Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Market/Uses for Bus Engines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
Probably within the next month I will finally be finally pulling my /4 engine to start the /6 conversion process. I have a 1976/77 2000cc bus motor that puts out a whopping 67 hp. Supposedly it has 914 heads on it - but I have not verified that. I also believe it is in not in good shape - it runs but probably needs a major overhaul.

Is there any market that I can possibly sell this engine to? Can it be used as a core for bigger engines? Or am I stuck with a deadweight?
SirAndy
Coffee table? idea.gif
bandjoey
Christmas Tree Stand
wreath.gif
Elliot Cannon
Boat anchor. Have we been helpful? lol-2.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The biggest issues with Bus engines are heat and load related. They're more apt to need align boring, and the spigots are more often in need of decking. If it's a '77, it will have hydraulic lifters and camshaft. Any of that stuff decreases the core value of the unit.

The Cap'n
GeorgeRud
Put it on the Samba, it may be worth something to someone.
Drums66
Build something special at your leisure idea.gif (keep it)
Validate the 2.0 heads

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif bye1.gif
helowrench
Crank rods heads
Case, if it checks out within spec.
patssle
All that I figured - not worth much. I will definitely check the heads. It does have dual Webers and the Euro Headers - maybe they'll get me a little for it at least if it doesn't sell whole.

Thanks!
JamesM
I dont see what everyone is boobing about. 2L crank and rods are still 2L crank and rods be they bus or 914. If you have 3 bolt 914 heads on it thats a big plus as well, and i dont know why someone would have swapped to 914 heads and still left the bus pistons, so if that is the case then you basically have a 914 2.0 built on a bus case.

Take the crank, rods, cylinders, and heads(if they are 914) from what you have + find a core 1.7 that people practically give away + some 96mm pistons and you have the makings of a nice 2056. Then sell the bus case on the samba (last one I had went real quick there) and your 94mm pistons too depending on what they are
DBCooper
Yeah, what he said. The 2.0 crank and rods are the same as 914's, and if you have three stud 914 heads you won the prize and someone here will want those. You won't have any problem selling it to bus people. It's a core so not worth much, but not much less than a 914 core.
scotty b
sand rails
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 25 2013, 07:44 PM) *

All that I figured - not worth much. I will definitely check the heads. It does have dual Webers and the Euro Headers - maybe they'll get me a little for it at least if it doesn't sell whole.

Thanks!

What are "Euro headers"?

The Cap'n
JamesM
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 25 2013, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 25 2013, 07:44 PM) *

Thanks!

What are "Euro headers"?

The Cap'n

"European Racing" brand maybe? 4-1 setup with stub pipes. I have them on my autox car. Probably worth a few hundred used in decent shape.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.