Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suspension torque specs...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cha914
title pretty much says it all... I am torquing everything back on, and although I usually just torque it till it breaks, I thought I would try and find some real numbers before I go ahead and break stuff.

Thanks,

Tony
ChrisReale
The Haynes manual has some numbers listed on the first page of each chapter. Only number I recall off the top of my head is 38 lbs for the rear top shock mounts. If you dont have that book, Ill be happy to relay the info to you, but let me know if you want me to do that, because I am lazy. tongue.gif
cha914
I have the haynes manual...but wasn't able to find many specs...but maybe i wasn't looking in the right places...

Would still appreciate other sources though...

Thanks again,

Tony
J P Stein
The specs are there in the suspension sections.
Following their nomenclature is a bit of a challenge, tho.
Dave_Darling
The sad part: The specs in the Haynes manual are all there is!! For everything else, you're supposed to know "M6 fastener into steel is XXX lb-ft, M8 into aluminum is YYY lb-ft"... Either that, or guess. rolleyes.gif

Yipes! blink.gif

--DD
ChrisReale
Guessing can also be dangerous, at least in my case. I had to re-thread the top of one of my new Koni Sports because I torqued it on WAY to hard. All it took was a die job, but still, I was ready to give myself the :gilloutine:
cha914
so what did you end up torquing your koni sports down to?

knowing myself, that is exactly what I will do...I am always stripping threads and breaking bolts...tighter is better right? tongue.gif

anyway, that is what Iam trying to avoid...

Tony
ChrisReale
I made the mistake of not checking my tools before I started using them, (in this case, the torque wrench) and torqued one side down to like 120 lbs!! Should have been between 36 and 43 lbs!!! pain30.gif
Brad Roberts
Ok. I received the new torsion bars for "the class car" today and noticed they have a handy torque spec "white paper". I will post these here and make sure they make it into the final website design for the club.

Thanks for bringing this up.

B
Mueller
Chris,

That reminds me of what on of my buddies did to his tranny

he was supposed to tighten to 25 IN LBS and not 25 FT LBS....cracked the case on his '65 Mustang
cha914
bump..

Brad you got that white paper handy? I am finishing up tomorrow... otherwise I will just break shit as usual tongue.gif

Thanks,

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.