Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil starvation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomR
I've got a '73 914-4. It has a 2.4L 4 cylinder. 150-160hp & 170 ft lbs of torque. I'm running Yokohama Advan Neova 205x15 tires. At track events oil pressure drops precipitously on sharp turns. I have an accusump which helps a lot, but was wondering if there are any deep sump baffled oil pans to prevent oil starvation. Any help would be great
Thx, Tom
McMark
Most autocrossers end up with the 'tuna can' sump extension, and usually run 1/2q over the full line to battle oil starvation.

Beware that the steel deep sump has been known to have sub-par welding and can have pinholes that leak right out of the box. I've heard of it and I've had one that did it that I rewelded all the way around.
messix
there is no real "oilpan" on the t4.

there is a thing called "the tuna can" that does drop the oil pick up and screen sump a few inches but you don't get much in added oil capacity and it lowers you ground clearance under the engine.
McMark
Troy, the tuna can isn't lower than the engine bar though.
Jerry75914
I believe it was my tuna can that Mark is referencing. It has been perfecto after Mark re-welded it, and best of all, no more green light of impending engine death! I used to hit it contantly after I got my 2270, thankfully, I only see it at start up now. I highly recomment putting one in!
ThePaintedMan
Or contact Jonesy here. He is in the U.K. and makes a stellar unit, similar to the Tuna Can but better. Can't help but wonder if this was one of the rare headbang.gif things that VW/Porsche didn't think of. You build a sportscar that relies on oil pressure and handles like a go-kart, why didn't you think about keeping a "reserve" of oil for those crazy corners? biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 26 2013, 11:45 PM) *

Or contact Jonesy here. He is in the U.K. and makes a stellar unit, similar to the Tuna Can but better. Can't help but wonder if this was one of the rare headbang.gif things that VW/Porsche didn't think of. You build a sportscar that relies on oil pressure and handles like a go-kart, why didn't you think about keeping a "reserve" of oil for those crazy corners? biggrin.gif

They did.... it's called a /6 biggrin.gif
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 27 2013, 09:02 AM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Apr 26 2013, 11:45 PM) *

They did.... it's called a /6 biggrin.gif

Touche Mark, Touche. smile.gif
SLITS
On the race cars (not Porsche) we had deep sumps, baffles, windage trays, crank scrapers ..... still saw 0 in the corners and lost engines.

The thing that saved the motors was the accumulator we had installed. It held about 2 quarts. It wasn't a name brand ... it was a 3000 psig rated hydraulic accumulator out of a 707.

Other solution is a dry sump system .....
yeahmag
My car is a testament to that. I think if you are in street tires a tuna can is fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.