Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ok engine wont turn over, what gives?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
Ok, put new engine from Twisted (thank you) in earlier, went to turn the motor over to build oil pressure and starter doesnt make a peep. Ground strap is good and tight, and there is power to the starter, and the yellow (well now orange after 30 years)wire is plugged into the starter. I turn the key....no go...so I go underneath and I connect the poles with a screwdriver and the starter turns, but does not pop out and touch the flywheel. It just spins....I even pulled it out, grounded it, and watched it not pop out to make sure it was bad...So I go buy a new starter at Kragen....put it in...same thing...What gives? What am I missing??? huh.gif Why wont the ignition engage the starter? And why will the starter not engage (turn the engine over) when it is done manually by connecting the poles?
-Jared
Aaron Cox
man/... trouble finds you way too easily! wacko.gif
ClayPerrine
The 2 heavy contacts on the solenoid are only have the equasion. When you supply power to the second terminal, it powers the motor only. When you apply power to the start contact on the solenoid, it turns on an electromagnet. That magnet pulls the gear into the flywheel, and also completes the circuit between the battery post and the starter motor.

Take a jumper wire and jump the starter from the start lead where the yellow wire is connnected to the battery positive lead. IF the starter works, then you have a bad start circuit on the car. If it doesn't, try the other connector on the solenoid. There are 2. One connector is the power in to the electromagnet, and the other is igniton coil out power (Not used on a 914).

HTH!!!
DrifterJay
I think the car is ready for storage now...I am tired <_<
DrifterJay
I tried running the wire...starter did the same thing....then it clicked....then it does nothing now...Jesus.. I wub.gif this car
DrifterJay
thought the 4th engine would be the lucky one to Run.... laugh.gif
DrifterJay
bump...anybody?
SLITS
Jump with a screwdriver from the terminal where the battery (+) cable connects to one of the spade terminals on the solenoid. If your + cable is good, the starter should engage and spin. If not, your + cable is no good or you do not have a good connection to the battery - also, your battery ground could be bad.

You can test the starter on the ground by hooking a bat + lead to the top big terminal on the solenoid and bolting the bat - lead to the starter housing. Then jump from the + connection to the spade terminal. Have a good hold on the starter. The bendix should jump out and the motor turn. If this doesn't happen the starter is bad.
DrifterJay
ok...just realized my battery is virtually dead... biggrin.gif ...just enough for the idiot lights....well see how it is with actual power in a little while... rolleyes.gif
skline
I knew something didnt sound right. I think Aaron is right, you are too easy for problems to find. Its almost always something you would not expect. Something really simple. Got Jumper cables???
DrifterJay
ok...looking over all the wiring....checking out the relay board...pull out the engine harness plug and realize that in a moment of brilliance, I put the plug in with all the prongs moved one backwards...if that makes sense....it turns over now...
skline
BTDT lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
skline
So does it run now??? I want to go to bed now but will wait to hear if you have a running car.
JB 914
don't listen to SKLINE on the wiring. i've got the crispy wires to prove it HA!
skline
QUOTE(joe buckle @ Nov 23 2004, 11:20 PM)
don't listen to SKLINE on the wiring. i've got the crispy wires to prove it HA!

You got it back from the mechanic that way buddy! Get off my case silly man.
SLITS
His sig was true........."just enough to be dangerous".

Just a dead battery slap.gif lol2.gif

Sorry, the happy11.gif made me do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.