Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump stopped. Options...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
revhi109
My car has been sitting for a while. Went to go put new gas in it and crank it over and the pump isn't priming or working at all for that matter. I disconnected it and tried applying power to it directly. Nothing. It has the 3 hoses coming off of it. Can I rebuild it? Should I get a universal pump and relocate to the front? Should I get a used one that works? Suggestions please.

Thanks
type47
First of all, do you still have FI? Your description of "3 ports" leads me to think so. I don't think there is a universal pump but you can investigate this.... Here is a recent thread about FP's:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=fuel+pump

I had a no start condition recently which gave me recent info to post in the thread; don't think necessarily that it's the FP; I'm glad I didn't switch out my FP with the no start condition as it turned out not to be it! All that mess and it still wouldn't have worked ... Look at that pic of the relay board where I jumped terminals on the FP relay, try that to see or at least try to hotwire the FP to rule out a bad FP ...

edit: whoops, I see you tried to hotwire it .... so some of the above stuff no longer applies ...
Jeffs9146
Even if you can get it going again (not rebuild) I would replace it with a one in one out pump up front!
pt_700
since you've already established it won't work outside of the car by jumping it, i'd look around here for a used one. perhaps establish current to the existing wires before pulling that trigger.

i've heard of people taking them apart and cleaning but, i'd wager your time's worth more than the trouble.

you might try pushing some fluid through backwards just for yuks.
Drums66
...High time to relocate the pump idea.gif (up front)
bye1.gif driving.gif
McMark
They get sticky. You can pull it out and let some PBBlaster or other penetrant soak in it (spray in the hose connections). You can also try connecting the wires backwards. It won't hurt anything, just make the pump run backwards. You can also try quickly tapping the wires to turn the pump on and off quickly which can 'vibrate' the internal parts and may make it start going.

I've done this with a lot of pumps, but be aware that a fair number of pumps that get stuck are wearing out and may leave you stranded in the future. If it starts working I'd put a new/rebuilt pump on your list of things to do soon. Or at least make sure you have AAA. wink.gif
revhi109
I will try to free it up this week by tapping on it or reversing the wires. I am curious about a 2 port pump to either put up front or leave it in back. Will the plastic lines hold up to positive pressure? Or would I have to go stainless? What are the specs on the pump? Can I run a 3 bar , 135 LPM. How much does the flow rate matter?
revhi109
Does anyone know the specs on one of these pumps? Pressure and Flow rate..
type47
QUOTE(revhi109 @ Apr 29 2013, 11:45 AM) *

Will the plastic lines hold up to positive pressure?

If you're moving the pump to the front, I'm gonna recommend going stainless because I don't think you should trust 40 year old plastic lines with fuel pressure. Now if you leave the pump in back, the lines will be subjected to suction rather than pressure when the pump is in front. If you can swing it, I'd replace the plastic lines either way but definately if moving the pump to the front.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.