin, the other end of the bracket (towards the rear of the engine) is broken off.I think I have enough bracket to make it work.

There doesn't seem to be anything though that holds the large filter body onto the air throttle. It just sits there sort of?

The rubber part on the throttle assm, just seats into the bottom of the air filter. It can easily be pulled off. The clamp holds that rubber part on the throttle body, but I think a good bump in the road would easily dislodge the air filter body from that rubber part.

Is that rubber piece supposed to be attached (glued) to the filter body neck???

Thanks,

Len

Click to view attachment
SLITS
That hole was for the EGR return line. It's not a problem blocked off unless you have the entire smog system on your engine.

If you get a '73 - '74 2.0L air cleaner, it won't have it.
Dave_Darling
I believe that some of the 2.0 cars that never had EGR also had that type of air cleaner. The port was blocked with a plate, pretty much as shown in your picture.

The rubber part is supposed to be pinched in between two metal rings sticking down from the outlet of the air cleaner. It's just a friction fit--a tight one, especially when new. I had one come out like that (I forgot to loosen the clamp that holds it to the throttle body, DOH!) and was not able to push it back into the gap between the metal rings. I just replaced it with another air cleaner I had bought at a swap meed...

That said, as long as it's not leaking air it should be fine.

--DD
914Sixer
75 & 76 2.0 had this plate on them so the could be used in Kalifornia. There was an air injection hose (metal line) to somewhere. I remember seeing the info in the dealer information guide.
76-914
That would run to the Cat Converter if it was a CA car. My 75-76 was sold in WA originally and had that block off plate. I also removed the smog pump and blocked off the nipples in the head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.