Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New to the 914 family!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stefs914
Hey guys my name is Stefan i just picked up my very first 914 i've always wanted one but the closest thing i got to it was a 944.
The story of how i came to own this car is almost as cool as the car itself.

I have a friend who does appliance repair and made a service call to a home and noticed the 914 sitting in the driveway looking sad. He then asked what the story behind the car was, they began to tell him all the memories behind the car and the good times they had in it til about 10 years ago when his wife became pregnant and the car got put on the back burner and stayed there. They went on to say that its killing them watching it just sit there, (this is when it gets great!) they told my friend that they wanted to GIVE the car away to someone who would take care of it and restore it. So my friend being the great guy he is called me right after he left their home.

I went and put it on the trailer the next day and began to pull this 914 from the grave. both rear brakes were completely locked so we had to take the calipers off and a whole number of things went down hill but, eventually by 12:30AM we got the car on the trailer and took it home. needless to say I am so excited to start this journey (i know it'll be long) and see how this car turns out. I loved the 944 forum when i was on it so i'm excited to be apart of this team.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
timothy_nd28
welcome.png Hopefully it won't take much to get this back on the road! driving.gif
porschefile2010
Welcome. These little cars sure are heaps of fun. I have an S2 as well. It will be interesting to see what you find when you get into your project. Still think I prefer the vinyl on the sails but that's being picky.
Just got mine running today after a full resto so will put some pics up when I get home from work.
poorsche914
Very cool! welcome.png

driving.gif
bandjoey
Put 914rubber on your favorites. Happy 914ing. Be sure to post restoration pictures. Carbs or FI?
stefs914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Apr 27 2013, 10:12 PM) *

Put 914rubber on your favorites. Happy 914ing. Be sure to post restoration pictures. Carbs or FI?

Carbs and as far as i know its all original and was restored in 2000.
Hopefully it won't take much to get her running first thing i'm going to is drain and change all the fluids change out battery, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, condensor, and all that jazz then see if she fires.
I don't have the tools to do a compression test. but is there anything i'm missing i should do before i try and crank it over?

I'll for sure be posting pictures as i go along.
thanks for the warm welcome. piratenanner.gif
timothy_nd28
You could install this electronic point module, not necessary though
Click to view attachment
steuspeed
welcome.png You are going to love it. If you have fog lights, this is a must have mod.

http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/fog.htm
porschecb
welcome.png Enjoy!
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
Drums66
....WELCOME.... flag.gif shades.gif
bye1.gif
rick 918-S
FYI: The cars come from the factory with Fuel Injection not Carbs.

welcome.png
PanelBilly
Welcome
stefs914
Any ideas on batteries anything specific you guys like to use i've used optima on all my other cars.

Currently buying all the other parts right now. going to start cleaning her up and really digging into it this week i'll be posting pictures. biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Do yourself a favor and replace the tunnel fuel lines. Too many cars have been lost to fuel fires from 30+ year old plastic lines that split and leak. Same with the rubber hoses on the engine. Check the member vendor section for sources. welcome.png
stefs914
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Apr 28 2013, 06:11 PM) *

THanks steusspeed i haven't got the hang of searching on this forum yet.
stefs914
just got some new parts from gpr yesterday doing some clean up on the carbs then draining the rest of the fluid then i'll see if she starts up!
mdelwiche
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 27 2013, 08:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I just installed the Pertonix II electronic ignition into my distributor yesterday, super easy to do...won't know how it works until I get the engine back in the car though... wacko.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mdelwiche @ May 5 2013, 10:32 PM) *

QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Apr 27 2013, 08:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I just installed the Pertonix II electronic ignition into my distributor yesterday, super easy to do...won't know how it works until I get the engine back in the car though... wacko.gif

I put this in mine 3 years ago , so far, so good!
basically the same thing

http://www.hot-spark.com/1-Porsche.htm

welcome.png

fun stuff, like yours, when i bought mine it had been sitting out for a while and the P.O. had not been able to get it running, but it had good compression and would fire when starter was sprayed into the throttle body(mine is injection)- had it running in 2 weeks, and on the road quickly- good suggestions from all above here is what i would suggest:

- pull your fuel tank and clean it out- replace the filter and internal tank screen-
replace all your fuel lines and hoses unless it was done recently-

-make sure you flush your brakes, and that they are working properly(safety first!)

once on the road you will begin to find a few other things that need to be sorted out. - but thats part of the fun!

- carbs are a pain in my opinion, - if its sat a long time you have some cleaning and rebuilding to do probably- there are guys that have experience with them here and like them and will give you good advice but they were designed with FI and your overall milage and performance would be better , that said i'd stay with the carbs for now, see if you can sort them out ( if there has been and engine rebuild and the cam has been switched out that may effect what you do as well)

either way, just have full learning how it all works and get it on the road and enjoy it.

if the previous owner was able to keep some records and pass along that history, that can be really helpful to know what has been done and when.
keep posting your progress! and- everyone here enjoys lots of pictures!

TheCabinetmaker
The Cap'n will be along shortly to tell you about those Bosch items.
zymurgist
welcome.png
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.